Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-15 10:26:25

lowonthetotem
Website

Looking for a little guidance

I have been reading a few posts on this forum for a couple of weeks.  I bought a very inexpensive shakuhachi about 3 months ago to see if it was something that I wanted to pursue.  I have enjoyed it a great deal.  Recently, I decided to invest in a nicer flute from Yung Flutes, a 1.8, non-root-end.  I find myself enjoying posts on here, but a number of varied view points are often presented, and I have difficulty deciding which best applies to me.

I find that I can play the first five notes pretty easily when I just practice informally, and the tones are what I think are pretty accurate.  There is not a great deal of "breathiness" in them, and I don't have to blow hard at all to get them to come out clear and with some volume.  I sit in meditation for an hour or so each morning and use my Shakuhachi during the last 15 minutes to half an hour of my sitting practice.  During this time, I find it much more difficult to create the notes that come so easily when I am just goofing around while I sit on the couch.

The flute came with a nice brochure and some pieces.  But there are very few step by step instructions.  I guess I am the kind of guy that needs things spelled out.  My question would be twofold, what is the best way to  use the Shakuhachi during seated meditation, and what is a good training regimine to follow?  I realize there are posts concerning this, but as I said there seem to be several points of view expressed in each, and I wondered what would be best for my skill level.  I'd enjoy getting a teacher, but there are none near me, and my wife is already a little on edge that I spent money on a nicer flute.  It may be a while before i have the money to invest in a teacher.  I know this is not ideal, but it is what I have to deal with.

Sorry for the length of the post.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#2 2008-04-15 17:40:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Looking for a little guidance

lowonthetotem wrote:

.  I'd enjoy getting a teacher, but there are none near me, and my wife is already a little on edge that I spent money on a nicer flute.  It may be a while before i have the money to invest in a teacher.  I know this is not ideal, but it is what I have to deal with..

First rule of music: "Don't worry what the broads think!" cool

Just kidding.

Actually since you have invested in a flute from Perry he has a beginner's booklet he offers which should get you off to a good start. It's excellent.

True about teachers, there have been a lot of people from Florida (and neighboring states) requesting a teacher. A big gap. If someone should decide to teach there they'd have good business.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-04-15 19:44:34

PSTL

lowonthetotem,

Greetings!

I find that everytime I practice the shakuhachi I am meditating. Perhaps you are trying too hard to make the flute fit into your formal meditation. If practicing on the couch brings you peace then let it be. You might also consider beginning your formal meditation with practice and then meditate on how your practice went. Who knows there might be some control issues to work through.

Peace
pstl

#4 2008-04-17 16:25:28

lowonthetotem
Website

Actually since you have invested in a flute from Perry he has a beginner's booklet he offers which should get you off to a good start. It's excellent.

It IS good, but there are some parts that I don't understand so well, particularly in the notation.  It is difficult to explain because I cannot reproduce the symbols here.  There is one notation that he explains denotes the lower octave.  Is the "lower octave" just the "regular" octave?  Also, does anyone have any hints on how to hit the higher octave?  I can do it sometimes but not with any regularity.  I seem to have the best success by moving my lips closer to the utaguchi and by lifting my thumb slightly on the back hole.  Lifting the thumb only seems to work on the lowest two notes/holes.  Should I be having to blow harder to hit the second octave?  Also, there is no explanation of Meri or Keri.  Could someone explain these to me, if it is not too much trouble.

#5 2008-04-18 01:22:42

Josh
PhD
Website

I've heard a few people say that there is no one around, but I've also heard that Dale Olsen is professor and shakuhachi teacher at FSU. Does anyone have any info about him?   I think Philip Gelb was one of his students.

#6 2008-04-18 02:18:44

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

#7 2008-04-18 12:18:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I have been reading a few posts on this forum for a couple of weeks.  I bought a very inexpensive shakuhachi about 3 months ago to see if it was something that I wanted to pursue.  I have enjoyed it a great deal.  Recently, I decided to invest in a nicer flute from Yung Flutes, a 1.8, non-root-end.  I find myself enjoying posts on here, but a number of varied view points are often presented, and I have difficulty deciding which best applies to me.

Hi lowonthetotem, Thanks for your posts.

As you know, many people play the shakuhachi with different approaches and what works for one may not be applicable for another.

I find that I can play the first five notes pretty easily when I just practice informally, and the tones are what I think are pretty accurate.  There is not a great deal of "breathiness" in them, and I don't have to blow hard at all to get them to come out clear and with some volume.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

I sit in meditation for an hour or so each morning and use my Shakuhachi during the last 15 minutes to half an hour of my sitting practice.  During this time, I find it much more difficult to create the notes that come so easily when I am just goofing around while I sit on the couch.

Then I would suggest just goofing around on the couch with the shakuhachi for a while. Daily practice of anything makes that thing become a natural activity. Heres' what someone wrote to me a while back. I've edited out the thank yous.:

" Dear Perry,
...I have been playing the 2.9 shakuhachi as part of my
meditation practice almost every night and many of the mornings since
it arrived. I had never played a flute before, although I have been
meditating for many years. Yet I am already able to blow the /ro/ note
often when I try. I can even play little improvised melodies along with
the train sounds, bird sounds, wind sounds and traffic sounds outside
my window. Then I set the flute down and sit mindfully listening and
hearing. Then I pick the flute up again... I feel very connected with this instrument..."

The flute came with a nice brochure and some pieces.  But there are very few step by step instructions.  I guess I am the kind of guy that needs things spelled out.  My question would be twofold, what is the best way to  use the Shakuhachi during seated meditation, and what is a good training regimine to follow?  I realize there are posts concerning this, but as I said there seem to be several points of view expressed in each, and I wondered what would be best for my skill level.

The fellow who I quoted from above found a natural way of applying the flute to his practice. I think that once you feel more comfortable with the flute, you can find a natural and personal way to integrate it. As a suggestion, perhaps you can start your meditation by blowing long tones first for for ten minutes or so. Then, put the flute down and move on to your normal  practice.

I'd enjoy getting a teacher, but there are none near me, and my wife is already a little on edge that I spent money on a nicer flute.  It may be a while before i have the money to invest in a teacher.  I know this is not ideal, but it is what I have to deal with.

Sorry for the length of the post.

Please do not apologize. We like long posts smile

Since my booklet is mentioned. I thought I should say a little about my intention with it so that others know where I'm coming from. I played the shakuhachi in my own way for over five years without ever even looking at a shakuhachi book. Then I started with traditional lessons and that opened up my idea of music and technique. Since then, I've read many books on 'How to Play" the shakuhachi and studied with some of the most  experience teachers in the world. My booklet is intended for those who may never get to meet a teacher face to face, or want to. Here's is the opening statement in the booklet:

The best way to learn the shakuhachi is to sit in front of an experienced teacher whose sound you find compelling.
If that is not possible, the next best thing is a guide such as this.

This guide is intended as an introduction to appreciating the essence found in a single tone of the shakuhachi.
In a few months, you may study with a teacher of a particular style and in a lifetime become a master.
Or, you may discover that you choose to cultivate peace in blowing one or two long tranquil notes.

Ones approach to playing is ever evolving. Enjoy the process."

Since I wrote this opening statement, my mind has changed slightly. Mainly, because I have seen great things happen through internet lessons. When I was at Michael Chikizen Gould's Shakuhachi Camp, I met some of his internet students and was very very impress at their skill of playing and understanding of the music.

The connection with shakuhachi playing and meditation has been touched upon on a couple of threads already. I'm sure more will come. Although they may not necessarily be one thing for everyone, I believe one can enhance the other.  I hope this helps.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2008-04-18 15:02:11

lowonthetotem
Website

I hope this helps.

Yes, Perry.  You have been very helpful throughout the entire process.  Thanks for taking the time to address my post even after exchanging so many emails as well.  I think that I am looking for some pretty rigid information in a process that is more fluid.  I went home during lunch today and practiced a little.  I was able to hit some of the second octave notes (thanks to you too Ed).  I have enjoyed the book, Perry.  I was able to pick up the notation for the basic five notes quickly and easily on the first day by practicing the first couple of songs.  I think I am ready to start on the first Honkyoku, although it still seems pretty daunting.  I imagine many of my questions may seem to be out of the blue or have obvious answers because I really don't have any background in music formally, aside from enjoying listening to it.  While not trying to sound like I am gushing, I'd recomend Perry's flutes to anyone.  Mine is very nice.  Along with his book and the exercises that Ed sent me, I think I have plenty to practice now.  Thanks guys.

#9 2008-04-18 17:24:51

edosan
Edomologist

lowonthetotem wrote:

I think I am ready to start on the first Honkyoku, although it still seems pretty daunting.

The honkyoku will still be there when you are ready for it, Grasshopper  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2008-05-01 05:58:05

SteveCrandall

Hello!
I live in Citrus County in Florida.  Dale Olsen is retiring from FSU at the end of this year.
There are many very nice posts about him there and in reviews at his alma maters.  He
helped me tremendously over the last five years, and I would gladly pass that along. 
Are you ever traveling north from there?
Yours,
Steve

#11 2008-05-05 15:51:49

lowonthetotem
Website

Hey, Steve.  With gas the way it is, I don't travel much.  I've even started riding my bike to work a few time a week.

#12 2008-05-05 23:02:36

Zakarius

lowonthetotem wrote:

With gas the way it is, I don't travel much.  I've even started riding my bike to work a few time a week.

Right on! I've been riding a bicycle for transportation now for about 15 years. Stay green.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#13 2008-05-22 01:01:34

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I've been riding a bicycle for twenty-one years in Kochi.  Japan is more bicycle friendly than the U.S.A., with all high school students and a fair number of oldsters on bicycles.  My wife drives, but we didn't buy a car until about five years ago.

#14 2008-05-22 12:04:23

lowonthetotem
Website

I blew a tire today on the bridge to work and had to call the Mrs. to pick me up.  It kind of defeated the whole save gas thing.  I'll be back up and running for the trip home though.

I just wanted to take a minute to state the obvious here.  Perry Yung is a really great guy.  I had purchased a flute from him, as I mentioned above.  Well, I was playing it and one of my dogs came in to listen, I thought.  I really thought I was the Pied Piper of K-9's for a moment.  I was parched, so I set the flute on a table and went out to get a drink of water.  I was gone maybe 30 seconds, but it seems the pup thought I was eating the shakuhachi, as it was so close to my mouth, and decided she'd find out what it tasted like.  She went right for the utaguchi.  It was ruined beyond repair.  Much of the top end was gone in seconds.

Anyway, Perry gave me a deal on a nice flute and spent a great deal of time with me on the phone making sure that I got the right flute.  I am rather willful and he took the time to make sure I did not make a bad choice.  He is really such a great guy.  I am rather jealous of the folks that live close enough to him to take lessons from him.  They should certainly take advantage of that.

I penned a little haiku in his honor.  I hope you guys enjoy it.

Bamboo breath's sharp. Lips
curl.  Kiss chin.  Heart fills.  Fingers
lift empty then fill.

#15 2008-05-22 17:01:31

edosan
Edomologist

Very nice.

Condolences on your flute.

Hope the dog still lives....

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#16 2008-07-16 20:13:25

lowonthetotem
Website

Hey, I am posting this here because I imagine that new members get the most attention.  That is just good business.  There does not seem to be a forum for this type of question. but I could be very wrong.   If I am, please move this where it needs to go.

Can we have a translation forum?  Just Japanese to other language.  Maybe, we don't need a forum.  Can I get a literal translation for "Otsu", "Kan" and "shaku".  Even "sun"?  I run iton words like this all the time researching what I should know about this instrument, but some LITERAL translations would be great.  Often on dictionary sites, you are required to select among several different meanings.  However, if some native speakers couls explain this specific translation to us, that would be ideal.

On a multi-cultural site like this, I think a translation page would be great.  Just a place where idiots can ask for the definition of something from a native speaker, rather than a dictionary.  Even if a teacher knows.  Perhaps it would be exhausted quickly, given the specialization, but I think it could be worthwhile.  And, even if you aren't a native speaker, perhaps you could give your two cents.

Again,

I unstand if nobody wants to answer.

#17 2008-07-16 20:36:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

Can we have a translation forum?  Just Japanese to other language.  Maybe, we don't need a forum.  Can I get a literal translation for "Otsu", "Kan" and "shaku".  Even "sun"?  I run iton words like this all the time researching what I should know about this instrument, but some LITERAL translations would be great.  Often on dictionary sites, you are required to select among several different meanings.  However, if some native speakers couls explain this specific translation to us, that would be ideal.

http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=1327

We have a groovy search function here and if you type "dictionary" "glossary" "terminology" etc. in there you find things like this.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#18 2008-07-17 00:28:07

Zakarius

lowonthetotem wrote:

Can I get a literal translation for "Otsu", "Kan" and "shaku".  Even "sun"?

I can't speak Japanese, but I'm proficient in Chinese and obviously a huge number of characters/'words' in Japanese come from Chinese...

Otsu (乙) and Kan (甲) are the first two in a set of 10 ordinal 'numbers'. For more details, chec out the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_stem

Shaku (尺) is comprised of 尸 (body/corpse) with a line added, and conveys the idea of using the body as a form of measurement... similar to the English 'foot' and coincidentally almost identical in length.

Sun (寸) is comprised of 又 (hand) with a dot added to signify the spot one INCH from the wrist where the pulse can be felt. It is defined as a tenth of a Shaku.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#19 2008-07-23 10:00:03

lowonthetotem
Website

So, I am guessing that this is one of the longest introductions on the forum.  It is going on four months.

Thanks for the translations Zak.

I posted a link to my new blog (I am pretty pathetic about keeping up on those things, so this is merely my latest attempt at keeping one going) in the "Memorizing Honkyoku" thread.  This one is different because I actually have media to post on it.  Yes I have discovered the "record" feature on my computer, much to everyone's chagrin I am sure.  I only bring it up because I really got some useful feed back from a few folks that have changed my practice regimen.  At the risk of sounding like an attention whore, I just wanted to let everyone know that I've put the blog in as my website on my avatar.  I'd invite everyone to listen if you have time and the stomach for it (I am really not very accomplished at all), in the hopes of getting more great feedback.  Thanks for your endulgence.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to the folks on the board who have been helping me out along the way.  Perry, Ed, Phil, and others.  You guys have really been alot of help, and I appreaciate it.  I just wanted to let you guys know.  I've never really tried to learn an instrument before, besides some lame attempts at the guitar and an adolescent aquaintance with the harmonica.  This has been one of the most rewarding things I've done for myself in the last ten years, and everyone has had a hand in making it such.  Thanks again.

#20 2008-07-23 10:08:55

edosan
Edomologist

Hmmm...is the accompanying 'slide show' designed to keep the listener riveted to the screen?

smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#21 2008-07-23 16:29:53

marek
Website

edosan wrote:

Hmmm...is the accompanying 'slide show' designed to keep the listener riveted to the screen?

smile

Oh my God!
big_smile

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

Board footer