Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-08 10:43:46

mrosenlof

Newbie Intro - flute and Japanese background

Hello,

As a kid I lived on a US air force base in western Tokyo-To (Yokota, 1965-1968).  After that time, I have several years of Japanese study - enough to get me around Japan very easily, but I'm still thinking mostly in English and translating in my head.  I also have been studying western flute for the past six years. I've been curious about shakuhachi for quite a while, and started lessons this week. I don't intend to stop playing the silver flute, and hope I can find enough time to practice both (engineering job and 2 teenage kids).  I'll see where this path leads.

I'm playing a Yuu.  It seems like a fine choice for a starter instrument.  Living near Boulder Colorado, I had the rare luxury (rare in the US, at least) of two good teachers to choose from. I'll be studying with David Wheeler.

Lots of fun so far!  Except for the notation, many of the basic concepts sound just like things I hear from my flute teacher.

Mike Rosenlof

#2 2006-03-08 12:50:55

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Newbie Intro - flute and Japanese background

Welcome to the world of shakuhachi.
While there are of course many similarities with silver flute, I think you'll find there are quite a few major differences as well.
You have a great teacher!

Board footer