Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-17 23:29:07

ABRAXAS

Hooked

Having taken up Shakuhachi only within the last few months I am hooked.

I've been lurking here in that time and am grateful for all the information shared by the great players, teachers, and scholars here.

I run a small bookshop in Fla. and grew up around music and musicians, and have pursued a broad range of musical listening, and playing, especially along the lines of avant garde western music and various indigenous traditional forms of music, especially Asian. By some neural twist I completely shut down on listening to music for nearly 10 years after having listened to music nearly 24 hours a day for most of my life (I'm 43 years old). Seriously, I stopped listening to music for a long time, sold off all my instruments, and wallowed in silence.

The Shakuhachi has re-ignited my love for music. This is very interesting to me because the Shakuhachi has combined everything I love about all forms of music: the melancholia of blues, the extremely far-out and experimental seeming-dissonance of jazz and avant garde music, and the authenticity of traditional ethnic music - all in one instrument. I have found a new lifetime pursuit. I love this instrument.

I'm currently using three shakuhachi made by Perry Yung, two earth shakuhachi, one 2.4 the other 2.9, and one 2.3 hocchiku (my favorite). I get in between 2-5 hours practice daily. Currently I'm self-taught, playing by ear, focussing on basic scales, playing ro-buku, beginning to memorize the kinko notation, and finding my way around the instrument by figuring out various melodies floating around in my memory and imagination. I just ordered the Shakuhachi manual by Mr. Blasdel from Monty Levinson and look forward to working through that. I am temperamentally obsessive, so I'll probably literally work through every page of the book. I don't have a teacher right now but I do have a fortunate acquaintance of many years who has played shakuhachi for many years, has a degree in ethnomusicology (specifically Japanese music), and has studied shakuhachi for some time (with John Singer, I think, in the 80s?), who helps out with good technical tips such as fingerings for different note-breaks, ornamental embellishments, etc. I'm progressing in learning Kyorei and Hon Shirabe (from recordings and notation), and have figured out (by ear) segments of Sankara Sugagaki, one of my favorite tracks from Brian Tairaku Ritchie's Ryoanji CD, which I love.

I am especially interested in learning honkyoku and other traditional pieces and acquiring a strong base in traditional forms for improvisation. I have no desire to perform publically or teach. I just want to play and enjoy the instrument and the music.

Of the Shakuhachi music I've listened to so far, I really love the tracks I've tracked down from Watazumi Doso. I am interested in hearing more raw bamboo playing from Okuda Atsuya, Koku Nishimura, and I am especially interested in tracking down the recordings of Sabu Orimo based on the reveiws I've read. So far I am most interested in a combination of traditional and extreme experimental work with the Shakuhachi. When I was in my teens and twenties I loved extremely experimental music and was a huge fan of Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith, needless to say it was a jolt to be researching Shakuhachi and to discover the work of Kiku Day for the first time online! I wish she was teaching in Florida!

THANK YOU for this forum! I'll be lurking and reading and occasionally asking VERY basic questions. I'll do my best not to be an annoyance!

JIM

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-01-18 10:02:44)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#2 2009-01-18 01:48:19

Bruce Hunter

Re: Hooked

ABRAXAS,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great and gracious people here. The worst kind of question is the unasked one. Most of us remember we were beginners once. Some of us think we'll be beginners forever. 8^) The archives is a wealth of information.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#3 2009-01-18 05:46:45

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

you write well; it was a pleasure to read!
welcome to the forum.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#4 2009-01-18 23:04:51

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hello Jim, though it's all been said, I welcome you none the less.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#5 2009-01-19 02:29:30

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

If you are interested in listening to more from Okuda Atsuya, I can tell you that soon or at least soonish a CD of a live recording from a concert in Finland should be coming out. Also another wonderful CD called Bamboo Zen is on its way... This is a studio recording.

The work I did with Henry and Fred was FUN to do ! They are both great musicians.

Good luck on your shakuhachi journey and I hope to hear more from you here on the forum!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2009-01-19 12:37:03

nyokai
shihan
Website

Sabu Orima's two CD-Rs from a couple of years ago are no longer available, but I think the downloadable tracks of "Ichi On" are not hard to find online.

#7 2009-01-19 18:52:07

ABRAXAS

Kiku Day wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

If you are interested in listening to more from Okuda Atsuya, I can tell you that soon or at least soonish a CD of a live recording from a concert in Finland should be coming out. Also another wonderful CD called Bamboo Zen is on its way... This is a studio recording.

The work I did with Henry and Fred was FUN to do ! They are both great musicians.

Good luck on your shakuhachi journey and I hope to hear more from you here on the forum!

Excellent News! Thank you for sharing! I think I saved all of your posts from the jinashi forum to my hard-drive.

I will most definately keep an eye out for those CDs along with anything you put out!

J.

#8 2009-01-19 18:53:32

ABRAXAS

nyokai wrote:

Sabu Orima's two CD-Rs from a couple of years ago are no longer available, but I think the downloadable tracks of "Ichi On" are not hard to find online.

Thanks for the heads-up! The reviews sound exactly like what I am interested in.

If anyone has a line on the discontinued CDr's feel free to contact me! (email at left).

Thanks!
J.

#9 2009-01-19 18:55:33

ABRAXAS

Thank you everyone else for the kind words and welcome.

Mr. Cairns, it must be exciting to study Shakuhachi in Japan!

#10 2009-01-19 19:23:48

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jim, Great to see you here. I'm so happy that you are enjoying the flutes.

ABRAXAS wrote:

....I'm currently using three shakuhachi made by Perry Yung, two earth shakuhachi, one 2.4 the other 2.9, and one 2.3 hocchiku (my favorite).

From your introduction, I can see why the hocchiku is your favorite. The precarious hollow sound certainly lend itself to contemporary experimental music You are off on quite a journey!

Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.

Thanks again my friend,  Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#11 2009-01-19 19:51:51

ABRAXAS

Thank You Perry!

I love all three of these flutes, but I have to say this hotchiku is my favorite! I found early from going to a 2.4 that made playing a 1.8 easier, then going from a 2.9 made technical aspects of the 2.4 easier. The hotchiku is an interesting and different story. If I'm not mistaken the angle of the utaguchi is slightly different which forced me to pay more attention to my embouchure when going back and forth between this and the other shakuahchi. Also, I expected the flexibility of tone that you mentioned to be more difficult at first, but I found it actually helped me by being more receptive to half-tones (via partial hole covering), and I also found doing meri etc. easier on this hotchiku, then all of the above transferred with more ease to the other shakuhachi. I don't know how customary it is for beginners to experiment on different size/types of flute, but I found at a very basic technical level that finding my way around on any one of the different flutes contributed to finding my way on all of them. Plus I think it adds stimulus to practice when I can switch around on different instruments. I love these long flutes and am entire sold on hotchiku - I can't tell you how much I enjoy the sound of this instrument.

Funny thing, I don't know what the temperature was in NYC when you sent the hotchiku, but it was quite warm here when it first arrived, then we were hit by a fast cold front, going from 65-70 degrees to about 40 degrees within around 12 hours, I was playing the hotchiku and heard a CRACK! You bound this very well so it had nothing to do with anything you did, but a narrow crack opened across the outer surface (not all the way throught) of the ONE joint not bound on either side! No problem, I'll follow the directions on your blog and bind it! As others have said here, it adds character to the flute, especially a hotchiku! Plus, I think everyone who owns a flute should know how to do minor repairs anyway.

Thanks again for making these excellent instruments obtainable! Right now if my house caught fire the first things I would save would be 1. my cat and 2. my Yung Flutes!

Jim

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-01-19 19:54:07)

#12 2009-01-20 00:58:01

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

Thank you everyone else for the kind words and welcome.

Mr. Cairns, it must be exciting to study Shakuhachi in Japan!

Hi Jim, I suppose that there is/was a certain excitement to it, but it was really more like diving head-first into a highly reflective pool with a calming sense of abandon that only a good teacher could offer.  Not being able to communicate verbally with my teacher was the cause of that.  The reflectiveness eventually dissipated to reveal immeasurable depth and constantly changing hue.  My palette offers many choices now as will yours.  And please feel free to call me Jeff.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#13 2009-01-20 11:33:14

ABRAXAS

I forgot to mention, my shakuhachi friend also gave me a copy of SHAKUHACHI: ASPECTS OF HISTORY, PRACTICE, AND TEACHING a 1974 doctoral dissertation by Andreas Gutzwiller that is extremely interesting. I've read through it once and plan to read through at least two more times with a notebook. I'll definitely have questions about a few things.

One aspect I appreciate about the instrument is the degree to which it was developed and used as an individual solo instrument not intended to be performed with or for others. When I was learning music from my grandfather as a kid and taking music and "band" in school, I realized early how much I preferred playing alone to playing with or for other people. I just wanted to play music for its own sake, playing with others has always felt constricting, and playing for others has always been distracting or annoying. There have only been a handful of people I enjoyed playing with, and only then because it was playing extremely unconventional music with extremely unconventional instrumental combinations, and very improvised. My grandfather was a jazz and classical musician so he had a very open and developed mind about music, but it wasn't until later that I had a good friend who was something of a genius, albeit self-destructive, who was not only extremely gifted at music but had limitless horizons about what to do with an instrument - he's the one who fully keyed me into the use of scales in improvisation with solo instruments, and who put me onto Jerry Coker's IMPROVISING JAZZ, even though I wasn't specifically interested in "Jazz" in the same sense the author was, still a useful book.

Another thing interesting about Gutzwiller is the passages about trying to comprehend shakuhachi in western musical terms; almost like reading Heisenberg trying to describe quantum indeterminacy, or H.P. Lovecraft talking about non-euclidian geometry! Yes, shakuhachi is the way to go!

#14 2009-01-20 12:18:35

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

welcome to the Club!! We are all Hooked.

#15 2009-01-20 12:58:45

edosan
Edomologist

ABRAXAS wrote:

Another thing interesting about Gutzwiller is the passages about trying to comprehend shakuhachi in western musical terms; almost like reading Heisenberg trying to describe quantum indeterminacy, or H.P. Lovecraft talking about non-euclidian geometry! Yes, shakuhachi is the way to go!

So. Well. Put.  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer