Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-01 14:09:33

-Prem

New Yorkers! I seek assistance

Hello everyone-
I have just returned to America from Kyoto, JAPAN where I have been seriously studying Taizan Ryu shakuhachi with Tsukamoto Chikuzen for the last 10 months. Right now I am in California, but I will be moving to New York City sometime in the next couple weeks. I am wondering if any of the New Yorkers out there have any leads on a room for rent or any assistance they can offer in that direction. I have been to NY numerous times, but this is the first time I will be actually living there. So I am unfamiliar with the best neighborhoods to live. Any advice or assistance would be highly appreciated. If you are logged in to shakuhachiforum.com you can contact me through email.

Thanks,
Prem

Last edited by -Prem (2008-09-01 14:12:20)

#2 2008-09-01 15:53:55

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: New Yorkers! I seek assistance

Hi Prem,

The rents are pretty stiff in Manhattan. Having just recently returned, I was shocked at how much the rents have gone up in just the past two years.

Everyone I know keeps an eye on Craigslist  for shares. In Manhattan, Harlem has the least expensive rents. You'll get more space for your money in Brooklyn, Queens and Hoboken. All are easy commutes to Manhattan. You have to meet the people you will be sharing with. NYC is full of characters. My first share was a loft in Chinatown. Great space, food and locale, but the head room mate was a little nutty.

Nearly all of Manhattan and even most of Harlem is pretty safe these days.

Feel free to ask about a specific neighborhood

Best of luck, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-09-01 18:40:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hey Prem, have fun, move to Brooklyn. May I ask, why are you moving to NYC?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-09-02 03:47:15

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Ohhh.... you are already back from Kyoto. Well, that means I might be able to see and HEAR you when I pass by NYC late October when I will be going to a conference at Wesleyan. Hope you will be there already.

I hope you will write more about your stay here on the forum. It has been a very interesting read so far!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2008-09-02 11:22:15

-Prem

Hello Perry, Brian and Kiku-
Thanks for the replies and advice. I REALLY appreciate it.

Brian- I was asked to move to NY and help out the Yoga community that I belong to. Otherwise I would not have left Japan. Life is funny like that. What parts of Brooklyn are good? I want to avoid the hipsters.

Kiku- I will write more in the future now that I am back in the states. Also, my computer died and is being repaired at this moment. Lately, my computer time has been very limited. I will hopefully be in NY by the end of the month, so I should be there in October. I look forward to seeing you.

Thanks again,
Prem

#6 2008-09-02 13:37:52

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Prem,

We have had a large Shakuhachi Dojo - KiSuiAn (the largest and most active in the world outside Japan), in NYC, for the past 35 years.
It is located in West Greenwich Village.

In addition James Nyoraku Schlefer (my Kokesha), runs KyoShinAn in Brooklyn, perhaps the second largest DOJO in the continental USA.
Also teaching at his DOJO in Brooklyn is Daniel Nyohaku Soergel...
...in Queens Allen Nyoshin Steir....
...and on Long Island, Cynthia Nyoen Chaffee.

Please contact me, and maybe I can help in some way!
Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin (917-207-6724)
<nyogetsu@gmail.com>

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#7 2008-09-06 12:33:41

-Prem

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I appreciate it!
I hope to meet some of the NY players once I get settled.

I am still searching for a place so if anyone hears of an opening please let me know.
I have tried to find a sublet over the internet (craigslist), but it is very difficult to do from California. Of course everyone wants to meet the person who will potentially sublet. And of course I would want to meet my potential room mate. Unfortunately I do not have that option in this case. I am just trying to get to NY so I can search in person for a place. So if anyone even hears or knows of a place I could stay, even short term, please let me know. That is the reason I am going through this forum. Shakuhachi people are generally nice people and trusting.

Thanks again,
Prem

Last edited by -Prem (2008-09-06 19:27:36)

Board footer