Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-08 10:20:05

phillpsych

yet another lifetime

Hello everyone;
I am glad I was directed to this site. It has been excellent and informative, and is making my decision about which flute to begin with a lot less impulsive.
Years ago, in another lifetime, I bought a shakuhachi from a street vendor at the Tucson art fair. I knew nothing about it. I went to the library, took out a couple tapes, (tapes then...no cd's yet), and listened to the music a shakuhachi could make. Needless to say, it resonated deep within me, and I was hooked. It took me a long time to get that thing to play. I learned on my own, and just followed the music where it took me, no rhyme, reason or plan. That was then.

Several lifetimes later... I still remember that flute. It was left behind when I went into the service, and I began a very erratic period of learning and growing and making lots of mistakes.

So here I am again. I am looking for a flute, and I am narrowing down my search. I have a budget, but am willing to expand it a little. I have met a few people on line who are awesome, many on this forum. What an amazing community. My intention is to use the shakuhaci for personal meditation practice. I have no desire to go beyond that, but have learned in my life that the future is very... fluid... so I stay away from it as much as possible, and try not to get attached.

I have really enjoyed reading the postings on this site. I love the openess and honesty, the real caring, and the obvious love of the shakuhachi shared by the exerienced members. Your willingness to share and invite is very very welcoming. I hope to post more in the future, after I get my flute, and begin my practice.

Peace to you...

Phil

Vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit.

#2 2009-02-08 10:56:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: yet another lifetime

Hi Phil, Thanks for your kind introduction.

There is an undeniable power about a natural instrument made with careful, humble hands. Many fine shakuhachi have come through my shop for repair and/or evaluation along with simple, natural flutes. Oftentimes, natural flutes are not capable of playing shakuhachi music as taught by most teachers today, but they can do resonate in a special and unique way. Your memory of your Tucson flute and desire to play again today is evidence of that.

Welcome to the Forum!
Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2009-02-08 13:58:01)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-02-08 14:23:00

Dun Romin

Re: yet another lifetime

You've certainly introduced nicely, Phil, welcome to this club of shakuhachi addicts. smile Sometimes a bit vociferous, but all very nice peolple indeed.

Happy blowing!

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

Board footer