Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-29 19:40:21

Todd Frederick

New to Shakuhachi

I am pleased to find this forum. I live probably 200 miles from a teacher and must rely on my own resources. I have played Native American Flute (improvised) for over 10 years and recently have been trying a side blow 5 hole flute.

I recently bought a very nice new 1.7 shakuhachi flute from a USA maker. I returned a 2.4 flute to him to make an exchange since the 2.4 length was just to long for me to handle.

Well, probably the most common problem is making a sound. Just in the last half hour I got very close, but I'm seeking advice on the holding angle, lip placement, lip shape, direction of breath flow, and, I do realize this could take months...:>)  I'm just getting the idea on the side-blow flute. The Native flute is a piece-of-cake! To blow, that is.

Anyway, that why I'm here...to learn to play this flute at it's basic level, and enjoy the chat.

Blessings, Todd

#2 2009-08-29 20:18:11

edosan
Edomologist

Re: New to Shakuhachi

Todd Frederick wrote:

Well, probably the most common problem is making a sound. Just in the last half hour I got very close, but I'm seeking advice on the holding angle, lip placement, lip shape, direction of breath flow, and, I do realize this could take months...:>)

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZlVXynkGes

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRS49JqD … re=related

Note that it's best, at least at first, to try these techniques with all the holes OPEN. When you start to get a sound you can control a bit, close hole five (on the back). Work with that a while, til you've got something, then close hole 4, work with it, then close 3, and so forth, til you've got 'em all closed. Getting a good tone with all holes closed can be difficult at first; much easier to do it 'backwards'. Take your time; try to blow some long, even tones (it won't be a piece of cake, at first).

Questions are welcome around here, of course, but there's a pretty good search engine (upper left nav) here, with a wealth of info in it. Try it out from time to time (if you have the time...smile).

Last edited by edosan (2009-08-29 20:19:41)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-08-29 22:14:21

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Todd Frederick wrote:

Well, probably the most common problem is making a sound. Just in the last half hour I got very close, but I'm seeking advice on the holding angle, lip placement, lip shape, direction of breath flow, and, I do realize this could take months...:>) ....
Blessings, Todd

Hi Todd, Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at Edosan's links. It just takes a few minuets to get a sound with the right placement and/or guidance (a reliable flute would help too).

Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.

Good advice Edosan!
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-08-30 11:11:39

Todd Frederick

Thank you for the links. Those led me to many more. I am a photographer from 1960's and I know how impatient one can become with a beginner's questions, so I appreciate your patience and helpfulness.

#5 2009-08-30 11:15:26

edosan
Edomologist

Yungflutes wrote:

It just takes a few minuets to get a sound with the right placement and/or guidance (a reliable flute would help too).

And it can be done with some jigs and reels, too, don't forget....

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer