Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-24 08:37:12

Boe Pyne

Hi from newbie, Boe

I am a musician (classical guitar). I first came by the shakuhachi about 15-20 years ago; an composer friend of mine had one - he didn't play it, it was just one of the many curiousities he had accumulated.  I knew as soon as I saw it that I would get a sound from it, I borrowed it for about 2 years and loved it for a while before it began to get ignored, at which point I returned it.
  About 3-4 years ago I remembered the thing and googled 'shakuhachi'. I ended up buying a Yuu from Niel's website, then a Monty student 2.4 from him, then a top level 2.8 from Monty himself - a truely wonderful thingy and such a nice guy.

#2 2008-12-24 08:55:56

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: Hi from newbie, Boe

Hi Boe
Welcome to the forum. Which country are you in? Maybe near some of us other members. I'm here in Japan on the outskirts of Tokyo.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas!

Justin Senryu
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#3 2008-12-24 13:28:55

Boe Pyne

Hi Justin,
        Greetings from the UK.

#4 2008-12-24 13:41:22

airin
Website

Nice to meet you Boe.

Are you currently studying with a teacher?

best of the holiday season to you!

Erin

#5 2008-12-24 21:25:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Boe Pyne wrote:

Hi Justin,
        Greetings from the UK.

Hi Boe
Ah, whereabouts? I'm originally from the UK too, but came to live in Japan to study with the teachers here. Every once in a while I come back to England to visit family, show my instruments and offer lessons too.

If you're near London, there's Michael Coxall teaching there if you didn't already know. He's a very traditional teacher and really has the Japanese nuance. He's also  great guy, well worth studying with if you are interested in the traditional music.

Best wishes
Justin

#6 2008-12-25 03:38:23

Boe Pyne

Hi again,
         Airin, no I've not studied with any teacher yet though I am considering getting a few online lessons with Michael Chikuzen Gould ('think I've spelt that right!?). I bought the Yokoyama's set of 16 Honkyoku published by Monty, though I have to admit I've only ever dipped into it; I'm trying to learn 'Yamagoe' at the moment - I listen to Riley Lee's recording the most to guide me.
   Though I intend to get lessons at some point, with Michael probably, I can imagine my technique being torn apart; I have, what I've come to realise is, a rather strange embroucher. With it I can get a fantastic control of the tone that is immediate, but it somewhat precludes tonguing as the tongue is intimately involved.
    Justin, I'm in Bedford about 50 miles north of London. Thanks for the saying about Michael Coxall - I've not heared of him but will follow it up.

#7 2008-12-25 03:56:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Boe Pyne wrote:

Though I intend to get lessons at some point, with Michael probably, I can imagine my technique being torn apart; I have, what I've come to realise is, a rather strange embroucher. With it I can get a fantastic control of the tone that is immediate, but it somewhat precludes tonguing as the tongue is intimately involved.

Tonguing is not a part of traditional shakuhachi playing. That's one of the main differences between shakuhachi and western wind instruments. It is STRONGLY advised to get lessons as soon as possible because the notation does not have all the information you need to play the pieces (even if you understand the notation) and while you might be able to imitate the pitches on a recording, there are numerous ways of obtaining those pitches and the likelihood that you'll stumble upon the correct ones on your own is very slight. Welcome to the forum and the shakuhachi odyssey that awaits you.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2008-12-25 12:09:30

edosan
Edomologist

Boe Pyne wrote:

... I can imagine my technique being torn apart...

Isn't that the whole and entire point of having a teacher, so that you can then put it properly back together again?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer