Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-06 16:36:27

Vevolis
Website

Root end horizontal cracks

Can anyone provide some insight into the horizontal (hairline) cracks working their way around the root end of my flute? There are a few vertical cracks (very dry/jagged looking but mostly harmless) and I suspect they’ll be the last to split open (if ever) but I wonder about the horizontal crack hugging below the exposed root. It makes me feel as if the bottom is going to pop off and I’ll have something akin to a trumpet mute.

It’s also starting to smell funny. I blow hot air into the sealed bag before I put it away… otherwise, no sponge, nothing. It looks dry, but seems to be on the boarders of mold.

It’s a Tensei flute. I guess most people start smelling funny and falling apart at some point. tongue

#2 2008-06-06 20:22:37

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Root end horizontal cracks

Vevolis wrote:

It’s also starting to smell funny. I blow hot air into the sealed bag before I put it away… otherwise, no sponge, nothing. It looks dry, but seems to be on the boarders of mold.

IMO, blowing hot air into your flute bag is dodgy at best; the inherent flora and fauna in your aspiration are, um, contributing to the problem. I recommend the small damp piece of dishwashing sponge, which can be periodically
disinfected with a mild solution of Clorox bleach.

In the meantime, the same mild bleach solution (a few tablespoons in 8-10 ounces of water) can be used to wash your flute to mitigate the mold. Won't hurt the flute or affect its appearance. An old toothbrush works well as an applicator, then just rinse and dry.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-06-06 21:12:56

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Scott, Can you post a photo?

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-06-07 02:57:37

Karmajampa
Website

Lavender oil could be useful as an anti-fungicide, and smells ok.
Sounds like the septum is cracking.

K.

Last edited by Karmajampa (2008-06-07 03:00:59)

Kia Kaha !

#5 2008-06-09 13:33:47

Lance

The key is probably the humidity where you live. Mine is on the high side usually, lows around 30%, usual around 50%, and often 60-70%....  when I put a slightly damp sponge in the plastic bag I got MOLD rather quickly... so I just try to play every day to add humidity and I leave the flutes open on a rack with no bag, just air.

Has anyone come up with some real guidelines of what percentage of humidity is best for a bamboo flute??

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#6 2008-06-10 11:02:58

Vevolis
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hey Scott, Can you post a photo?

Best, Perry

Hi Perry,

I'll try to take a photo this evening. As for the mold, i'm going to mix some Thieves with water, rinse out the flute, clean the inside, near the root-end, etc. (The oil is particularly good for mold) Here's a question: The binding is actually absorbing some of the moisture and is becoming slightly discolored, can I gently brush the binding as well? Is there the likelyhood it will come undone? I need the flute to survive until I can get to a teacher!

The relative humidity is 73% today. I have a hard case, I think i'll leave it out of the plastic for the duration of the summer, I don't think it'll be less humid anytime soon.

The cracks I spoke of are no different than when I received the flute, I just need to learn more about extended care. Especially the one going up the mouthpiece.

#7 2008-06-11 14:49:53

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Scott, The lacquer over the bindings are probably reacting to the humidity.  I would leave them alone as water or oils can get under and loosen them. Your place sounds quite humid, I think you can leave your shakuhachi out of the plastic bag, but do keep an eye on the cracks. They may want to open up a bit, like a hairline and that's fine. More than that, you should put it back in the bag but with no extra humidity. Let me know what happens,

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2008-06-14 10:49:55

EricSwain

Is it possible that the cracks are from harvesting the bamboo. You said they havent increased in size and it doesnt seem that bamboo would crack against the grain unless force was applied. I have a couple pieces of bamboo that have cracks that run around the root end of the flute. Not all the way around, it just looks like someone didnt cut through all of the roots before trying to pull the bamboo up.

Just a thought.

#9 2008-06-15 23:09:39

Vevolis
Website

Thanks for the advise. I did end up cleaning the flute top to bottom-inside out with a mixture of water and thieves oil. I blow dried it lightly then left it out for a few hours, I won't use the plastic bags until winter. The odors have all but gone (and slight discoloration) I avoided the bindings. I used a dental pick to very (very) lightly remove any build up in the nodes. I avoided the root end, there was a putty-like build up, I wasn't sure if was built up Urushi so I left it alone.

AS for the cracks, I can't find my SD card for my camera... must've lost it on a recent excursion, sorry for the delay in response. Antonio Olias posted a flute with a similar crack along the root as outlined in his photo's. After working hands on, I'm pretty comfortable with the stability of the flute; i'll just keep an eye on them.

Board footer