Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-17 16:27:52

Bogert

Flute repair

Hello,
    I had a teacher here at my college ask if maybe I could fix her shakuhachi which is quite severely cracked.  She got it for free in the cracked condition from a friend in Japan in hopes that she might be able to fix it.  The flute looks quite nice, a tozan jiari flute, thicker bamboo narrow bore.  Well I told her I didn't want to experiment with her flute as I've never had to fix a cracked flute before.  What advice do you all have on techniques to fix this flute?  The way I know is to clamp the crack, inlay some  strong bindings and then seal the outside.  This particular flute is cracked on the top of the bottom half and the bottom of the top half almost to the utaguchi.  I suggested sending it to one of the pros that could fix it, but she doesn't want to spend the money.  Well...any help on this one?  Thanks for whatever you guys can think to say.
                                                                                                  Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2006-02-17 20:55:10

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Flute repair

Sounds like it could be more cracked than you're willing to try and fix, am I right?

If that's the case, then I'd tell her that the only way to get it fixed would be to spend the money. Otherwise, it's just a cracked flute. If it's a really nice flute, would she give it to you, then you could spend the money to get it fixed when you can, or when you have the skills? I know that i'm not at a point where I can do such repairs, even with all the info out there.

If i were set on fixing this myself (and I think you've made more flutes than me, so take this with a grain of salt), I'd try to figure out just HOW deep the cracks are; you're looking to see if they might go all the way through. You'd probably want a good, non-glaring light to use down the bore, too, to see if you can possibly see anything.

If the crack doesn't go all the way through, you're lucky, and it should be (relatively) easy to fix. It's at this point where you have to decide if you're going to continue or get a pro. Myself, I might, MIGHT, try some binding other bamboo, see if my skills were there, and then give it a try. However, I'd be worried about the fact that there's a split in the skin of the Bamboo, and how will that affect cutting and all that, right? Ya gotta think about that stuff.

I'm guessing that binding (preferably flush) above and below the cracks would be the way to go, although it's hard to say without seeing it. Then you'd probably want to fill in the crack with something that doesn't expand too much, and cures SUPER quick; you don't want a lot of action going on in there that might force that crack open wider.

Then, you'll probably want to do something to the bore, some sort of lacquer or Urishi, at least enough to seal a large area all around where the split is on the outside. The more the better, and I'd reccomend just doing the whole thing, perhaps. Anything to seal it all up. I don't usually like flutes all sealed up, but if it's worth it, and it's what will save it, then it's good.

Hope that helps, and not hinders. wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-02-17 23:49:19

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Bogert wrote:

Hello,
    This particular flute is cracked on the top of the bottom half and the bottom of the top half almost to the utaguchi.  I suggested sending it to one of the pros that could fix it, but she doesn't want to spend the money.  Well...any help on this one?  Thanks for whatever you guys can think to say.

Chris

Hi Chris, I just moved this entry from my blog. 

Repairing a crack with monofilament binding.

Here's a binding technique that people in Japan have been doing. Topical bindings are not invasive to the bamboo and can save your flute before or after it's cracked.
If there is already a crack, put a damp cloth near or around it and leave it in a sealed container over night. It should close up over night.

Here's what you'll need:
20lbs fishing line (monofilament), an exacto knife (razor blade), C Clamp
and a pair of pliers.

Clamp the spool of fishing line to a fixed surface like a kitchen counter top. Release about 7 feet of line before you clamp it down. Make a 3cm loop at the end that doesn't cross over itself. Then place it at one end of the crack and start to wrap the binding over the loop (covering the loop). Pull tightly as you wrap. After about 14 windings, cut the line and string the end through the loop. Then use the pliers and pull the end quickly so that it goes under the binding. This will take many tries. You will need one binding every 2cm and one extra at the end to prevent migration. 

Best of luck, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-02-18 12:45:08)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2006-02-18 02:44:49

Bogert

Oh excellent, thanks.  I'll take alook at the flute again to see how much damage their is, the cracks might have gone completely though to the bore. 
                                                                                                 Chris

理趣経百字の偈

#5 2006-02-18 14:21:01

kyoreiflutes
Website

Oh, I forgot about Perry's repair guide there. That's an excellent guide, from the master himself. wink

That's how I'd roll.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-02-18 15:30:37

jamesnyman

If you use the new high tech 65 lb test monofilament, it only has the diameter of 12 lb test line. This makes for a thinner feeling binding with much more strength and allows you use a lot more tension. That might be useful when trying to repair a crack. Its only drawback is that is comes in green and not clear.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#7 2006-02-18 22:40:50

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

jamesnyman wrote:

If you use the new high tech 65 lb test monofilament, it only has the diameter of 12 lb test line. This makes for a thinner feeling binding with much more strength and allows you use a lot more tension..

I've seen Jame's work with this monofilament. Very nice. Where do we get it?

Best, Perry.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2006-02-19 09:56:14

jamesnyman

The brand I use is called Power Pro, but there are other brands. I was mistaken...the 65 lb test Power Pro line has the diameter of standard 16 lb test monofilament...still thinner. They have a variety of strengths, all thinner than standard monofilament. I get mine at the local "big box" sports and outdoor store...Academy.

Powr Pro has a website     www.powerpro.com   I think you can buy their line directly from the website.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#9 2006-04-26 00:22:12

Bogert

Hello again, I just got that cracked flute from my teacher.  I've had some practice in the mean time with fixing cracks, that guide is excellent and worked good.  Now that I have her flute, I've noted that it is quite cracked right down into the bore in two long cracks.  I really don't think I should try to repair such damage at my current skill level.  Is their any semi-easy fix? or leave it to the proffesionals?  Thanks.
                                                                                                       Chris

理趣経百字の偈

#10 2006-12-29 04:58:26

radi0gnome
Website

I hate to suggest this being new to this forum because I feel that it might be almost sacreligious to some, but you asked for an easy fix. You could always just wrap it in electrical tape. There are obvious aesthetic problems with this fix, and the cracks in the bore won't be closed so there might be some effect on the acoustics, but you'll get any leaks sealed and have a playable flute. I think that's a lot better than a souvinier decoration.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#11 2006-12-29 10:20:26

edosan
Edomologist

Very creative, and probably effective.

Unfortunately, you must now be prepared to burn eternally in Hell...smile

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2006-12-29 10:21:30

edosan
Edomologist

Bogert wrote:

Hello again, I just got that cracked flute from my teacher.  I've had some practice in the mean time with fixing cracks, that guide is excellent and worked good.  Now that I have her flute, I've noted that it is quite cracked right down into the bore in two long cracks.  I really don't think I should try to repair such damage at my current skill level.  Is their any semi-easy fix? or leave it to the proffesionals?  Thanks.
                                                                                                       Chris

I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Perry.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer