Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-17 20:08:33

Eclipse
Troll

Help with Shakuhachi

I am new to the Shakuhachi. I have a PVC Shakuhachi that I brought a few years ago. It still sounds good and gives me that deep, calm, sorrowful sound. I have no idea how to play this flute. I printed out some fingering notations online but I do not know where to go from there.

It says that to get the octave, one must over blow. I over blow but all it gives me is a squeaky breathy noise, almost as if my breath were not enough (I assume this is normal for beginners).

Any advice for this new Shakuhachi player?

#2 2008-02-17 20:52:15

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Help with Shakuhachi

Hello and welcome.
My advice would be to take some lessons if possible. Where are you located?

#3 2008-02-17 21:20:09

Eclipse
Troll

I am located around NYC. Lessons seem expensive at the time if there are any. Is it possible to learn Shakuhachi by oneself?

#4 2008-02-17 21:37:57

withaquietmind
Website

I suppose you should decide what kind of shakuhachi future your interested first.  It is possible to learn to play without a teacher but you'll be missing much of what (I think) makes the shakuhachi the shakuhachi.  I think the playing skills you learn from a teacher are a relatively small part of the experience. 

I'm also very new to the flute (2 months or so) and I can say that having a regular teacher has improved my playing skills dramatically and also inspired me to even greater potentials and possibilities.  I'm takings lessons with Michael Gould online.  I understand there are other teachers on this forum that also offer online lessons. 

Then again, I hear that NYC is a shakuhachi goldmine smile

Welcome!

Last edited by withaquietmind (2008-02-17 21:40:09)

newborn on the bus-
where is your destination?
I'm going to work

#5 2008-02-17 21:47:29

Eclipse
Troll

Wow, I never thought NYC was a Shakuhachi gold mine. I dont intend to go on concerts with Shakuhachi. I am simply doing it out of my love for music. I wouldnt mind performing for musical workshops but I would not go all "concert" on it.

I would like to get the basics of the instrument down. Like I said, I have fingering charts but I do not know where to go from there. I would really like to play Japanese minyo (folk music) with the Shakuhachi. A variety of this can be found on youtube.

#6 2008-02-17 23:37:54

Lance

If you aren't able to create notes yet, practice more. I think even without a teacher you can experiment, along with reading about proper emboucher (this site has a ton of references), and you'll improve a LOT. Keep at it. Also buy some Shakuhachi CDs and 'listen'. (I've been practicing on my own for less than a month, and I've improved quite a bit).

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#7 2008-02-18 08:53:52

Zakarius

My own first year of practice involved listening to the CDs I'd come to really love (the mostly slower honkyoku you don't seem too interested in) and then playing along with a CD & sheet music I bought online. My abilities developed slowly but steadily and I was happy with my progress. Later on, I hit something of a plateau and decided to give online lessons a try (as I'm nowhere near a local teacher). I've improved dramatically during this time. Though I don't know of teachers who specifically teach minyo from the get-go, perhaps you'll find one. Alternatively, if you study a handful of easier honkyoku pieces you like more, that should give you a great leap foward into being able to play Japanese folk songs. (I think there are a few playing manuals out there which include a number of such songs, so you might wanna keep an eye out for those, as well.)

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#8 2008-02-18 18:50:59

ima_hima

NYC IS a shakuhachi goldmine. There are two dai shihans (i.e. very, very highly rated players) here, and a any number of other licensed teachers, as well, in Kinko and Tozan schools (I can't think of any dokyoku teachers off-hand). Plus, there are regular concerts (some free) where you can see great performers (for instance, Ronnie Seldin, Jim Schlefer and Yoshio Kurahashi all played together just last week).

I've been studying for a little over four years, and there have been many, many times that I got over a substantial hump because of my teacher, which I would never have gotten over on my own. I play a couple other instruments, and shakuhachi is by far the most challenging.

I think you should definitely contact Ronnie or Jim. If money is tight, ask about going only once or twice a month, or whether one of them has a licensed student who might be giving lessons at lower rates. In the long run, it will be well worth it.

-Eric

#9 2008-02-18 19:22:37

Eclipse
Troll

Time and money is sort of tight. Would it be possible if I can just learn by myself at the time? I have no desire to learn from a specific school at the time.

Any other advice?

#10 2008-02-18 19:40:45

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Blow when you can, be attentive, enjoy...

Peace my friend...

Omnia mea mecum porto

#11 2008-02-18 20:35:06

Eclipse
Troll

That is what I like about the Shakuhachi. One blows and experiences the moment. The breath is life and the ending breath is the end...then again. So profound yet simple. I think it is best one of the advice from a website I saw "Be thankful for the sound you make and/or the sound you dont". Or as one described it "The breath of life"

#12 2008-02-19 02:06:24

radi0gnome
Website

Eclipse wrote:

Time and money is sort of tight. Would it be possible if I can just learn by myself at the time? I have no desire to learn from a specific school at the time.

Any other advice?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but for your aspirations I think you've got both the wrong flute and the wrong budget. I think you said you had a David Swindler flute. What I've seen of his "shakuhachi" is that he likes to be experimental in both mouthpiece shape and tuning. This is fine for free-form blowing, but not for any of the traditional styles. There are other low-budget alternatives for shakuhachi, but as far as playing traditional music, lessons are probably your best bet. I know some people here have made some strides learning notation and traditional music some by themselves, but personally I think this is more difficult and complicated than it is worthwhile.

Another route you can take is to just learn to blow and improvise by yourself. For this the most you'd need to take is a lesson or two or three to learn some blowing techniques. Depending on your experience with other flutes you can get pretty far completely on your own. This is basically the route that I've taken. The beauty of this is that you won't be as overwhelmed by needing to learn notation, music, and how to blow a hard to control instrument all at the same time. Besides that, your current instrument will be suitable. The drawback is that any time you come out of your isolation and converse with those going the lesson route, you'll feel like you don't know much.

In my case, since I don't want to commit to regular trips to NYC for lessons ever, I keep thinking that maybe eventually I'll visit a workshop where I can learn at least part of a traditional song. I don't thnk learning just one tune is all that bad, I've memorized over 100 Irish tunes and what do I have to show for it a few years later? I can only remember one. The same thing has happened with other performance related hobbies of mine. So why should I repeat the process with shakuhachi? I find it more satisfying to improvise, I don't find excercising my memory all that exciting anymore.

I know that Jon Kypros, or Shingetsu here on shakuhachiforum, is offering embouchure lessons in NYC to learn blowing. That would be a good place to start while you figure out what you want to do to meet your needs and will still suit your budget.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2008-02-19 09:21:11

Eclipse
Troll

Radi,

So what is my David Swindler "shakuhachi" good for? That is the only one I have. Would it be any good or is it any good?

#14 2008-02-19 09:24:59

Eclipse
Troll

I heard of a PVC Yuu Shakuhachi. Where can I find those?

#15 2008-02-19 10:12:15

edosan
Edomologist

Eclipse wrote:

I heard of a PVC Yuu Shakuhachi. Where can I find those?

http://www.shakuhachiyuu.com/

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#16 2008-02-19 11:49:24

Rtohan
TROLL

Dear Eclipse,

I suggest you don't listen to Radi0gnome because tragically, he has no idea what he is talking about. Think about it, the Shakuhachi is a beautiful flute. But in reality, what is it really? It is just a piece of hollowed out bamboo with holes and when you blow on it, a sound comes. Nowadays, these beautiful instruments made from a material that was highly prized because it was "nothing-special" is now ridiculously overpriced. I am pretty sure when they shakuhachi was first invented, they did not charged ridiculous prices.

As for the plastic flute that you describe, again do not listen to Radi0gnome. If you tested its sound against a real bamboo [which you have mentioned] and its sound is clear and nice, then you are sure to go. I find it horrible that he insulted you saying that he thinks you're on the wrong budget, wrong aspirations, wrong flute, etc etc. The keyword there is THINK. He doesnt know you, so he does not know what your aspirations really are.

Please don't get discouraged.

#17 2008-02-19 13:16:57

Alex

Rtohan wrote:

Dear Eclipse,

I suggest you don't listen to Radi0gnome because tragically, he has no idea what he is talking about. Think about it, the Shakuhachi is a beautiful flute. But in reality, what is it really? It is just a piece of hollowed out bamboo with holes and when you blow on it, a sound comes. Nowadays, these beautiful instruments made from a material that was highly prized because it was "nothing-special" is now ridiculously overpriced. I am pretty sure when they shakuhachi was first invented, they did not charged ridiculous prices.

As for the plastic flute that you describe, again do not listen to Radi0gnome. If you tested its sound against a real bamboo [which you have mentioned] and its sound is clear and nice, then you are sure to go. I find it horrible that he insulted you saying that he thinks you're on the wrong budget, wrong aspirations, wrong flute, etc etc. The keyword there is THINK. He doesnt know you, so he does not know what your aspirations really are.

Well, that's a really strong opinion for someone who just registered! (not that there's something wrong with that but I prefer the "Members Introduction"-intro version smile) Anyway, welcome to the forum!!

As for the post, first of all, saying that the Shakuhachi is just a hollow piece of bamboo with holes on it that makes sound is a bit exagerated as there are other hollow pieces of bamboo with holes in it that make sound and are not Shakuhachi. Now I don't know about David Swindler Shakuhachi but if they are radically innovative in any way, what Radio0gnome may be refering to is that either, they may be not suited for playing traditional pieces (there are notes in some of them that you would never imagine you need!) at best, or, if you are not interested on traditional music, they may affect the way you have to play the flute and hence you would not develop a "Shakuhachi Technique" but a "David Swindler Shakuhachi Tecnique".

Now, I insist that I have NOT tried those flutes so I guess, Eclipse, the best thing you can do (since you are in F$$$in' NYC, lucky Shakuhachi bastard!) is invest a few dollars (there are not that many really) in one class with a qualified teacher so he can check the flute, you can talk about your aspirations and he can give you feedback acordingly. You don't need to continue going if you don't feel like and you will have a much solid start.

Also, to add to the last post, I don't think all Shakuhachi have ridiculous prices, with our own forum member Perry Yung having some at very nice prices (let's not forget this is a piece of craftmanship!), Monty Levenson's cast bore series, second hand flutes available offered regularly by other Forum members, or the Yuu if you don't mind plastic (I was actually surprised how good the Yuu plays the first time I blew in it!).

I guess Shakuhachi were not that expensive at the beggining, but I guess they were not so highly worked instruments either (I haven't heard of any millionaires in the Shakuhachi making world so I guess the money must be divided on the time they have invested making the instrument), maybe at the beggining it was just about a hollow piece of bamboo with holes in it but (fortunately or not) they have evolved to what we know today. That, the housing boom (I wonder what part of the monthly salary had to go in those times to pay for a house!) and supply and demand (it happened with high-end Spanish guitars, once people outside Spain -many of them Japanese!- started buying them, their prices soared!)

Hope this is of any help

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#18 2008-02-19 16:02:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hey Rtohan/Eclipse,

Having conversations with yourself is a sign of mental illness. If you pull yourself together let us know by making some useful posts.

In the meantime the rest of you, be aware you are dealing with a troll here.

Ciao from Pisa,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#19 2008-02-19 16:05:59

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Hey Rtohan/Eclipse,

Having conversations with yourself is a sign of mental illness. If you pull yourself together let us know by making some useful posts.

In the meantime the rest of you, be aware you are dealing with a troll here.

Ciao from Pisa,

BR

My Kyoshaku is for hire anytime wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#20 2008-02-19 18:31:31

radi0gnome
Website

Rtohan wrote:

Dear Eclipse,

I suggest you don't listen to Radi0gnome...

This is so cool! I don't care if it's a troll talking to himself, I think some good discussion can come from this post.

Rtohan wrote:

... because tragically, he has no idea what he is talking about. Think about it, the Shakuhachi is a beautiful flute. But in reality, what is it really? It is just a piece of hollowed out bamboo with holes and when you blow on it, a sound comes.

This is exactly what I thought until about a year ago. And it's kind of true, there are lot's of shakuhachi, even made by respected makers, that aren't suitable for lessons. 

Rtohan wrote:

Nowadays, these beautiful instruments made from a material that was highly prized because it was "nothing-special" is now ridiculously overpriced. I am pretty sure when they shakuhachi was first invented, they did not charged ridiculous prices.

Tom Deaver's website says that the historical price was about a month's pay for a trade. That was about how long it took to make one. It seems like that hasn't changed for instruments that are suitable for lessons.     

Rtohan wrote:

As for the plastic flute that you describe, again do not listen to Radi0gnome. If you tested its sound against a real bamboo [which you have mentioned] and its sound is clear and nice, then you are sure to go.

A beginner testing against a bamboo flute doesn't really count. Try bringing it to a teacher. First off, Eclipse said the notes are in tune. That's a good start. But are they in tune through both octaves? Can you get into the third octave? How deep can you meri/kari? How does it respond to being overblown? These are all factors that go into deciding the quality of a flute, and there are probably more I'm unaware of. 

Rtohan wrote:

I find it horrible that he insulted you saying that he thinks you're on the wrong budget, wrong aspirations, wrong flute, etc etc. The keyword there is THINK. He doesnt know you, so he does not know what your aspirations really are.

I'm sorry if it sounded like an insult, but it sounds like Eclipse is set to run into the same problems I ran into in the early '90's when I got my first "shakuhachi". It was bamboo, and I'd still call it a shakuhachi, but it falls into the folk-flute category of shakuhachi. So, I buy some shakuhachi recordings and think "what's going on, this instrument isn't going to be able to get those sounds". So, I consider lessons, never got around to it, but eventually ran into someone taking lessons. Her shakuhachi looked entirely different, cost over $1000, and was the minimum of what I'd need. It wasn't that I didn't have the money at the time, but I didn't want to spend it. It was a disappointment, but I still enjoyed the folk-flute shakuhachi for many years after that. Eclipse said his aspirations were to play traditional music, has a David Swindler plastic flute,  and that he is on a budget that makes lessons impractical. It's true that I don't know a lot of other details, but those conditions strongly suggest that he too will be disappointed.     

Rtohan wrote:

I didn't mean to discourage. But something will need to change for Eclipse. Either he gives up the thought of learning traditional music for a while and just enjoy the David Swindler plastic flute as it is, or get a flute suitable for lessons and traditional music (he already knows about the Yuu option for this). Then the budget to pay lessons is another issue.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#21 2008-02-19 18:47:36

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I'm going to close this topic now. Many thanks to the honest, well intentioned members
who posted here. Yes, some good discussion can come from this, but we don't want to
encourage the creation of multiple identities by those who wish to deceive and cause
flame wars.

Despite the best of intentions, it's best not to respond to this type of troll.

Thanks everyone.

Ken

Board footer