Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-14 19:24:12

nimbus

Hello

Hi, my name is David Yokota, I’m a Japanese-Canadian, but I can’t speak Japanese very well.  I’ve been playing Shakuhachi for thirty years, but my daughter and wife still don’t like my playing, so I play in the washroom or in the basement.  Even our bird flies from my shoulder to the other end of the room when I play; and I can’t blame them.  But I love to play Shakuhachi.  I now have an upper denture and the rest of my teeth are bad.  I could wear a hearing aid, but I don’t.  But I love to play Shakuhachi.  I am 56 years old, and retired.  My wife and I sold everything and plan to travel for five years or longer.  We are now in Orlando, Florida and plan to stay here for a few more months.  You see, my wife’s enjoyment is the most important thing to me.   But I love to play Shakuhachi.  I’m just a regular guy with many obstacles to overcome.  But I love to play Shakuhachi.  So, if you miss hitting that perfect note, think of me, you’ve progressed much quicker than I have.  But I still love playing Shakuhachi.  Now, it’s funny, but the only thing I still yearn for, is to be able to play for an audience, even though, my sound is not good.  That little pebble of desire is still there, and that’s probably why; I love to play Shakuhachi.  Maybe we could discuss that?  There are some very interesting people in the forum.  I’ll try to do my part in keeping an honest perspective.

#2 2005-12-15 03:21:56

John Roff

Re: Hello

Hi David

I am very much a beginner in this shakuhachi scene, and I hope will remain so. At the moment my honkyoku repertoire consists of 4 phrases of Choshi (Honshirabe), which I'm polishing. This will go on my whole life I think. But I, like you, love playing the instrument, and discovering what it can do.

In terms of an audience, I am doing an interesting thing here in the botanical garden where I work. I offer flute walks - an hour and a half of a stroll in the garden, while I play shakuhachi and other bamboo flutes at various places in the garden, depending on what inspires me. The people find it very peaceful and uplifting, some of the music they like, and some they don't. So I have an audience, it is just a few people, but it brings them pleasure to hear the music in this natural setting, and it brings me pleasure to see them enjoying it.

Maybe you could seek out such audiences - I once played in an aquarium - and see what happens. I'm sure there are some lovely gardens and even aquariums around Orlando.

I wish you well.

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

Board footer