You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-29 23:37:06

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Yamaguchi Shugetsu @ Bamboo-In

Dear Shakuhachi Folks and Friends,

There has been a change in the Hocchiku Workshop, at Bamboo-In on the Sunshine Coast this June 16-17. The renowned maker, Yamaguchi Shugetsu has graciously agreed to lead the workshop. 

Yamaguchi Shugetsu is one of the foremost makers of traditional shakuhachi based in Nara, Japan. He is well-known for his exceptionally high quality jiari and especially for his jinashi shakuhachi flutes.

Born in Nara, Japan, Yamaguchi has been making shakuhachi for over 25 years. He trained under the reknowned shakuhachi master craftsman, Tamai Chikusen for 7 years before embarking on his own career. Yamaguchi makes all styles of shakuhachi (Tozan, Kinko, Meian) but specializes in extremely responsive and dynamic "Shugetsu" jinashi chokan shakuhachi (2.0-3.6 sizes). These flutes are prime honkyoku/musical instruments. Some of his clients include: Katsuya Yokoyama, Riley Lee, Tadashi Tajima, Toshimitsu Ishikawa, and Yoshio Kurahashi.

There are a couple of spaces available for anyone interested in joining, deadline is June 1st. Spaces are going fast! E-mail or call me ASAP if you want to join.

This is a rare opportunity to receive instruction from one of the top shakuhachi craftsman in the world today.

If you would like to see and audition any of his flutes please contact me and I will tell him to bring it with him.

For more information on the workshop please go to: http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/Summe … kshop.html

Very best regards,

Alcvin

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Shakuhachi Bamboo Flute Arts
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@dccnet.com
WEB: www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm
www.myspace.com/alcvintakegawaramos
www.myspace.com/shindake

I live a shakuhachi life.

#2 2007-05-30 05:30:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Yamaguchi Shugetsu @ Bamboo-In

Yamaguchi Shugetsu is one of the BEST makers in the world today, especially for long flutes, so make it if you can.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-06-18 22:17:37

dstone
Website

Just passing along my "review" of the weekend workshop...

The workshop was outdoors, both days.  Long days.  Natural setting, nestled away in the rainforests of the Canadian Pacific coast.  Mostly overcast, comfortable, some heavy rain (we all stayed dry and it wasn't cold), and we ended on a warm, sunny note.  Aching muscles.  5:30am and 7:30pm, two-hour zazen sessions at the temple for those who partook in the mind-emptying and post-meditation flute playing.  (Except Saturday night when everyone skipped the cushion out for more sanding and filing!  Sorry, Master Henry!)

Yamaguchi Sensei was extremely generous with sharing tips, flute-making philosophy, and lots of hands-on help for everyone.  He has very strong ideas about what makes a good flute and didn't hold back in sharing opinions.  His intuition for solving flute problems, tuning, creating tone color, balancing, etc. is amazing.  We had several people to translate (thanks again, Koji!) and I think we all learned a -lot- and came away with flutes that we'll treasure.  I hope he enjoyed himself, too!

Of course, Yamaguchi also brought a large collection of his own flutes that left our eyes wide and jaws on the floor.  He insisted we try them all and it was like feeding frenzy of flute noodling.  Most of those flutes were for those with a "professional budget" and he suggested we should all use those flutes as references... but that we should make our own even -better-.  What a joker! 

Al and Sandra worked their asses off with labor and hospitality and I'm sure everyone felt at home.  The food knocked everyone's socks off, but we probably ate it too fast to enjoy it properly!  We had people from Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria, Edmonton, Illinois, and New York.  Then it was all over and most had to rush for ferries, sailboats, and airplanes home.  I made new friends, lasting memories, and I hope to see you all again!

Here's the whole group. 

http://bitmason.com/tmp/2007_SSBC_jinashikan_workshop_group_720.jpg
For those who attended, if you want a better file to make a print, download this.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-06-18 22:58:46

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I wish I was there..Maybe next year.

I am wondering, what's the pitch of that big stick Alvin is holding:-)

G

#5 2007-06-21 03:26:45

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Hello Forum,

Thanks Darren for the great review and for being a part of the workshop!

I did a brief write up of the 2007 hocchiku making workshop (which includes the delicious menu!) here:

http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/hocchikumaking3.htm

Here is the photo album of the photos I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shakuhachi … 413242217/

Geni, the shaku-staff that I am holding in the photo is pitched in "C".

Very best,

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm
www.myspace.com/alcvintakegawaramos
www.myspace.com/shindake

I live a shakuhachi life.

#6 2007-06-21 20:06:15

-Prem

Hello Alcvin and Darren(or anyone else that was at the Shugetsu workshop for that matter)-

I had a 2.5 Shugetsu jinashi in my possession for a very short time(like 3 days). I really liked the way his bore looked on this particular shakuhachi. No urushi, very clean and a lot of node. I am curious, how did Shugetsu suggest to cure/prepare the bores of non-urushi shakuhachi? Oil? Something else?

All of my Hotchiku except one are non-urushi and I just coat them with Camellia oil now and then, but I presume there is a better way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Prem

#7 2007-06-22 00:17:41

dstone
Website

Hi Prem.

Yamaguchi Shugetsu does not oil his bores.  He didn't say if oil would do any other harm or good, but he specifically said oil would offer no protection against cracking if that's what's on your mind.  You just have to look at his flutes to see that raw and urushi lacquer are his two preferences for jinashi bores.

Ed and others suggested a while back that oiling is basically something you do if you like the look of it and if it makes -you- feel better to do it once in a while.

I used tung oil in the bore of one wide bore jinashi a while back.  After that experience, I don't have strong feelings one way or another about it.  It definitely hardened and smoothed the bore and improved its breath condensation resistance.  Did it change the flute's character?  Sure, I think mayyyybe, but that could be the placebo effect.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#8 2007-06-22 19:01:38

-Prem

Hello Darren-
Thanks for the reply!

-Prem

Board footer