World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-08-15 18:37:31

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Breathing

rmunk wrote:

I guess my understanding is wrong or using wrong word, "back pressure".  I've read that you must "hold the air in" as your exhaling to get an extended exhalation.  How?

Basically all this crazy talk is trying to explain how to breath slowly but with "support". I found this book on the web that has a pretty good explanation on page 62. http://books.google.com/books?id=WHAVL4 … mp;f=false

And really, if a teacher isn't an option for you for whatever reason, try the Riley Lee DVD. It's just a bit more than 15 dollars and the exercises will have you breathing like a champ in no time.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#27 2009-08-15 20:07:25

rmunk

I do have a teacher, Japanese and his way of teaching is the old Japanese way - watch and imitate with few words.  Same as in Martial Arts taught in Japan.  I appreciate all of the input and have been trying to not "think" so much about how it is done and just do.

#28 2009-08-16 00:29:18

radi0gnome
Website

rmunk wrote:

I do have a teacher, Japanese and his way of teaching is the old Japanese way - watch and imitate with few words.  Same as in Martial Arts taught in Japan.  I appreciate all of the input and have been trying to not "think" so much about how it is done and just do.

It's very difficult to teach anyway. After years of lessons from 4 different silver flute teachers I took voice lessons and thought the teacher was nuts and that what she was saying to do for breathing was physically impossible, she was saying to push out to expand my waist while exhaling but at the same time maintain good posture by not collapsing the chest. Some years later I realize that what she was suggesting may have been physically impossible, but it was a pretty good interpretation of the feeling of what is going on. That link I provided above mentions that the abdominals contract while the intercostals counter balance them.

Even if you intellectually can understand that stuff putting it to use is another task. That's where I think Riley Lee's DVD helps.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer