Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-28 11:27:49

pagacks
Troll

Balancing the overall pitch

Am currently making a root end. I have not yet drilled the holes. The ro kan is flat relative to ro otsu. If I just want the flute to be in tune with itself, can I consider the ro kan as ok and the ro otsu as sharp. If so, will I get it right by opening the bore a bit from the choke point to the bottom? Thanks.

Last edited by pagacks (2007-04-29 10:57:47)

#2 2007-04-28 13:27:59

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Balancing the overall pitch

pagacks wrote:

Am currently making a root end. I have not yet drilled the holes. The otsu kan is flat relative to otsu ro. If I just want the flute to be in tune with itself, can I consider the otsu kan as ok and the otsu ro as sharp. If so, will I get it right by opening the bore a bit from the choke point to the bottom? Thanks.

Ro and ro kan octave tuning problems are often the result of 1/2 the bore length having too much or too little volume (space). If you slide a chopstick or two into the top half of the bore, ro kan should sharpen considerably. If it balances the two pitches, you can fill in the upper half or remove in the bottom half.

A few other options would be to spot fill at the 1/4 and 3/4 points in the bore or remove at the 1/2 point.

Opening from the choke point to the end of the flute will most likely sharpen both ro and ro kan. Also, you might want to doublecheck that you are blowing ro kan with enough power. It can be easy to play this note flat.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

KL

#3 2007-04-28 17:56:25

pagacks
Troll

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the many inputs. I like the chopstick method. Will tell you of result.
Pagacks

#4 2007-05-09 19:46:01

pagacks
Troll

Hi Ken,

Used your chopstick method tying a paint brush stem with string. I found the tune balanced when it reached the lowest portion the tip flush with the bottom. I noted the length of the string using the method of Perry. The ro otsu stayed although a bit weaker but the ro kan which was previously flat went up and aligned with the ro otsu. (Now I have to ask how to make the otsu ro volume stronger).
I next substituted the "chopstick" with a wet newspaper in the same area and got the same result.
I'll subsequently read on what to use instead of urushi paste to fill up that section.
Thanks this is certainly fun. It actually salvaged the culm more so that this is a root end.

#5 2007-05-10 10:57:40

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

pagacks wrote:

(Now I have to ask how to make the otsu ro volume stronger).

Some possible fixes for ro are looking at the choke point, opening up the bottom end, adjusting the top end opening, adjusting in the middle of the bore. However, it's always better to look at all the problems of the flute at once as well as the strong points, figure out all the possible fixes of multiple problems without messing up the strengths, then try to do things in the most efficient way. Without looking at the flute myself, we could be chasing our tails here!

Don't worry if it doesn't work out. Bore work takes a long time to develop. It's anything but linear. In the first few years of flutemaking, I think it's probably better to leave it alone and concentrate on some of the more fundamental steps and get a number of flutes under your belt.

In the shop I sometimes come across half made (stumper) flutes from years back. If I can fix them I'm always glad that I waited at the time and moved on to the next one.

Good luck!

Ken

#6 2007-05-15 12:04:43

pagacks
Troll

Thanks again Ken.

#7 2007-05-16 19:51:52

pagacks
Troll

Hi Ken,

I'd like to report to you that I salvaged another old flute I made way back 6 months ago with your chopstick method. It had the same problem of flat kan notes. I cut a wooden dowel, dipped it completely in wood glue and inserted it into the lower half of the flute which part had a bigger diameter than the upper part, being a non root end culm.

This beats the newspaper method since it's faster and the dowel is stiff and can be pushed easily into the bore.

Lo and behold, the shakuhachi is now well tuned from otsu to kan. Thus did I apply your two tips: the chopstick method and the wait and fix later method.

I'm especially happy since this flute has a very nice voice and it has found its complete one after such a long time. Thanks once again.

Last edited by pagacks (2007-05-16 19:54:14)

Board footer