Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-01 10:16:23

Ash

Recent TaikOz shows

It's related to shakuhachi, so I figure it's alright to post this. wink Just wondering if any other Australians caught the recent lot of shows by TaikOz? The number of styles and instruments they now incorporate is fantastic, and Timothy Constable's work on the marimba was stunning. Worked very well alongside the 'standard' taiko instrumentation.

#2 2007-05-02 04:36:10

caffeind

Re: Recent TaikOz shows

Great stuff. Saw a trio perform at Angel Place about a month ago, and also saw the whole group at the Opera House.

#3 2011-02-22 22:55:33

captainfez

TaikOz are hitting the road again very soon. There's a reprise of the Blessings of the Earth programme at Angel Place in Sydney on April 28th which will be worth a look: oni-ken-bai makes an appearance!

If you haven't seen it, it's a demon sword/fan dance from Iwate prefecture, and is pretty stunning. I've been lucky enough to be able to learn some of it, and trust me, it's much, much harder than it looks! I shudder to think how it'd go in full regalia...

Graham Hilgendorf's 'Shifting Sand' set will be run on these dates:

MARCH 18 (8pm) / DRUM THEATRE, DANDENONG, VIC
MARCH 26 (8pm) / THE PLAYHOUSE, CANBERRA THEATRE, ACT (there's an introduction-to-taiko workshop the day prior to this performance)
APRIL 2 (8pm) / SUTHERLAND ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NSW

(Any new/future dates are available from their Performances page.)

If you haven't had a chance to see the crew play, I'd really recommend it. Both these programmes are great. And there's some lovely shakuhachi in both, too.

If anyone in Sydney is considering joining their weekly classes, I can only urge you to DO IT. One of the most excellent things I've ever done.

#4 2011-02-23 04:34:34

Jam

I love Taiko, I played in a festival when I lived Kitakyushu and it was an amazing experience! I wish there was a Taiko club in Oxford.

I just looked up Onikenbai, it looks exhausting in armour!

Board footer