Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-11 22:19:16

evan kubota

New here

I've been vaguely familiar with the shakuhachi for some time but only considered learning it a few days ago. I tend to join forums for all my interests, apparently. I've attempted to make a 2.0 from PVC and I've gone from only being able to play Ro to being able to get a few notes (no fingers covered is still tough). The only instruments I've played are guitar, bass, and a little keyboard. Using my mouth and lungs is a totally new experience. Even from yesterday, when I felt dizzy after a few minutes, I think I feel my lung power improving...

I hope to order a basic level bamboo model within a week or so. I have no access to lessons here and this would primarily be for personal use and some recording.

#2 2006-04-12 10:46:45

John Roff

Re: New here

Hi Evan

Welcome! This forum is a tremendous resource, and I wish you well with your new shakuhachi adventures. You mention that you have no teacher - where are you?

I also have no teacher, living in South Africa. It is hard but good fun going alone, and makes the discovery of new techniques very fulfilling. Probably takes about 20 times as long as working with a teacher, but there we are.

Cheers

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

Board footer