Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-20 04:15:29

amokrun

How long does a can of urushi stay usable?

I'm thinking of getting some urushi as I have a couple of flutes that need really minor tweaks. Unfortunately urushi seems to come in these huge cans which most likely have enough of it to turn all my flutes black and there would still be enough left to paint my bedroom walls with. I seem to come up with uses for urushi every now and then but I doubt I could go through a can like that in any reasonable time. Thus my question: how long does urushi survive before it becomes useless? Does it help if I stash it away somehow between uses? I presume that sealing the container properly between uses should at least help to keep it around longer?

#2 2008-05-20 21:10:06

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: How long does a can of urushi stay usable?

fouw wrote:

Hi Amok,

I don't know where you found the information about huge cans of urushi, maybe these are cashew paint or something like that?
Serious urushi comes in tubes,  will keep for a long time when properly closed.
If you need to do some touch-ups in black, your best solution would probably be to order a tube at Mejiro's.
They have red and black ready for use. Saves you the cost and trouble of buying powdered pigment and mixing it in and filtering through layers of special paper etc.
(natural urushi comes in different shades of transparent brown, the red & black is pigmented, actually it's possible to   coat a flute in blue too, would be nice, with a lapis lazuli utaguchi inlay)
Once applied, put shakuhachi in humid box for curing (a tray for plants as seen hanging from balconies with a damp sponge in it and covered with foil works as an improvised setup)

Ciao,
Kees

Hi all. Yes, in my experience, I've only seen urushi in tubes. Cashew usually comes in cans and some cashew cans have "Urushi" written on them when it's really cashew.

Urushi lasts longer when stored in the refridgerater.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-05-20 21:11:13

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

Hi Amok,

I don't know where you found the information about huge cans of urushi, maybe these are cashew paint or something like that?
Serious urushi comes in tubes,  will keep for a long time when properly closed.
If you need to do some touch-ups in black, your best solution would probably be to order a tube at Mejiro's.
They have red and black ready for use. Saves you the cost and trouble of buying powdered pigment and mixing it in and filtering through layers of special paper etc.
(natural urushi comes in different shades of transparent brown, the red & black is pigmented, actually it's possible to   coat a flute in blue too, would be nice, with a lapis lazuli utaguchi inlay)
Once applied, put shakuhachi in humid box for curing (a tray for plants as seen hanging from balconies with a damp sponge in it and covered with foil works as an improvised setup)

Ciao,
Kees

Hi all. Yes, in my experience, I've only seen urushi in tubes. Cashew usually comes in cans and some cashew cans have "Urushi" written on them when it's really cashew.

Urushi lasts longer when stored in the fridge.

Best, Perry

#4 2008-06-14 12:49:40

fauzie

Yungflutes wrote:

That's a very bad idea ... somebody might mistaken it for tomato sauce ...

#5 2008-06-15 09:28:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

fauzie wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

That's a very bad idea ... somebody might mistaken it for tomato sauce ...

Well, the consistency is a little thicker and redder...more likely a tube of chili paste sad

Good point though. I was an assistant to a master model maker a while back (seems like another lifetime). EVERYTHING stored in the shop fridge was clearly labeled and dated.

Best, Perry

Board footer