Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-07 05:55:13

Bruce Hunter

Intro

Greetings!
Another newbie here. I like the longer flutes, mostly playing 37.5 inch and 40 inch flutes by Perry Yung. I study the honkyku, but find myself getting lost in the sounds. I like exploring the sonic possibilities of the instrument, and have punched some holes in a few pieces of bamboo for my own amusement. Current projects include exploration of multiphonics, and edge/flageolet tones.
Regards,
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#2 2006-03-13 19:43:39

bluespiderweb

Re: Intro

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Greetings!
Another newbie here. I like the longer flutes, mostly playing 37.5 inch and 40 inch flutes by Perry Yung. I study the honkyku, but find myself getting lost in the sounds. I like exploring the sonic possibilities of the instrument, and have punched some holes in a few pieces of bamboo for my own amusement. Current projects include exploration of multiphonics, and edge/flageolet tones.
Regards,
Bruce

Hello Bruce, and Welcome!

I'm new also, and I have a flute by Perry too, but mine is only 28.5"!  I feel kind of small next to your instruments!  Must be Shakuhachi envy, Ha ha!  Seriously, I would love to try one of the larger flutes like yours!  How different are they in tone and playability?

Did you start off on smaller shakuhachi, or did you just go for the big ones right off?  I tend to like the low tones on most flutes, and go for the lower keys usually, even if people say I should start on a higher one.  I can understand you getting lost in the sounds.

I want to get some bamboo too,  to try making some, just for the experience, and the off chance that I might be able to create something that sounds good enough to play!

Anyway, welcome too!

Last edited by bluespiderweb (2006-03-13 19:46:49)

Be well,  Barry

#3 2006-04-10 03:48:39

Bruce Hunter

Hi Barry,
Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in replying. Starting a new business was making for some very long days. I started on a 1.9 gift flute, and started accumulating and playing longer flutes almost immediately. By al means, get some bamboo, or maybe some pvc pipe to experiment with! The downside is that flute making can be even more additive than playing. 8^)
Regards,
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#4 2006-04-10 16:32:35

kyoreiflutes
Website

Hi Bruce, and welcome.

I just finished a 3.8 flute, out of some spare bamboo I had been making Hocchiku with. It's not accurate...I cute the bamboo how long I wanted it, knowing full well that it would'nt be "in tune", then placed the holes as far apart as my fingers would allow. It now plays a very low "ro", but it turns out that the holes I made play pretty well in tune with not only the ro, but with each other! I guess I got lucky.

So, even though it's not a "traditional" flute, it has an awesome sound, and it plays well. It's certainly an excellent meditation flute, especially if all you're into playing is Ro. It also makes some interesting harmonic sounds whenI want it to...I'm thinking about hooking up a mic to play some odd effects with it live.

I'll post pics and soundclips later.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-04-11 04:03:24

Bruce Hunter

-E!
A 3.8! What pitch does it play? Long flutes do seem to have their own special capabilities regarding manipulation of harmonic components, and multiphonics seem to want to just come screaming right out of them. When I feel the need for an extra low Bb, I've got a 60 inch piece of bamboo that seems to want to play there. (It's really a didgeridoo, but I won't tell if you won't.) 8^)
Bruce

#6 2006-04-11 15:51:57

kyoreiflutes
Website

The flute starts at C3 for the first note, then on to Gb3, a little sharp of Ab, a little sharp of B, a little sharp of D, then a little sharp of F. I plan on playing with the holes when I get a better way to grind them open. I realize that this isn't "traditional" tuning, but I wanted something that was a bit of a cross between a Shakuhachi and a Digeridoo.

I recommend making one, just for fun.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer