Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-11 22:59:01

dstone
Website

Greetings, from Vancouver

Hi everyone.  I was just made aware of this site by Ed Beaty (edosan here, I believe).  Took a very quick browse... what a great resource for a beginner like myself!

Anyways, I'm Darren, I live in Vancouver, Canada, and I'm a student of honkyoku on jinashi shakuhachi under Alcvin Takegawa Ramos.  I've been studying for just over a year now.  I recently returned from Al's annual Shakuhachi Roots Pilgrimage and have photos of the whole, crazy three weeks to share if anyone's interested.  http://bitmason.com/photo/japan2005

Maybe I'll think of a few more things to say about the trip (besides "WOW") in the Miscellaneous Forum later...

Thanks to everyone here for making yet another great online community!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2006-01-11 23:57:43

dstone
Website

Re: Greetings, from Vancouver

Hmm.  I see others are giving a bit more breadth in their intros, so here are some more vital stats... 

I'm 36.  Previous to my current shakuhachi pursuits, I submitted myself during my teen years to Royal Conservatory Piano.  I dabble in electronics, including hacking together strange electronic musical instruments.  My academic training, professional life, and much of my free time (beyond blowing bamboo now) centers around computer science, math, game theory, and the like. 

Living in Vancouver keeps me close to the mountains, ocean, trees, and rain -- essential for my sanity.

Last May, I partcipated in a jinashi-making workshop with Murai-san at Bamboo-In on the Sunshine Coast.  (I think a few other forum members were there also.)  The result, for me, was a surprisingly playable 2.9.  My other flute is a wonderful 2.4 from the hand of Kodama-san.  This coming spring, I look forward to butchering up one or two of the five pieces of bamboo that returned with me from Japan in December.

All this bamboo talk has me stoked...

Blowing in rainy Vancouver,
Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-01-12 01:01:57

Bogert

Hello and welcome,
     Those pictures are great.  Looks like you had alot good times.  I live down in Washington but have never managed to get to Vancouver for some reason.  If your ever down in Olympia, Wa for some unknown reason your more than welcome to visit.
                                                                                                           Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#4 2006-01-12 15:24:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

dstone...you aren't by chance on the Replica Prop Forum, are you? Your screen name is familliar to me, but it's probably just a coincidence.

I'm originally from up in Whitehorse, YT...nice to see a fellow Canuck around here.

-Eddie
Kyorei Flutes

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-01-12 15:42:17

dstone
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

dstone...you aren't by chance on the Replica Prop Forum, are you? Your screen name is familliar to me, but it's probably just a coincidence.

Hi Eddie.  Nope, must be a coincidence!  Nice to meet you, too, though!

Board footer