Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-14 22:53:12

Omsong

Greetings

It was "way" back in the late 80s that I first heard shakuhachi.  It was on a recording by Riley Lee called "Oriental Sunrise".  I really had no idea what the instrument was like (other than it was a flute) or how it was played, but absolutely loved the way it sounded.  After the internet became available, I did some on line research and discovered the world of shakuhachi.   My first shakuhachi was a PVC one that I ordered from Carl Abbot, along with his self tutorial.  It took me three days of intermittant practice before I successfully blew my first, sputtering RO.   Later I was fortunate to take a few lessons with Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin.

I am a casual player, prefering Japanese folk tunes, never having learned or developed the skill to play honkyoku.  Actually, shakuhachi is not my main instrument, concentrating rather on mandolin, guitar and occasionally a little clawhammer banjo.

I have found shakuhachi to be a very demanding teacher; requiring great determination, patience and humility.  For that discipline I am greatful.

A few booring statitics: male, age 55, live near Lancaster, PA, USA... work in electronics industry... read "Autobiography of a Yogi" > 35 years ago and it changed my life.

I hope that this board is a great success.  My thanks to it's founders!

Cheers,
   Brian

Omsong

"The universe melts into the soundless voice.  The sound melts into the
    all-shining light. And the light enters the bosom of infinite joy."   P. Yogananda

Board footer