Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-16 01:50:58

Sarurun Kamui

Salvete from Oregon

Portland, more specifically. I could get more specific, but I won't.
Salvete is Latin for "greetings" in the plural, by the way.

I've been getting steadily more interested in the shakuhachi for the past year or so, and I discovered this forum while poking around a few weeks ago. I finally ordered a Shakuhachi Yuu recently and it arrived on Wednesday (three days ago, as of this posting), so yes, I am quite a beginner. I'm getting some sounds, and they're getting stronger, but they're still relatively weak. I'm not worried, though. I only find it odd that my strongest note is chi (otsu, I believe). Perhaps it's just my embouchure.

As far as musical background goes, I played piano for years as a small child, and then played flute for three years and band and then some when I entered high school. (I'm going into my junior year right now.) I've also taken several years of choir and I sing a lot in general. (Thank goodness for well-trained lungs...) How did a 16-year-old get so interested in shakuhachi? I suppose it's worth mentioning that I first discovered the instrument through a video game called Ôkami; the soundtrack features some shakuhachi, and there's a komuso character who pops up frequently, always with shakuhachi in hand. I've been fascinated by traditional Japanese culture and music for a few years now, but since I love playing wind instruments, the shakuhachi seemed like a neat thing to pursue. I look forward to watching my progress. It's certainly unlike any instrument I've tried to play. I haven't ever played an instrument that simultaneously plays you. A bit weird, maybe, but it helps me get into it. Practicing some tai chi beforehand helps me get into the mood and steady breathing rhythms as well.

I may not post terribly much in these next few days at least, but I will definitely be poking around. I'm looking into lessons and I have a basic book by Yoshinobu Taniguchi. Any tips on playing, reflections on life, what have you are appreciated. This seems like quite an intelligent crowd.

Call me Saru.

"The flowing brush is like music from the heavens."
-Ishaku, Celestial Brush

#2 2009-08-16 09:45:36

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Salvete from Oregon

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

I haven't ever played an instrument that simultaneously plays you. A bit weird, maybe, but it helps me get into it. Practicing some tai chi beforehand helps me get into the mood and steady breathing rhythms as well.

Welcome Saru, I think most instruments have the same quality but to a lesser degree, but yes,  it's one of the mysterious qualities that drew me to shakuhachi too.

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

I may not post terribly much in these next few days at least, but I will definitely be poking around. I'm looking into lessons and I have a basic book by Yoshinobu Taniguchi.

Well, if it's the Taniguchi book "How to Play the Shakuhachi: A guide to the Japanese Bamboo Flute" it's very good for having songs with good recordings to follow along with, but it's a little weak on the basic teaching side with only a very sparse set of beginner exercises. I like Tokuyama Takashi's "Take-no-Michi The Path of Bamboo: A Beginner's Guide to Learning Shakuhachi Honkyoku" for that. Since it sounds like they are in your near future, you might as well wait until you start taking lessons to see what materials your teacher suggests.

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

Any tips on playing, reflections on life, what have you are appreciated.

Regarding your age, I'd like to remind you that you have plenty of time to learn. I see so many people drop any musical aspirations after leaving school it's sad. I'm not sure whether it's because they didn't find it enjoyable or if it is a cultural influence that anything that you probably won't make money on professionally is a waste of time to work at. Nothing could be further from the truth and the hours most Americans spend watching TV would much better be spent making music. You have very good writing skills for 16, I'm looking forward to your posts and to get a perspective of how you see things musically.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2009-08-16 09:50:55

Kerry

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

(Thank goodness for well-trained lungs...) I haven't ever played an instrument that simultaneously plays you. Practicing some tai chi beforehand helps me get into the mood and steady breathing rhythms as well.

Welcome Saru,
You are well on your way smile

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#4 2009-08-16 11:21:59

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

I've been getting steadily more interested in the shakuhachi for the past year or so, and I discovered this forum while poking around a few weeks ago.

Call me Saru.

Welcome Saru.

In the west many are drawn to the shakuhachi later in life. I don't think it matters when we find it since every breath we blow is in the present. However, it's always exciting to greet someone who discovers shakuhachi in their teens! Welcome to the ride!

Ken

#5 2009-08-16 12:32:56

Sarurun Kamui

Thank you for the warm welcome!

radi0gnome wrote:

Well, if it's the Taniguchi book "How to Play the Shakuhachi: A guide to the Japanese Bamboo Flute" it's very good for having songs with good recordings to follow along with, but it's a little weak on the basic teaching side with only a very sparse set of beginner exercises. I like Tokuyama Takashi's "Take-no-Michi The Path of Bamboo: A Beginner's Guide to Learning Shakuhachi Honkyoku" for that. Since it sounds like they are in your near future, you might as well wait until you start taking lessons to see what materials your teacher suggests.

I was somewhat disappointed in the book's lack of insruction on how to play, but I've found so many demonstrations online that I don't mind much. The practice songs are nice, though, and it teaches how to read notation well.

radi0gnome wrote:

Regarding your age, I'd like to remind you that you have plenty of time to learn. I see so many people drop any musical aspirations after leaving school it's sad. I'm not sure whether it's because they didn't find it enjoyable or if it is a cultural influence that anything that you probably won't make money on professionally is a waste of time to work at. Nothing could be further from the truth and the hours most Americans spend watching TV would much better be spent making music. You have very good writing skills for 16, I'm looking forward to your posts and to get a perspective of how you see things musically.

I love music too thoroughly to do anything like that... I hope. However, I have no intention of going into professional music as a career. I prefer to keep it more as a hobby. (Perhaps not surprisingly, what I most want to go into is language.) I watch TV very rarely, and when I look at people who watch it all the time I think much the same thing...
I won't say I'm committed to the shakuhachi yet, since I've only just started, but I've stuck with the piano since I picked it up again last year and hopefully that inspiration will carry through. I could stand to allow more humility into the balance first, though...

Haha, I hope I'm not rubbing off as pretentious here. Again, thank you for the words.

-Ishaku, Celestial Brush

#6 2009-08-16 14:39:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

[

In the west many are drawn to the shakuhachi later in life. I don't think it matters when we find it since every breath we blow is in the present.

Very well said Ken.

Welcome to the forum Sarurun, it's great to have a young person joining the shakuhachi rollercoaster.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2009-08-16 17:23:41

mrwuwu

You know,  Tairaku,  no one has ever described the shakuhachi journey better than you in those two exact words.    Shakuhachi rollercoaster.     I've gone thru so many highs and low points in terms of lessons and practice,  trying to attain a  pure tone,   hating to practice and wanting to quit and then missing it the sound of the flute so much,  the joys of getting to know a song after weeks and weeks of practice,   and then struggling all over again in frustration with  the next one.    Wondering why I am spending so much of my time in practice when I could be doing so much other more enjoyable , fun, easy activities.    But I am still hanging in there because once you stop,    and pick up the shakuhachi  days later,  you realize , God,  it feels great to just blow and make those notes ring again.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#8 2009-08-16 17:27:06

mrwuwu

Oh, I almost forgot,   here's a free ticket for your rollercoaster ride,  Sarurun,   may it be a very long one.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#9 2009-08-16 18:22:52

Sarurun Kamui

Thank you. I'm going up the first hill slowly, and it's huge, but I'm excited for the big drop. Maybe some loop-the-loops as well, because they're fun. (Granted, they're bad for your brain, but oh well...)

-Ishaku, Celestial Brush

#10 2009-08-16 18:27:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

mrwuwu wrote:

You know,  Tairaku,  no one has ever described the shakuhachi journey better than you in those two exact words.    Shakuhachi rollercoaster.     I've gone thru so many highs and low points

Well get used to it..........it never ends! wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#11 2009-08-16 19:02:26

edosan
Edomologist

Sarurun Kamui wrote:

I could stand to allow more humility into the balance first, though...

Haha, I hope I'm not rubbing off as pretentious here.

The shakuhachi usually takes care of that quite nicely. And you sound like a pretty decent bloke to me smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer