World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-21 23:39:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Shakuhachi in Okinawan music?

I met an Okinawan sanshin player who lives 20 meters from my teashop. Therefore we want to play music together, but I don't understand the stuff he's playing. Does anybody have experience playing shakuhachi with Okinawan music and can give me some pointers?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2008-11-22 02:20:52

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Shakuhachi in Okinawan music?

Tairaku wrote:

I met an Okinawan sanshin player who lives 20 meters from my teashop. Therefore we want to play music together, but I don't understand the stuff he's playing. Does anybody have experience playing shakuhachi with Okinawan music and can give me some pointers?

All I know is that you will have to play the Ryukyu scale and get familiar the with the usual feel and melody of those islands. I have a Shakuhachi manual somewhere the exaplined Ryukyu sclae and the standard melody etc I will try to look in my mess or maybe others will remember what book it is.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2008-11-22 05:34:43

Bruce Hunter

Tairuku already knows this, but for newer players...

Blasdel/Kamisango (The Shakuhachi a manual for learning) has Ryukyu as:

Ro, Re chu-meri, Re, Chi, Go-no hi chu-meri (or Ro chu-meri), Ro

This scale is included in PentatonicScalesForShakuhachiRTR in the NOTA folder at:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/5119010/dc0a … aring.html

whenever the numbers at the top of the column is 41241, 12414, 24141, 41412, or 14124 which are the interval maps of this scale and its modes

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#4 2008-11-22 06:04:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Bruce.

Yes I know the scale, but I don't really know how the shakuhachi interacts with the shamisen and voice. Probably just follow the melody.

Do you know if they usually play off of "ro" or off of "re" as the fundamental?

I noticed that he was playing in strange keys like Ab, so I should be able to cope with that by using different length flutes. He also said, "We have a different shakuhachi." I asked, "What's the difference?" Answer: "I don't know." lol

Of course we usually use 1.8 (D) for most ensemble work in Japanese music. Maybe they play in a lot of different keys in Okinawa.

Anyway he is across the street, so we should be able to get some serious practice time in and I'll learn by rote if I have to. It's going to be fun.

He came in with his roommate and when I played typical minyo like "Sakura" and "Kojo no tsuki" they were almost crying. They said, "It's like we are back home."

I have several Japanese girls working at the teahouse and if I want them to make me some good food I must play minyo. They don't really care about honkyoku or gaikyoku. They don't recognize it. Not even "Rokudan" or "Kurokami". They like minyo and "Haru no Umi". Although they usually get excited when I play Nezasaha, because they recognize the sound of Aomori.

Ciao,

BR

#5 2008-11-22 14:21:25

Jim Thompson

From my very limited experience with Okinawan music, I've seen re and ha used as the tonal center. I've never seen ro used but, again, my knowledge is scanty at best.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#6 2008-11-22 19:28:02

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Ny personal suggestion would be to try to emulate the voice of the following songs from Okinawa. They are quite easy and are also famous.

So here ya go.

last two are a bit modern but if you get the voice part on Shakuhachi you will be ok since they also exist as solo pieces on the sanchin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUNItTb … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LHfNml-Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_65TFH_ … re=related

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#7 2008-11-23 02:23:46

changjc

The two Okinawa songs I often play with shakuhachi are Hana (flower) and ShimaUta (Song of Island).
The two songs are easy to play.
The young shakuihachi master Fijiwara had recorded them in his CD.

#8 2009-01-12 01:03:23

Moran from Planet X
Website

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Ro, Re chu-meri, Re, Chi, Go-no hi chu-meri (or Ro chu-meri), Ro...

Hi Bruce, I'm reading Blasdel (new edition pag. 44) as :

Ro, Re-meri (not chu meri), Re, Chi, Go-no hi chu-meri, Ro

of roughly corresponding to:

D  -  F# -  G - A - C# - D

That sounds right to me. The Re-meri being that infamous quarter-shaded #2 hole and half-shaded #1 hole played with chin in meri position, breath softened. For "authenticy's" sake I'm not sure if this is a slightly sharp F# or a slightly flat F#.

Go-no hi chu-meri as #1 and #2 closed #5 half-holed. For "authenticy's" sake I'm not sure if this is a slightly sharp C# or a slightly flat C#.

Oui? non? Have I strayed far afield? Will I be damned by the shakuhachi gods to play Smooth Jazz in pink shag-carpeted lounge for the rest of my days with a Robert Goulet look-alike?

(BTW, If Bill Schultz is reading this: I'm still playing my scales as ordered, honest. Really, Truly. But I like to peer to other side of the mountain every once in a while.)
smile

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#9 2009-01-12 05:59:48

Bruce Hunter

Chris,
You're correct, of course. Thanks for the catch. Don't know what I was thinking at the time. As far as authenticity goes, I'm don't have the foggiest idea of where the city of authenti is, so I can't help you there. 8^)

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#10 2009-01-14 12:19:16

bluebamboo

It's a really beautiful scale. The two half steps sound tender. I wonder if there are ascending versions and descending versions too?

#11 2009-01-15 02:39:00

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Ro, Re chu-meri, Re, Chi, Go-no hi chu-meri (or Ro chu-meri), Ro...

Hi Bruce, I'm reading Blasdel (new edition pag. 44) as :

Ro, Re-meri (not chu meri), Re, Chi, Go-no hi chu-meri, Ro

of roughly corresponding to:

D  -  F# -  G - A - C# - D

That sounds right to me. The Re-meri being that infamous quarter-shaded #2 hole and half-shaded #1 hole played with chin in meri position, breath softened. For "authenticy's" sake I'm not sure if this is a slightly sharp F# or a slightly flat F#.

Hi Chris
I'm not sure about Tozan notation but at least in Kinko notation "re meri" on a 1.8 is F not F#. F# is "re chu meri".

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#12 2009-01-15 04:29:23

Bruce Hunter

bluebamboo,

In the Blasdell/Kamisango book, in the chapter under discussion, there is no mention of ascending and descending scales having differences. This doesn't mean, of course, that you won't play/hear small differences, just that it won't be notated that way.

later...

#13 2009-01-17 18:36:21

Bruce Hunter

Today's offering, at the usual place, in the Okinawa folder...

Asadoya-Yunta, Bashofu, Chinnukujuushii, Chinsagu No Hana

Please let me know of any problems like, not Okinawan, not public domain, etc., and I'll get the offending files off the site, or moved to a more correct folder. Thank you.

later...

#14 2009-01-17 20:26:04

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris, confusion is the legacy of the shakuhachi score writers.  You have to remember that instead of Re Meri they call it Re Chu Meri and instead of Re Dai Meri they call it Re Meri. Inconsistencies? They do these things just to keep everyone on their two toed tabi.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2009-01-17 20:29:24

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Thanks for scores Bruce.

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-01-17 20:36:08)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#16 2009-01-18 01:42:42

Bruce Hunter

Chikuzen,

You're very welcome. More (20+) are in the pipeline.

later...

#17 2009-01-20 08:01:57

Bruce Hunter

Today's offering, at the usual place, in the Okinawa folder...

Furusato No Ame, Futami-Jowa, Juku No Haru, Musume Jintoyo, Nishinjo-Bushi, Uruwashi No Ryukyu, Yonaguni-Kouta, Yuuna No Hana

later...

#18 2009-01-20 12:20:33

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

you are the man.

#19 2009-01-20 12:23:30

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Bruce, do you transcribe them by ear? Or do you have the western notation for it?

#20 2009-01-21 03:02:40

Bruce Hunter

Thanks Geni,

No, I didn't transcribe them by ear, as I have them in western notation. I was hoping to find some already in shakuhachi notation, but no such luck. The search continues...

later...

#21 2009-02-04 14:01:50

Moran from Planet X
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Chris
I'm not sure about Tozan notation but at least in Kinko notation "re meri" on a 1.8 is F not F#. F# is "re chu meri".

Justin

Oh. Just got back to this thread. Yes, I see. I fooled myself in the Blasdell book reading Ri-chu-meri as Re-meri -- I was expecting to see the diacritical mark on the left side of the Re character as in the chart on page 40.  Although it was the appropriate diacritical mark it was on the right side of the charater on page 44. So yes, F# / Ru-chu-meri --  a half step difference between Re-chu-meri and Re which gives the Ryukyu scale that special quality. Thanks for the correction.

I guess I'll have to buy a toupée on sale at Hair-R-Us and go play Lounge music with Bob Goulet after all. ... I wonder if I can find a toupée to match the pink shag rug?

(Chikusen, do you have any spare toupée I can borrow, preferably pink? I know you're good for a loan of some slightly used tabi.)

Also this on the Ryukyu scale in G from Jim Thompson:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...There is an Okinawan piece( they use the major mode a lot) called Ryukyu. It is in G major. That would be a major scale based on re on a 1.8. The scale would be re, chi, ri chu meri, ri, ro, tsu chu meri, re meri, and re. It was difficult mainly because of ri chu meri. It's good practice. ...

It's a lovely scale. We'll have to rope Dr. Lee into teaching more on this next time he comes around SoCal.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#22 2009-02-04 20:32:18

edosan
Edomologist

Justin wrote:

Hi Chris

Funny (maybe not), but it's always been clear to me that there is no 're chu meri'. You have re (G on a 1.8),
then a half-step down is 're meri' (F#), and another half-step down from that is 're dai-meri', which is the pitch of tsu (F).

'Re dai-meri' is usually notated as a 'special note' in Honkyoku; as a re kanji with a circle in it.

If I am in error here, please elucidate.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#23 2009-02-04 22:22:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Correct Ed, "chu meri" usually only applies to the intervals that have a minor third between holes, i.e. tsu (and ro) and ri (and chi).

#24 2009-02-04 22:42:14

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

edosan wrote:

Justin wrote:

Hi Chris

Funny (maybe not), but it's always been clear to me that there is no 're chu meri'. You have re (G on a 1.8),
then a half-step down is 're meri' (F#), and another half-step down from that is 're dai-meri', which is the pitch of tsu (F).

Hi Edosan
So long as you don't play sankyoku, you'll be fine. Otherwise the result of your conclusion will be terribly out of tune.

This point does confuse honkyoku players sometimes though, as re chu meri does not generally occur in honkyoku, whereas re meri does.

Actually it follows exactly the same logic as "ri" and "tsu", where chu meri means one step (semi-tone) down, and meri (sometimes specified as dai meri (for example in Chikumeisha notation charts for tsu meri) to differentiate it from chu meri, but usually called simply meri (for example for tsu meri in the actual scores of Chikumeisha) means two steps down. So from ri, one step down is ri chu meri. Two steps down is ri meri. From tsu, one step down is tsu chu meri. Two steps down is tsu meri. And likewise for re.

Chi one step down is simply chi meri, as is ro, one step down at ro meri.
The logic for chi and ro is different. Chi at the pitch of re (2 steps down), and ro at the pitch of ri, are note commonly existing as independant notes, in traditional Kinko music (so far as I understand). The do exist as pitches by in the form of nayashi, in which case they are not notated as separate notes. I expect that it is because there was no need to specify 2 different meris for these two notes, that they chose the shorter written form for the one meri which does occur, thus naming them simply "chi meri" and "ro meri". The basic philosophy of the early traditional Kinko notation system seems to have been "write as little as needed". On the rare occasion then that ro at the pitch of ri occurs as an independent note, this is notated "ro dai meri".

Within Chikushinkai, there are 2 ways re meri is written. One is with a circle through the bottom line of re. The other is with a just an extra line crossing the bottom line of re - similar to the line which crosses tsu. That is used often in some versions of Kinko notation, perhaps more common with modern music, and represents the kana for "me" which in turn stands for "meri". Re chu meri, in that style, is written as the extra line crossing the smaller upper line of "re", rather than the bottom line. This is similar to how tsu chu meri is notated in that system.

Also for re meri in honkyoku it is often fingered with either no finger shading or 2nd hole partly shaded, whereas in sankyoku it often played with both 2 and 1 partly shaded. This is not something to worry about too much though I think, and can be flexible.

I think the reason for the Chikushinkai notation having re with a circle, representing "o meri" (great meri) is because many of the student who read that notation do not study sankyoku. So they do not come across re chu meri. So if they se only "re meri", they may be confused and try to play re chu meri, thinking it should be in between re and tsu (which would actually be re chu meri). So to make it quite clear to them, this notation makes the intention more clear.

The importance of these notes comes from key changes in sankyoku. For more details about that, see post #31 on this page:
http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.ph … 28&p=2

Justin
http://senryu.com/

#25 2009-02-04 23:57:38

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

edosan wrote:

So, Justin.

Whether you are playing Honkyoku, Sankyoku, or Beethoven, it baffles me how you (Justin) manage to squeeze
another half-step in where there isn't one available
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5926/remerikj6.jpg

Hi Edosan
That's what catches people. Re chu meri is one semitone down from re, so is in between re and tsu. Re meri is the same pitch as tsu. Like I said above:

Justin wrote:

"re meri" on a 1.8 is F not F#. F# is "re chu meri".

Where people get confused is because it's unusual in some music systems to have 2 different notes having the same pitch. In this case (Kinko-ryu music) it comes from the necessity of having the pitch of tsu but the meri tone colour, from key changes in sankyoku music (see the link I mentioned above for a fuller explanation).

Where did you get that notation chart? Looks to me to be in error. It has the symbol for re meri where it should be re chu meri. Perhaps that is the source of your confusion.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2009-02-05 00:01:21)

Board footer