World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-29 11:46:03

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Index of shakuhachi recordings?

A recent email inquiry brings up the subject of an index of shakuhachi recordings. Is anyone aware of an index which lists the following?

Name of song
Length of flute
Recording information, etc.

An index like this could help players match their flute lengths with those in recordings in order to play along.

If a large index like this is not available, perhaps the forum is a good place for it to begin or continue. Is there an organizational minded shakuhachi superhero among us who can come to the rescue by putting something like this together and moderate the subject here on the forum? Perhaps something that can be added to as time goes by. The hours are long, the pay is poor but the rewards are great!

KL

#2 2009-01-29 11:48:52

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Index of shakuhachi recordings?

Mujitsu wrote:

A recent email inquiry brings up the subject of an index of shakuhachi recordings. Is anyone aware of an index which lists the following?

Name of song
Length of flute
Recording information, etc.

An index like this could help players match their flute lengths with those in recordings in order to play along.

If a large index like this is not available, perhaps the forum is a good place for it to begin or continue. Is there an organizational minded shakuhachi superhero among us who can come to the rescue by putting something like this together and moderate the subject here on the forum? Perhaps something that can be added to as time goes by. The hours are long, the pay is poor but the rewards are great!

KL

Well, although it's not all-encompassing, Komuso.com comes to mind as a place to start. Some extra effort would be required to determine all the flute lengths.

I've cobbled together a short tutorial on how to determine the flute length on a recording using a 1.8 shakuhachi and a fingering chart with western equivalent pitches. I'll put that together and post it here on the forum.

I also strongly recommend a very useful piece of software called 'Amazing Slow Downer', which will adjust the pitch and/or speed of a recording (or both simultaneously) from either a sound file or audio CD in real time. Will adjust pitch in semitones and cents, has a graphic EQ, can select segments from the tune and loop them (and save presets for any of these setups), and has many other features. It's available (for Mac or Windows) from www.ronimusic.com and sells for USD50.00, which includes future updates—very well supported and worth every penny.

Sorry for straying off topic  smile

Last edited by edosan (2009-01-29 11:58:44)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-01-29 11:55:26

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

edosan wrote:

Well, although it's not all-encompassing, Komuso.com comes to mind as a place to start. Some extra effort would be required to determine all the flute lengths.

Yes. Ron has done a lot of work there. That's a great start. The format of a forum seems ideal for this since it can be added to over time by any member once it's started.

#4 2009-01-29 14:08:21

madoherty

Look into Transcribe! as well.  It does much the same, and I think it is a little less.  I have used it for years.

#5 2009-01-29 14:55:28

Dun Romin

With editprograms, such as for example Wavepad you can simply put a recording in the pitch you want. (And also in the tempo you want.) Take care it's the pitch of your shakuhachi and you can play along.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#6 2009-01-29 16:31:13

mrosenlof

The latest version of Audacity (I think it's still called "beta") has pitch shift and tempo change effects.  It's worked well in my relatively limited use.

Best thing is Audacity is free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Mike Rosenlof

#7 2009-01-29 18:46:07

bblyman2000

Hi Everyone - A great stand alone device that will let you change key & or tempo allowing you to use any one shakuhachi to play along with or transcribe music at a slower speed with or without changing the key is the "CD-GT1" by Tascam.  Without adaptor it goes for around $150.  I got it on Sale from Guitar Center for $125.  I plug it into my stereo or you can use head phones.  If your like me and prefer to stay away from the computer.  Be Well, Bob.

#8 2009-01-29 20:20:52

madoherty

Mujitsu wrote:

edosan wrote:

Yes. Ron has done a lot of work there. That's a great start. The format of a forum seems ideal for this since it can be added to over time by any member once it's started.

This is a good idea, since it would be a monumental task to conduct alone.  The question of valid/authoritative information comes to mind, though.  How would you know that i knew what I was talking about if I added an entry?  Any ideas?
Michael

#9 2009-01-30 00:40:31

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

madoherty wrote:

This is a good idea, since it would be a monumental task to conduct alone.  The question of valid/authoritative information comes to mind, though.  How would you know that i knew what I was talking about if I added an entry?  Any ideas?
Michael

Well, good question but perhaps wrong timing. I would say in order to get something done, especially in this case, one person with the drive needs to simply do it. Once that happens, then your question becomes valid.

#10 2009-01-30 00:45:56

ABRAXAS

Edosan has good advice for pitch adjustment using this type of software.

Adobe Audition has a similar application to adjust pitch without changing tempo, but I have not experimented with it yet.

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-01-30 00:46:53)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#11 2009-01-30 01:03:15

madoherty

I am a cataloger-minded librarian, who else would enjoy something like this?  I will be your shakuhachi superhero if there are no better-qualified takers.

#12 2009-01-30 01:05:02

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

madoherty wrote:

I am a cataloger-minded librarian, who else would enjoy something like this?  I will be your shakuhachi superhero if there are no better-qualified takers.

My hero!

#13 2009-01-30 04:15:51

Bruce Hunter

madoherty wrote:

Another great idea from a forum member!

Having been a music librarian in a former incarnation, (college band, college orchestra, county band association), I can attest  to the amount of work and the expertise required.

Perhaps the rest of us could be of some small assistance if you were to generate a format that we could use for submissions  for your consideration.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#14 2009-01-30 09:12:37

madoherty

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Perhaps the rest of us could be of some small assistance if you were to generate a format that we could use for submissions  for your consideration.
later...

Thanks Bruce.  I have an idea about the format so that all will be able to contribute, with easy guidelines to follow.  I will draw them up in the coming days and start the ball rolling.

#15 2009-01-30 11:21:05

edosan
Edomologist

Oh, goody!

Our own shaku-wiki!!  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer