Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-15 22:30:22

shashank

Shakuhachi teacher in Taiwan

I am wondering if there are any teachers in Taiwan to teach shakuhachi.
If anyone has information, please let me know.
thanks, Shashank

#2 2008-08-16 03:23:11

Zakarius

Re: Shakuhachi teacher in Taiwan

I've heard that there are some teachers in Taibei (Taipei) and Gaoshung (Kaohsiung), but I would guess that they're mostly focused on minyo. I saw that the recent Young Players Competition at the International Shakuhachi Festival in Sydney had a few entrants from Taiwan -- you might want to try to get their email addresses and ask them directly. If you need help communicating with them in Chinese, I'd be happy to translate for you.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-08-16 09:32:11

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

The one Chinese guy there with whom I talked, had quite authentic honkyoku. Perhaps he was from Taiwan. Worth following that lead.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#4 2008-08-16 11:56:03

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Shashank...

There is a Taiwanese Shakuhachi form here:  http://shaku8.tosaint.com/index.php

It might also be of help.

#5 2008-08-16 21:25:38

Zakarius

Justin wrote:

The one Chinese guy there with whom I talked, had quite authentic honkyoku. Perhaps he was from Taiwan. Worth following that lead.

The Taiwanese participants in the competition didn't fair well and none made it to the finals. I think the man you were referring to was from China.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#6 2008-08-17 21:31:51

shashank

thanks guys....Derek  I am looking at that forum right now...
Zakarius, I will be in touch with you for more....I will be moving to Taibei from September...
Shashank

#7 2008-08-17 22:22:45

Zakarius

Alright. I'll be out of town the first half of the month, but we should try to find some time to get together and play. Out of curiosity, what brings you to Taiwan from Japan?

Zak

#8 2008-08-19 09:38:06

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi guys,
  Yeah the guy who was in the finals in the WSF08 competitiowas from mainland China, Shanghai I think. I believe that most of the players from China who entered were associated with a teacher named Kanzaki Ken. He's from Osaka, but he teaches often in Gaoxiong, Taichung, and Taipei in Taiwan.  I have never heard him actually play so I cannot vouche for him, but he has studied 7 holed shakuhachi with Miyata Kohachiro and is a Shihan in the Kinko ryu under Mitsuhashi Kifu.
Here is his email address, he probably has a basic level of English and he does speak Chinese as well:
kanzaki.ken@bmbnt.com

I'd send him an email and see when he'll be there, I think he travels there and teaches often, or lives there half the year.

#9 2008-08-19 11:32:32

Zakarius

Thanks Josh! I sent him an email but it bounced back. Can you double-check the address?

Zak

Last edited by Zakarius (2008-08-19 11:33:16)

#10 2008-08-19 19:14:43

Josh
PhD
Website

Sorry about that,
This was also listed for Kanzaki Ken (神崎憲):
info2008@bmbnt

The website he runs is called bamboo network:
http://www.bmbnt.com/

And I think he is in charge of the Taiwan Shakuhachi Society (all in chinese):
http://www.shaku8.org.tw/index.html

Here is a site of a player connected with Kanzaki sensei (Zak you'll have to read the Chinese though, I can only pick up small pieces of it- BTW it really is an advantage to learn Chinese, you'll pick up so much more Kanji than learning Japanese):
http://www.shianism.com/meter8.htm

I am pretty sure he teaches Honkyoku from the Kinko ryu Kifu school and uses both jiari and jinashi chokan. He has performed with Mitsuhashi Kifu and other places around so he s probably pretty good.

#11 2008-08-20 01:25:35

Zakarius

Josh wrote:

Sorry about that,
This was also listed for Kanzaki Ken (神崎憲):
info2008@bmbnt

The website he runs is called bamboo network:
http://www.bmbnt.com/

And I think he is in charge of the Taiwan Shakuhachi Society (all in chinese):
http://www.shaku8.org.tw/index.html

I've been to the shaku8 forum but there's VERY little traffic. I'll try the email again and check out the website. Thanks a lot!

Josh wrote:

Here is a site of a player connected with Kanzaki sensei (Zak you'll have to read the Chinese though, I can only pick up small pieces of it- BTW it really is an advantage to learn Chinese, you'll pick up so much more Kanji than learning Japanese):
http://www.shianism.com/meter8.htm

I have a BA in Chinese and have lived here for 6 years wink  I've often considered studying Japanese but I'm afraid I wouldn't have many opportunities to really use it here in Taiwan.

Zak

#12 2008-10-01 23:24:19

shashank

Hi Zak
Sorry for the late reply
I am in Taiwan already.....Nankang, Taipei
I came here as a Post Doctoral Researcher at Academia Sinica
How may I contact you?
Cheers
Shashank

#13 2008-10-02 04:55:08

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Shashank.  Good luck with shakuhachi in Taiwan!  It's quite different from Japan so you may have some initial culture shock...  At least I did when visiting there several decades ago; I actually thought about moving there for a time after that in order to study a martial art (a friend of mine was there studying Hsing-i and Pakua) but never followed up on it.  Check out Taroko Gorge as a place to play your flute; there was cheap lodging at a little Catholic hostel up there somewhere; don't know if it's still there...

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-10-02 04:57:24)

#14 2008-10-02 13:40:46

Zakarius

shashank wrote:

How may I contact you?

I'm in Taichung if you're ever in the neighborhood. I generally work 7 days a week (but still under 30 hours a week), so my chances of getting up to Taibei to visit are slim. Toss me an email and we can try to work something out wink

Zak

#15 2009-01-04 06:55:19

blowbamboo
Website

shashank wrote:

Hi Zak
Sorry for the late reply
How may I contact you?
Cheers
Shashank