Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-07-28 05:27:08

deia

Greetings from Bulgaria

Hello, everybody smile I'm Deia and I'm from Bulgaria (Eastern Europe). I came across this site while looking for more information about shakuhachi because I really want to get one and learn. I find its sound really beautiful and soothing... I have no experience whatsoever, so I'll need advice where to buy one smile Actually the first time I heard about shakhachi was in a book by David Zindell, The Broken God, so I decided to do some research...I know this sounds extremely ignorant but forgive me, I'm just starting to explore smile

#2 2009-07-28 05:56:47

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Re: Greetings from Bulgaria

Welcome and happy explorations! There are several. There should be more posts around on buying a nice student shakuhachi. You can search this forum for that. There are many places to get one, so it depends on which one you want to obtain.
I can recomend a shakuhachi Yuu, but it is my only experience, so I cannot compare. It is sturdy, capable of doing all stuff and has a good price.

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#3 2009-07-28 10:00:39

nyokai
shihan
Website

Welcome Deia!

Some suggestions on getting a student flute are available at http://nyokai.com/flutes.shtml

#4 2009-07-29 10:59:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Deia, Welcome to the forum!
Someone gave me a Kaval and I found that more difficult than the shakuhachi. If you can make a note on the Kaval, you can probably learn shakuhachi smile
Enjoy the research!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2009-07-30 01:36:13

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Deia,

Welcome to the forum; I second Bas's recommendation for a Yuu shakuhachi if you are just starting out as it is both easily affordable and closer to a bamboo flute in sound, weight, and appearance than other beginner models such as pvc pipes and machine made wooden flutes. Kaval... I'm procuring a Yuu this week for a kaval player visiting Japan who in his first shakuhachi lesson last week was able to get all the otsu notes (notes in the lower octave) and about half of the kan (higher) register.  I haven't yet reciprocated on the kaval.

#6 2009-07-30 09:52:37

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

...I'm procuring a Yuu this week for a kaval player visiting Japan who in his first shakuhachi lesson last week was able to get all the otsu notes (notes in the lower octave) and about half of the kan (higher) register.  I haven't yet reciprocated on the kaval.

Good luck!
I found it harder than a Turkish Ney.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer