Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-03 10:16:00

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Greetings from Holland

Hi, a short message to introduce me. I live in Holland (aka the Netherlands) in Groningen and since one month started to learn play the shakuhachi. I bought a new Yuu (and stained it more dark). Today got my first official lesson and it was very motivating and fun. The teacher had a nice large shakuhachi as well, a very thick one it was as well. One day, I would like to get such a one myself!
For now: greetings and cheers,

Bas.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#2 2008-11-03 11:37:05

Dun Romin

Re: Greetings from Holland

Hi Bas, Welcome to the miraculous world of shakuhachi-playing. I hope it will give you as much joy ( smile and somtimes fatigue) as the rest of us. There are some more of us living in Holland. Who's your teacher?

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#3 2008-11-03 17:01:59

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Dank je, thanks! I hope it will give me joy as well! I think it might, I feel this is different then a regular instrument in the way of playing, basic-ness and still very complexness. This is probably not proper English...
I have lessons from Wim Gosens, a flutist-teacher,who also plays en teaches the shakuhachi in Leeuwarden. In my city there was no teacher apparantly.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#4 2008-11-06 15:53:18

Dun Romin

Don't bother the proper English; it's the content and the feeling that counts. smile It's just like shakuhachi playing for that. I'm not familiar with your teachers name. Where/from what school/teacher did he learn the shakuhachi? What music do you like best?
I guess you're pretty lucky having found a teacher that close, I know people traveling to other countries for their lessons. Is there a group of shakuhachiplayers around there? What repertoire?

#5 2008-11-07 04:21:29

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Bas
It sounds like your teacher's shakuhachi might perhaps come from Tani-ha? Tani-ha is the school of Nishimura Koku, and they use long fat shakuhachi as you describe. There are some members in Europe (Germany, Denmark). There was a Tani-ha suizenkai last weekend in Kyushu, which was a privilege to attend. Tani-ha focuses on the Zen aspect of the komuso tradition. Also some other groups use large fat shakuhachi. Gives a nice deep sound, quite suitable for relaxing I think.

Good luck with your training!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#6 2008-11-07 04:30:42

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

That was also a good thing I believe in the lesson I had: it was not about being precise about specific technique, as it sounds well it is probably ok. Quite different then my saxophone lessons I had in the past. I dont'know which school my teacher is from, I can ask. Probably Kees Kort I think...but am not certain. They know each other and kees recommended him...Do you have a teacher Dun Romin?
I cannot say which music I like best; I have a cd with honkyoku which I like, but haven't heard much in the field of Shakuhachi. There is no group of of players here that I know of. Where do you live in Holland?
Justin, what you said might be true, the shaku is from Japan, some other member of Kaito, the dutch shaku society goes there I believe and takes home various shaku's to sell. My teacher has other shaku's as well, but smaller and also a Yuu like I do.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#7 2008-11-07 06:54:21

Dun Romin

Hi Bas,
Now I can place things better, thanks. I didn't know Ken Tanaka sells also those flutes. And he indeed gets the flutes directly from Japan; my flutes com from him too. He always gives you a good time to try them out, before you have to decide. I'm also a member of Kaito; as well as of the ESS. My teachers are Kees Kort and Véronique Piron, and I live near Gouda.
So probably we'll have the opportunity to meet next july, since the next European shakuhachi-summerschool with lessons on every level and concerts/events is then planned in Leiden for the Leiden-Japanyear 2009.

#8 2008-11-07 09:47:23

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Wim said he got it from Ken Tanaka and said Ken had several flutes, so there is where it came from. I don't know what flutes he normaly has. I'll learn on the Yuu and maybe later buy a nice bamboo flute (also due to the price of bamboo).
The ESS is the europian variant? I didn't know it excisted.
Yes I got a mail from Kees about the summerschool, I wil definitely try to be there!
You have many flutes?

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#9 2008-11-08 13:53:21

Dun Romin

It's indeed a good idea to start learning on the Yuu; you are better able to choose the right bamboo flute when you know a bit how to play and what you like playing most. The Yuu plays fine, this spring I still used it in an outdoor concert, for the sound was better than on the 1.8 tozanflute I now normally use. For the honkyoku I like to use my 2.0 kinko jinashi. Yes, good bamboo flutes are expensive; smile I'm saving for a 1.6 right now and I'll just keep on saving till one passes along that really, really suits me.
Indeed, ESS stands for European Shakuhachi Society and it wil be nice to see you in Leiden

#10 2008-11-09 12:53:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

The ESS or the European Shakuhachi Society is, as the name suggests, a European shakuhachi society. We strive to be an umbrella organisation trying to make the networking and communication of European shakuhachi players better. And education is one of our main aims as an organisation. Since it was formed at the first Pan European Shakuhachi Summer School in London 06, we have now managed to get it registered as a charity organisation in the UK, although 2 of the 5 committee members have to be from continental Europe in order to keep it... so to speak... European and not British.

You can see our website here, which is mostly just about the Summer School 07: www.shakuhachisociety.eu

We should get a new website up before the end of the year. Slowly we will have it to work in 3 languages, English, German and French. We have a quarterly ESS Newsletter coming out (you can find that on the website), which we also try to keep trilingual as much as possible.

One of our main aims in ESS is to organise these Shakuhachi Summer Schools where people can come and learn different aspects of shakuhachi playing. I organised the first one in London with my colleague Michael Coxall in 2006, then two other members of the ESS committee, Jim Franklin and Veronique Piron organised 2007. Now we are doing what we hoped to be able to do from the beginning: Help smaller shakuhachi groups organise the Summer Schools in different parts of Europe. So, you are right, the next one is going to be in Leiden, The Netherlands in July 2009. It is going to be a part of a 2 year celebration of the contact between Leiden and Japan 08 and 09. Kees Kort is the artistic director and the main local person. I am sure he will announce it officially here. It is going to be great! Details to come soon! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#11 2009-01-01 13:58:43

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I checked the website, I think it is still the old version?
I am looking forward to the summer school in Leiden, are more details available (or am I too impatient wink)

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

Board footer