Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-18 19:10:22

amokrun

This forum sure has grown!

I joined this forum nearly two years ago. Even back then this was a fairly busy forum with a handful of people taking part in every conversation. I just checked my profile and noticed that I was the user number 290. Technically there weren't that many people here talking before me as a handful of those early numbers were assigned to various people, often professionals, who never really posted here. Still, we can safely assume that there were about 250 people here before me who - more or less actively - took part in conversations on all sorts of topics.

I just happened to check and noticed that the most recent user at the time I'm writing this has the number 855. This means that over the last two year the population here has grown a lot. As most professionals had signed up early on, it seems likely that nearly all of the new members are beginners or at least not quite yet professionals. Most people who sign up here are not japanese which means that there is a fairly decent number of people outside of Japan who have found this wonderful form of art. At this pace it seems likely that we'll hit 1000 registered users soon enough. Not bad for an obscure hobby, especially given that often people seem to start this later in their lives and thus don't necessarily frequent Internet forums.

I made this post because I'm quite surprised how much this place has grown. Although we now have much more people talking and thus quite a few topics going on, the forum is still a very friendly place with interesting conversations happening every day. One of my favourite sayings is that you can often evaluate something based on the people who end up doing it. Shakuhachi community has always been one of the best places to be in. It never ceases to amaze me that you can end up talking to some of the best known professionals in the world and they actually take the time to explain things to you. Try doing that on a guitar forum. The people joining us in here have also been great and have brought up many interesting debates. It is interesting to see so many different people with very different backgrounds coming together to talk about something that they all love.

Hopefully we'll see even more new players joining the forum in future. My only regret is that I didn't join sooner - especially since I might have ended up with a more interesting user number than 290. Then again, I just noticed that I'm fifth on the list based on post count and all the people above me actually joined well before I did. That should count for something, especially since I seem to actually be ahead of Ken who actually runs this place. I'm not sure if that means that I've made a difference or that I should shut up for once.

I've gotten to know some of you better over e-mail but unfortunately I have yet to meet a single person on this forum. I'm hoping to one day get to meet all of those people who have helped me out more than I can say over these last few years. Thanks to all of you who got me addicted to this in first place. It is hard to say how things would have turned out for me if this forum didn't exist back then.

#2 2008-05-19 14:18:16

MikeL

Re: This forum sure has grown!

amokrun wrote:

I just happened to check and noticed that the most recent user at the time I'm writing this has the number 855. This means that over the last two year the population here has grown a lot.

Hey, that might be me! I just registered yesterday.
Hello from Lowell MA in the US.

I'm sure that there are many who read the forum but don't register. I've been
reading for quite a while and just now got around to registering. So the info is
likely reaching far more than 855 individuals.

Many thanks to the administrators and posters, it's a great resource.

- Mike

#3 2008-05-19 17:27:36

Alex

Hey Amokrun!

Great reflections! Sure the forum has grown and hence the knowledge and wisdom about and of Shakuhachi has expanded like a good Ro in a small room. We have to thank once again our dear Administrators who put this Forum together and nominate them for a Dai-shihan! (because that's one of the key issues of that kind of degree, isn't it?!). Probably they are too humble to accept it and they might think they still have a long way to go, but they sure have gone a long way by having the patience and initiative to put this together! (the same patience and initiative you show by working on a Finnish one!).

Truly amazing people here! Top players with, as you say, very rare time-sharing capabilities, starting players with a great ambition to learn and to share their discoveries with others, and all sorts of nice, gentle and patient people in between; even the ones who read and never post (we know you are out there!) contribute at least to the statistics and our sense of belonging.

I have learned so much by just reading and asking here! I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been wihtout it. So, and this goes for everybody, thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S. And Amokrun, you might be the 290th but 600 members added and you still have the coolest avatar!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#4 2008-05-23 03:25:30

Moran from Planet X
Website

Alex wrote:

We have to thank once again our dear Administrators who put this Forum together and nominate them for a Dai-shihan! (because that's one of the key issues of that kind of degree, isn't it?!). Probably they are too humble to accept it ...

Excellent idea, Alex. And if we, the loving fans of Shakuhachi Forum cannot award Mujistsu and Tairaku a Dai-shihan degree, then we could give them:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2516667651_2a9bc3a6b4_o.jpg
The First Annual Shakuhachi Forum Reader's Grand Daikon (Big Radish of the Ninth Degree)

They would have to accept that.

Happy 855+,  fellow Shakuhachi Forum people! Onward jinashi-warriors to 1,000 members ...

Last edited by Chris Moran (2008-05-23 19:45:14)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2008-05-23 11:22:27

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

The First Annual Shakuhachi Forum Reader's Grand Daikon (Big Radish of the Ninth Degree)

Happy 855+,  fellow Shakuhachi Forum people! Onward jinashi-warriors to 1,000 members ...

Many thanks for the Big Daikon! That's going to make one tasty soup!

Seriously though, it is the civility of forum members which makes administrating and easy job. Through your continued contributions to the forum, I've learned that involvement in shakuhachi must widen one's perspective and reduce the importance of personal concerns. Shakuhachi Forum members get it!

Many thanks.

Ken

#6 2008-05-24 04:45:30

Alex

Chris Moran wrote:

Alex wrote:

We have to thank once again our dear Administrators who put this Forum together and nominate them for a Dai-shihan! (because that's one of the key issues of that kind of degree, isn't it?!). Probably they are too humble to accept it ...

Excellent idea, Alex. And if we, the loving fans of Shakuhachi Forum cannot award Mujistsu and Tairaku a Dai-shihan degree, then we could give them:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/251 … a6b4_o.jpg

Yeah! That's defenetly a good start! wink

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer