World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-10-09 14:42:10

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: International Air Travel with Shakuhachi

Toby wrote:

When I traveled to Australia about 10 yrs ago Customs went absolutely bonkers about the fact that I was carrying wooden items. I was told that NO WOODEN ITEMS are allowed in the country from abroad--period--and everything had to be left in the airport for the time I was there. They are, of course, afraid of termites and other bugs which infest timber.

Australians afraid of termites? smile I thought they invented termites!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#27 2008-10-09 14:48:01

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toby wrote:

Are you sure about this? When I traveled to Australia about 10 yrs ago Customs went absolutely bonkers about the fact that I was carrying wooden items. I was told that NO WOODEN ITEMS are allowed in the country from abroad--period--

Yes I just flew into Australia from the States yesterday and declared "wooden items" on my customs form. They said "What wooden items?" I said, "Bamboo flutes". They said, 'Where is the bamboo from? " I said "Japan and the US". They said, "OK" and didn't even look at them.

The idea that no wooden items can come in is silly. How would any bands tour Australia without guitars or drums? Would the classical musicians be able to come without violins and cellos? How about their cricket team? Do they use plastic bats when they go to play in India?

I think your problem is that you were bringing raw stuff in from New Guinea. They don't like stuff from Africa, New Guinea or other dodgy places. They do not like any "tourist" items like masks, primitive drums and flutes, stools, etc.The other problem is that customs agents are inconsistent.

They are also usually placated when I tell them the flutes are sealed with lacquer.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#28 2010-09-14 04:21:41

sahar

lowonthetotem wrote:

In the US they may consider it a weapon along with nail clippers, pencils, and pens (ok some exaggeration there).  Try to be tolerant of ethnic slurs like, "Basket Head," from the less enlightened of our society.

About a year ago they gave me problems at LAX for that reason, had to go through few officials to pass it though, as my luggage was on plane already and there was no way to ship it from airport without losing my flight. Since then I just put it in luggage, and cross my fingers every time.

#29 2010-09-14 04:43:43

Karmajampa
Website

I also had a close call going through US security check at my departure. I was carrying my Gyokusui 1.8 and they questioned its' potential use as a weapon. If they had been in a bad mood I would have lost the flute.
The Americans may be particularly sensitive, take caution is my advice after that experience.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#30 2010-09-14 05:46:59

Moran from Planet X
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

I also had a close call going through US security check at my departure. I was carrying my Gyokusui 1.8 and they questioned its' potential use as a weapon. If they had been in a bad mood I would have lost the flute.
The Americans may be particularly sensitive, take caution is my advice after that experience.

K.

Was it a nobekan, a two-piece flute assembled or two-piece flute disassembled?

I could see problems for the first two, less for the third.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#31 2010-09-14 14:35:01

Karmajampa
Website

It is a one piece, solid, satin patina, has a few dents already including a small chip out of the utaguchi insert.
Feels like a truncheon, which is what the US security was contemplating, then I played him some soothing Ro-buki. He yeilded to my petition, apologised for his insinuation then personally carried the flute and my luggage onto the plane. Such is the magic of Shakuhachi.

However, I did not carry that particular flute onto the plane on my return, rather a larger 2.1 of my own making, selling several CD's in the departure lounge.

K.

Last edited by Karmajampa (2010-09-14 14:46:23)

Kia Kaha !

#32 2010-10-20 13:00:01

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Karmajampa wrote:

K.

Was it a nobekan, a two-piece flute assembled or two-piece flute disassembled?

I could see problems for the first two, less for the third.

Ran into a bit of a delay for the first time with my shakuhachi leaving SFO for LAX two days ago. It was separated in my recycled Obi shakuhachi bag. The security officer insisted it was a pair of nunchuks with out the chain.  He called for his superior, who came with a form for me to fill out. Then, she (Asian woman) said, "That's a flute! See the holes! and stormed off.

I was glad to see that security was tight.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer