Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-02-19 13:39:46

Seth

Re: shakuhachi weight

mrosenlof wrote:

I'll bet batches of the Yuu may vary in weight.

To check a scale, Wikipedia says a US nickel weighs 5 grams.  Maybe get a hundred of them...

A 1 yen coin is 1 gram, but I only have about 20 at home.

and of course there is that old standby that 1 ml of water = 1 gram.

#27 2008-02-19 17:40:08

nomaD43

mrosenlof wrote:

I'll bet batches of the Yuu may vary in weight.

To check a scale, Wikipedia says a US nickel weighs 5 grams.  Maybe get a hundred of them...

A 1 yen coin is 1 gram, but I only have about 20 at home.

Now that would, obviously be a new nickle or yen and not one that's been around the block a few times and has had a half gram or so worn away. But, then that would be splitting hairs.

#28 2008-05-16 13:45:26

Vevolis
Website

The flute that I just received from a very gracious exchange with Perry is a 530g 1.8... so it's chalk full of win. smile

I've only had time to play it for any length of time on Tuesday and that was no longer than 30-40 minutes. It's Friday and my fingers are killing me. I thought I was developing arthritis at 24, but I just realized it could be the flute. I've been around enough heavy instruments that this is kind of an anomaly to me; I’m going to have to dig rummage forum for solutions. I've also got dainty little fingers, so that doesn't help.

Quick question though: prolonged use/practice. Will your fingers/muscles adapt or am I ultimately going to damage them?

Helpful hint: Don’t wear rings while practicing. My joints with rings on them are particularly painful today.

Last edited by Vevolis (2008-05-16 13:46:31)

#29 2008-05-16 14:09:15

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

You will get use to it.
Warm up & streach you arms before you play & streach when you are done.

#30 2008-05-16 14:25:53

edosan
Edomologist

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#31 2008-07-08 19:12:07

bblyman2000

Hi Everyone - A while back I posted info about 2.4's and RSI injuries.  Here's an exerpt about posture and making a stand to supprort your shakuhachi.  I hadn't used it in a while but started using it again a few weeks ago not only for my 2.4 but also for my 1.8.  It takes all the stress off the bottom thumb as well as relieving any stress on the upper hand as well. 
      A good idea when sitting is to use a seiza bench.  It puts your lower back in the proper sitting position and will help with proper alignment of your head and neck.  Here's a site that has some excellent benches with many variations: http://www.meditationbench.com/Benches.html

Also very important is to use a music stand so that your head is in the proper position.  You don not want  your head bending  forward and down creating the potential for nerve entrapment.  I use the Hamilton 400N
(http://www.hamiltonstands.com/guitar_stands.htm).   Just let the legs of the stand lie flat on the floor.   Recently changed to a Belmonte 5051 music stand purchased from zzsounds.com, a lot more stable and great to write on if you like to transcribe.   
     Also for all those people who have a problem playing the larger shakuhachi due to the weight here's a solution to your problem.  It will probably take you all of five minutes to get used to.  Buy yourself a Hamilton guitar stand model KB31 (it's the least expensive model they make).  Take the part that normally holds the guitar neck and bend it back so that it is almost parallel to the ceiling(or where you best feel is the proper resting position for the root end of your shakuhachi, I find a few inches up from the root gives me more control).  Raise it to a height where you can keep your eyes level and your head and neck in a neutral position.  Then use a C clamp (or could use Duct Tape) to secure it in position. 

Good Luck everyone!!!!  I can be reached at:
bblyman2000@yahoo.com.  Be Well, Bob Blyman.

P.S.      Anyone out there having any type of RSI symptoms such as numbness or tingling in the hands would do themselves a big favor by checking out this book by Barbara Paull entitled "The Athletic Musician".  Better yet go see her.  She's located in New Market, Ontario, Canada.  The trip is well worth it !!!

#32 2009-07-07 17:49:57

Taldaran

My David Brown tiger myrtle 1.8 weighs 334 grams. Not too bad, but...

The only other experiences I have are the jinashi and the PVC's I have made. They are much lighter in weight.

My larger/longer Jinashi don't give me any problem because I use the piper's grip with the right hand.

I really notice that I have to consciously be aware of how tightly I hold the Brown or my thumb will really start to ache. The tips here have really helped me relax and be aware of the tension in my hands.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

Board footer