Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-04 12:22:16

shinkage ryu

Kyushu Reibo

I have been looking for the manuscript for this Kinko Ryu piece for a while now.  Does anyone know where I could find it?  I can usually learn pieces by ear, but I like to have the music for them as well.  Thanks

“What sort of person are you, really, inside and what lies concealed there?”—the shakuhachi will undoubtedly supply the answer"

(taken from: "Take No Kokoro" by by Kurahashi Yodo Sensei)

#2 2007-05-04 14:17:18

dstone
Website

Re: Kyushu Reibo

shinkage ryu wrote:

I have been looking for the manuscript for this Kinko Ryu piece for a while now.  Does anyone know where I could find it?

Did you try Monty?  (shakuhachi.com)

It looks like you can get the single score (or in a set) from him:  http://www.shakuhachi.com/SM-Tokuyama.html

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-05-04 17:49:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Guys,

The piece in the Tokuyama notation is a different song than Kinko Ryu "Kyushu Reibo".

Tokuyama's "Kyushu Reibo" is actually the same piece as "Yamagoe" or "Reiho" in the "Dokyoku" school.

The Kinko ryu song with the same name is in the Miura Kindo notation which John Singer is selling elsewhere on the forum. Otherwise you probably might want to study it with a Kinko teacher and get the notation from them.

Unless of course you really want to learn that other piece in which case either Tokuyama's or Yokoyama's notation will work because they use Kinko notation to write their scores.

Isn't this confusing?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-05-04 18:24:31

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

The Kinko ryu song with the same name is in the Miura Kindo notation which John Singer is selling elsewhere on the forum.

Adding to the confusion ...

Is the Miura Kindo notation rendered in an older, more complex pre-Kawase I Kinko notation style? Anyone have examples of of what is considered the older style?

(ref. http://www.komuso.com/people/Kawase_Junsuke_I.html)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2007-05-04 18:28:09

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

The Kinko ryu song with the same name is in the Miura Kindo notation which John Singer is selling elsewhere on the forum.

Adding to the confusion ...

Is the Miura Kindo notation rendered in an older, more complex pre-Kawase I Kinko notation style? Anyone have examples of of what is considered the older style?

(ref. http://www.komuso.com/people/Kawase_Junsuke_I.html)

It's highly stylized. Very difficult to read. But beautiful.

#6 2007-05-04 18:37:01

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

It's highly stylized. Very difficult to read. But beautiful.

'Stylized' as in  Jin Nyodo's notation?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2007-05-04 18:50:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jin Nyodo's is easier to read, in my opinion. Jin Nyodo took his repertoire from several different sources therefore he is much more detailed since he is dealing with a lot of different techniques and movements.

Kinko honkyoku deal with a specific set of cliches or patterns and once you know them you don't need a lot of detail in the score. You just know the Kinko way of playing tsu-re for example. They write tsu-re but in realitly it's much more complicated than that.

Jin Nyodo has a variety of different tsu-re for example and graphically illustrates them in different ways.

Here's the standard Kinko style. Miura Kindo's is similar but thinner and elongated.

http://zenflute.com/kinko.html

#8 2007-05-07 11:36:24

shinkage ryu

I would like to study this piece with a Kinko teacher, Unfortunately, there are none in my area.  All of the learning I have had thus far is through the computer.  I have only practiced Kinko style honkyoku.  It is the only type I know how to read fairly adequately.  I heard the piece on an album called "Kyotaku Live" by and artist named tilopa on magantune.com.  I would like to buy the manuscript so I can work on perfecting this specific piece.  I did not know that some pieces crossed over into different styles.  Very cool

“What sort of person are you, really, inside and what lies concealed there?”—the shakuhachi will undoubtedly supply the answer"

#9 2007-05-07 21:21:59

-Prem

The piece Kyushu Reibo from the album "Kyotaku Live" is not Kinko Style Honkyoku. It is actually honkyoku as taught by Koku Nishimura. His group is the Myoan Tani-ha taken from Koku Nishimura's teacher Kyochiku Tani.
Here is the info from the Komuso.com website:

Koku Nishimura started playing the bamboo flute when he was 28 years old. He was taught by a "komuso" named Kyochiku Tani. Later, Koku Nishimura became a master flutist and founded the Tani-sect of flute players. He named the special type of bamboo flute used by himself and his pupils, "kyotaku." Koku Nishimura became a komuso and for ten years he walked around Japan and played kyotaku. He tought students from all over the world, and he has made over 2,000 kyotaku flutes. In addition to being a flute master, he was an accomplished woodcarver and painter. He had a black belt with six dan in Okinawa karate and a black belt with three dan in Kendo. In addition, he was the Honorary Director of the Ruo-yan Buddism Association in China.

Koku Nishimura's pieces most closely resemble Myoan Honkyoku. Some might say it IS Myoan, only Koku Nishimura's style.

I would suggest contacting one of Koku Nishimura's students by email. There are many in Europe and I am sure they would be glad to help. I think there is also a couple students of this particular style on this froum also.

I hope this helps.
-Prem

#10 2007-05-08 05:09:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

shinkage ryu wrote:

I would like to study this piece with a Kinko teacher, Unfortunately, there are none in my area.  All of the learning I have had thus far is through the computer.  I have only practiced Kinko style honkyoku.  It is the only type I know how to read fairly adequately.  I heard the piece on an album called "Kyotaku Live" by and artist named tilopa on magantune.com.  I would like to buy the manuscript so I can work on perfecting this specific piece.  I did not know that some pieces crossed over into different styles.  Very cool

Then it's not the Kinko piece you are referring to. It would be Myoan. Tokuyama's notation would probably be what you're looking for in the sense that it's the Myoan piece, but the notation uses Kinko symbols. He also has a recording of it and then you can match the two up.

#11 2007-05-22 15:11:48

shinkage ryu

excellent.  You all have been a great help to me.  I have talked frequently with a lot of Koku's students , unfortunately, they all live over seas.  Is there any where that I can buy the Kinko ryu version of this piece?  I have never heard it before.  thanks!

Board footer