World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-01 04:24:02

ssakamoto
Website

Greetings from Gujo Hachiman

Hello everyone,
I moved to Gujo Hachiman, in Gifu Prefecture to teach English six months ago. Since then, I've also been taking shakuhachi lessons from a guy I work with. I don't speak enough Japanese to understand most of what he says, so reading posts on here  has been very helpful. I'm enjoying the instrument, and the discussions on this site. I look forward to learning more and hope I can contribute something useful sometime.

Sean Sakamoto

More about my life in rural Japan for anyone interested.

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

#2 2009-02-02 09:31:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Greetings from Gujo Hachiman

Hi Sean, Welcome to the forum!
I also did not understand enough Japanese to get the specific stylistic elements when I was studying in Japan, but it doesn't matter too much. After you begin to hear the music, it'll speak for itself!

I heard that Gifu has a museum dedicated to Bamboo. Is that true?

Say hello to Noriko!

Gambatte, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2009-02-02 11:03:21)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-02-02 10:22:27

MikeL

Hi Sean,

Good luck with shakuhachi. I had a look at the link that you provided
in your post, and found it very interesting.

Is your home literally unheated? If so, how do you keep the water pipes
from freezing?

I keep the temperature at 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter, which is
unbearable to friends who visit, so I have to turn the heat up when I
have company.  smile

- Mike

#4 2009-02-02 18:13:11

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi Sean,
  Welcome to the forum and welcome to Japan as well. Nice blog.  I live down in Nara if you ever get the chance to stop buy please do. We don't have as much snow as you guys, mostly only on the mountain tops. While you're in Japan try to get in as much Japanese as you can, everyone around you will be pleased just knowing your trying to make an effort. A lot of good relationships will develop. Good luck with the shakuhachi and don't hesitate to ask questions around here.

Perry- I don't know about Gifu but there is a big bamboo museum/park in Kyoto. It's a nice place to visit sometime, but it's a little out of the way.

Mike-  Yup, no heat down here in Nara either. Central heating is still really scarce in Japan. I've heard some very well to do people have it, but I've never been in a house that had it. Maybe more places in Tokyo though.  Stretching and warmnig up the fingers, hands, well whole body actually, before practice is a real necessity.

Happy blowing to everone in the cold!  Sorry Brian, you can't participate in this cold thread, you escaped to the land down under wink

#5 2009-02-03 01:11:37

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Welcome Sean,
I"m down in balmy Kumamoto.  I certainly wouldn't call today or even recent times cold here.  My one kerosene stove is adequate to heat my whole house comfortably. 
All the best with your journey and a repeat of Josh's invitation.  If you ever make it down to Kyushu, let's get together.  And don't worry about completely understanding everything your teacher might say.  As Perry suggests, the music will speak loudly.  I knew absolutely no Japanese when I started and I'm still here.  Persist.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#6 2009-02-03 06:08:45

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Welcome to the forum Sean,

Nice blog and photos.  Shikoku is also fairly warm though recently we've had colder weather than Tokyo.  The last few winters haven't been very cold here; we did have one dusting of snow a couple of weeks ago.  If you make it down to Shikoku give a holler; I'd be happy to get together for a practice.  Luckily I had a Japanese friend who translated for me when I first started shakuhachi as I spoke virtually no Japanese and the teacher didn't know any English; recently at a traditional Japanese music concert my sensei told the audience that I learned shakuhachi before I learned the Japanese language (what little I know of it...)

#7 2009-02-04 10:08:12

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

Perry- I don't know about Gifu but there is a big bamboo museum/park in Kyoto. It's a nice place to visit sometime, but it's a little out of the way.

Hi Josh!

I was in the bamboo forest in Kyoto around 2003. It was beautiful. I couldn't help but jump the barriers to get a better view. Here I am looking through Moso.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/kyotobamboo.jpg
I also walked though the park playing my shakuhachi. The sound felt soooo at home.

I also meandered through some great groves around the Philosopher's Path.

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2009-02-04 10:09:40)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2009-02-04 16:03:31

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I hardly ever think think of Kyoko while living here but pics do take me back. There is also the Botanical Garden in Kyoto where many varieties of bamboo grow. If you get a chance go to Daitokuji off Kitaoji street up north. There are many small temples on the grounds. If you walk straight in from the south entrance, go up about 150 yards on veer left. There's a temple that is surrounded by bamboo. You can sit on the veranda that runs around it and play shakuhachi ALL DAY. The sunlight coming through the bamboo canopy cast an eery glow over things and the sounds echo off the wooded veranda floor and the bamboo. It doesn't get much better. Except at the next place like this you find. There are so many there.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#9 2009-03-04 04:12:30

ssakamoto
Website

Hi everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome!

I will certainly look some of you up if I head south. I would really enjoy practicing with someone. I've only been at it since August, so I would love to hear another person's perspective. The same goes for any of you, if you find yourselves in Gifu, please look me up. I would be delighted to show you around my nice little castle town. Gifu is a beautiful prefecture.

I'm really enjoying this forum, by the way. I hope I meet some of you someday and hear you play. Perry, your story is especially inspiring. I can't believe I met you a decade ago in New York!

Michael, I'm going to Kyoto next week, I'll look for that temple. I won't play outside though, I'm just not there yet with my playing. I don't want to turn anyone off such a beautiful instrument with the sounds I make. smile

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

Board footer