Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-10 13:45:19

ABRAXAS

Bore Width and Hole Placement

I may be too optimistic expecting a concise ready-made answer to this question.

I've hit the search function and various free instructions online, but I've either missed it or didn't recognize the direct answer to this question:

At what point does bore width effect hole placement, how, and how is it calculated?

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#2 2009-09-10 14:11:20

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Bore Width and Hole Placement

ABRAXAS wrote:

I've hit the search function and various free instructions online, but I've either missed it or didn't recognize the direct answer to this question:

At what point does bore width effect hole placement, how, and how is it calculated?

[I know you're gonna hate this...smile, but you DID ask.]

Have you done any poking around in navaching.com?

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/magic.html

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/holesize.html

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/synthesis.html

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/register.html

Note: Not all of this is directly germaine to the relationship between bore size and hole placement. Some interpolation may be required.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-09-10 14:39:59

ABRAXAS

Yes! Thanks for reposting those. I need to actually print those out and scrutinize them until it overrides my mathtard limitations.

#4 2009-09-10 16:16:42

Taldaran

You are going to hate this answer, but a lot of it is developing intuition after making a few dozen of them...

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#5 2009-09-10 22:38:48

Karmajampa
Website

I have'nt noticed it makes much difference for hole placement, but it will influence the 'aspect ratio' and hence the overall balance of tone and volume through the octaves.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#6 2009-09-11 02:30:33

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Hole placement depends on hole size, but is almost independent of bore size. You can copy the hole sizes and placements of your favorite flute and they should be in the ballpark for any reasonable bore configuration.

Toby

#7 2009-09-11 11:34:50

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

In my experience, if you stay within the window of conventional bore sizes, it will have very little, if any,  noticeable effect on hole placement.

However, once the aspect ratio widens considerably I've had to make consistently similar adjustments on hole placement.

ABRAXAS wrote:

Now that's a head scratcher! big_smile

#8 2009-09-11 14:18:08

ABRAXAS

Ok, so basically earball it?

Yes, I was curious, even in general terms, at or around what bore width does it start to become a factor.

I'll see how it goes and post more questions as they arise.

#9 2009-09-11 14:19:22

ABRAXAS

Ps. thank you to everyone for the input.

Also, I may have picked up some initial comment about bore-width/hole placement and am assuming too much. I'll start poking holes in fat poles and see how it goes.

#10 2009-09-11 14:47:02

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

Ok, so basically earball it?

Yes, I was curious, even in general terms, at or around what bore width does it start to become a factor.

I'll see how it goes and post more questions as they arise.

Jim,

What I've experienced is that when I move to wider bore shakuhachi around 3.5 cm (interior diameter) or so at the top, changes need to be made to the hole locations. The first few holes (starting from the bottom) are pretty close to the hole locations found on conventional bore shakuhachi. The higher holes, especially hole four and five (thumb hole) need to be moved a little closer to the blowing end. Exactly at what width it becomes a factor is a matter of feel for me so I'm afraid I can't be helpful with a formula or a clearer road map.

These hole location differences are consistent with wide bore shakuhachi of Gudo Ishibashi.

#11 2009-09-11 14:55:45

ABRAXAS

Ken, Thank You!

This info is still good, at least I know its not as "precise" as I might be imagining beforehand, and that it doesn't become a factor until you are wrangling extremely wide-bore pieces of bamboo.

Thanks Again!

#12 2009-09-11 15:26:37

edosan
Edomologist

Mujitsu wrote:

What I've experienced is that when I move to wider bore shakuhachi around 3.5 cm (interior diameter) or so at the top, changes need to be made to the hole locations.

A quick Google search puts it at 3.4415926535897932384626434...give or take.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2009-09-11 18:20:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

Hi Jim,

I have noticed that on short flutes, especially shorter than 1.4, I need to stick to my formula precisely and with standard small holes - 10mm -11mm. But, once a flute goes longer than 2.4, I start to adjust the hole placements as I go along. If I stay with the same formula that I used on the 1.4 or shorter, the holes will most likely be flat, especially #4 and #5. On wider bore flutes above 2.4, I drill the holes as much a 1cm higher as I want larger holes and in tune. The distance between #4 and #3 starts to increase with the length.

A good way to really get a grip on this is to make two flutes side by side, one in a standard aspect ratio range and one just out of the range on the wide side.  Make the standard one first and see how well in tune it is with your formula. Once you are happy with the tuning, transfer the hole placemenst to the wide bore bamboo and see what happens.

Let us know your discoveries!
  - Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#14 2009-09-12 11:35:58

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thanks to the flute makers for chiming in on this thread. These are the conversations that will inspire new makers and development! I wanted to comment on what struck me while reading the variety of responses.

One of the things I love about shakuhachi making is that there are so many ways to go about it. Every maker is unique in the way he/she approaches this marriage of art and science. It's enjoyable to see these unique differences developed from honest, personal endeavor. What a mystery. And, what a fascinating way to practice being ourselves!

Ken

And Ed ~ Google! Now I know why I've been a little "off" all these years!

#15 2009-09-12 12:24:11

ABRAXAS

This is very interesting to hear so many different takes on something I expected to be along the lines of divide X by Y, Subtract A and drill here, here, and here.

Thanks Ken, Perry, Jon, Ed, and everyone for replying. I hope the discussion continues, it is very illuminating.

I'll post the results of my trials and errors, I still have to cobble a few tools together before I start digging in.

#16 2009-09-12 12:25:38

ABRAXAS

It is also fun because most of my flutes were made by Perry, Ken and Jon! wink

#17 2009-09-12 12:30:46

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

Thanks to the flute makers for chiming in on this thread. These are the conversations that will inspire new makers and development! I wanted to comment on what struck me while reading the variety of responses.

One of the things I love about shakuhachi making is that there are so many ways to go about it. Every maker is unique in the way he/she approaches this marriage of art and science. It's enjoyable to see these unique differences developed from honest, personal endeavor. What a mystery. And, what a fascinating way to practice being ourselves!

Ken

Nicely put Ken,

I just realized there is a discrepancy in what I previously wrote:

yungflutes wrote:

On wider bore flutes above 2.4, I drill the holes as much a 1cm higher as I want larger holes and in tune.

We know that enlarging a hole will sharpen the pitch. On long flutes with extremely wide bores, I often need to do both - raise the hole positions AND enlarge them. So finding the right placement for the desired hole size is a calculated yet intuitive process based on the individual piece of bamboo's response as the holes are drilled. Sometimes a hole is not raised much if a node membrane coincides with a resonance spot Otsu...Sometimes...smile

Kampai!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#18 2009-09-12 16:10:25

Karmajampa
Website

I get the feeling here that there is a relationship between bore width and hole width, though we, or Jim initially, approached this as a relationship between bore width and hole distance, ore placement. As Perry notes, he needs to make the hole closer because the pitch is usually flat, but perhaps that is because the hole is still only 10mm rather that say 15mm, which may well be in pitch, but too large for a finger to cover. So, the regular calculation for hole placement would work until the finger hole gets too big, then the adjustment has to be applied.
if there is anything in this, then as a bore narrowed the finger hole should also narrow, or moved further away from the top end.

I have a couple of 'clients' who have particularly narrow fingers that almost can't cover an 8mm hole, and also have relatively shorter fingers, This looks all the more interesting.

Now, what did ken say about hole size and placement on the Taimu's ? 

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#19 2009-09-12 17:25:34

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

I get the feeling here that there is a relationship between bore width and hole width, though we, or Jim initially, approached this as a relationship between bore width and hole distance, ore placement.

Kel,

It's my understanding that it is about both.

For example, I like to use the largest holes possible on wide bore shakuhachi. Sometimes
as much as 15mm x 13mm. Placed at the same location as a 10mm hole, it will of course
be sharper. That makes up for some of the sharpness needed. However, I find that even with
an extra large hole, it still needs to be placed closer to the blowing end to bring it up to pitch.
- Especially for the last few holes where it requires the most pitch adjustment.

For an exaggerated example, here is a photo of a one octave shakuhachi with an extremely
wide aspect ratio. The first hole (to the right) was drilled at the point for a conventional
aspect ratio shakuhachi. It was too flat to enlarge the hole up to pitch. More holes were drilled
until it was finally sharpened up to the correct pitch.

For me, this suggests that wider aspect ratio influences both hole location and size.

On extra wide bore shakuhachi it is the most obvious. On two octave wide bore shakuhachi
it is less exaggerated but still clear. On conventional aspect ratio shakuhachi it is minimal or
unnoticeable. 

Does this address some of what you are getting at or have I misunderstood?
(I can do that sometimes!) big_smile

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/fat2.JPG

#20 2009-09-12 18:56:24

Karmajampa
Website

Ken, yes, I can do that sometimes also !

However, i think we are in the same ballpark, though I have not made many lon or wide bore flutes, because I am only just approaching the blowing strength to actually play them.
so it is interesting to me to read your notes on your wide bore  models.

I like a 10.5 fingerhole to start with as it seems to me this gives a good initial volume, then I work from that depending on the tuning adjustment and tone adjustment I think the flute needs to balance it. My flutes are mainly between 1.6 and 2.3 and 20-25mm bbore at the top end.

And as you say not a lot of shifting from the normal calculations.

But it appears here to me that we may be looking at a fundamental equation, that as the bore widens, so the 'vibratory' relationship to the hole diameter becomes more apparent. You, or we, then need to raise the hole location to keep the pitch tuned, i.e. if the hole was 20-25mm dia. it may still be in pitch but obviously too large.

Also, when you mention your 'one octave' flute, I assume this is due to the aspect ratio being so far off the ideal for octave balance that the upper octaves are disregarded in these flutes.

There is probably more to add regarding nlarge bore bottom end diameters also.

A comment on my particular perspective when approaching my flute making.
I am blind and work solely by feel, sound and a talking tape measure. so, I can't relate to information in pictures, or looking down the bore, I visualize in my mind. But I think this may help me 'feel' what the potential of a flute may be. Strangely, I use this as an advantage, though probably regarded as a disadvantage.
I am always sticking my fingers into the ends of the flute and 'feeling the bore volume, and as I work the bore with my 'garibu' etc. I develop an image of the bore as a whole.
So, my perspective is perhaps different and this relationship discussed here regarding bore diameter and hole characteristics is actually becoming more relevant as the information grows.
That may explain why I am sometimes misunderstood, or don't respond directly to images presented.
Are we still on track ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#21 2009-09-13 12:06:20

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

But it appears here to me that we may be looking at a fundamental equation, that as the bore widens, so the 'vibratory' relationship to the hole diameter becomes more apparent. You, or we, then need to raise the hole location to keep the pitch tuned, i.e. if the hole was 20-25mm dia. it may still be in pitch but obviously too large.

Ah, interesting. I understand what you are saying. Yes, I would agree that as the bore widens, the hole is better off larger for pitch as well as tone reasons. With that in mind, if the need to move holes north is based only on a bore width to hole width relationship I can't really say for sure. When these brain teasers surface I often put them in the "whatever works" pile!

I may have brought this up before but I'm reminded of a visit to Tom Deaver when he showed me books full of meticulous frequency calculations. I was dumbfounded and asked him if it helped him make shakuhachi. He responded with a twinkle - "Not really but it's fun to see if science and feel turn out the same way."

Karmajampa wrote:

Also, when you mention your 'one octave' flute, I assume this is due to the aspect ratio being so far off the ideal for octave balance that the upper octaves are disregarded in these flutes.

Exactly.

Karmajampa wrote:

There is probably more to add regarding nlarge bore bottom end diameters also.

Yes. So many variables at work!

Karmajampa wrote:

A comment on my particular perspective when approaching my flute making.
I am blind and work solely by feel, sound and a talking tape measure. so, I can't relate to information in pictures, or looking down the bore, I visualize in my mind. But I think this may help me 'feel' what the potential of a flute may be. Strangely, I use this as an advantage, though probably regarded as a disadvantage.
I am always sticking my fingers into the ends of the flute and 'feeling the bore volume, and as I work the bore with my 'garibu' etc. I develop an image of the bore as a whole.
So, my perspective is perhaps different and this relationship discussed here regarding bore diameter and hole characteristics is actually becoming more relevant as the information grows.
That may explain why I am sometimes misunderstood, or don't respond directly to images presented.
Are we still on track ?

Very interesting Kel. More proof of the many different ways we are all wired when approaching a simple hollow stick with holes! We're on the same train!

#22 2009-09-29 04:13:42

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

There is a property of wind instruments called end correction, in which the actual length of the air column extends a certain length beyond an open side hole and thus the wavelength (and pitch) of the note is lowered from what it would be if the tube were simply cut off at the position of the hole. If you are into math here is the answer:

"The acoustical length for a particular note includes a portion which extends past the tone hole which primarily controls that note.  This is called the "open hole end correction"; it depends on a number of factors, including the diameter of the tone hole, the diameter of the bore, the distance to the next open hole, the thickness of the body wall, and the height of the pad over the hole.

If we use the symbol c for the open hole end correction, it can be calculated from:

c = (z/2) x [sqr(1 + (4/z)(t + hd)(D/d)²) -1]

where

d = diameter of tone hole in question
D = bore diameter at tone hole in question
z = distance to next open tone hole
t = depth of tone hole
h = a numerical factor accounting for the height of the pad over the hole;
      it can be taken as approximately 0.75 for an open hole with no pad,
      or 1.0 for a pad at average opening height "

This is for keyed woodwinds. For the shakuhachi you can leave off "h" since it is keyless, so the formula becomes:

c = (z/2) x [sqrt(1 + (4/z)(t )(D/d)²) -1]

or, more compactly, if we use Q to denote the square root,

c = (z/2) x (Q -1)

Continuing:

"This formula (adapted from Benade, Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics, 2nd ed., p. 450) is accurate enough to be useful as long as we stay in the low registers of the instrument's range.

If we make a proportionally small change in any of the above dimensions, we can calculate the effect on the open hole end correction, and hence the effect on the pitch of the note in question.

If we change the hole diameter (d) by a small amount, then:

(change in c) = - (change in d) x (D/d)² x (2t/d) / Q"

Speaking generally, a smaller hole increases end correction and plays flatter, and end correction is increased if the ratio of the hole diameter to the bore diameter is decreased. So when you increase the bore, you need to increase the hole diameter proportionally to maintain tuning. For example, if your bore is 20mm and your hole is 10mm and the tuning is correct, increasing the bore to 21mm would require increasing the hole diameter to 10.5mm to maintain tuning.

A much trickier point has to do with cutoff frequency, in which smaller holes reduce higher harmonics and reduce maximum sound output at high blowing pressures. In addition hole diameters are critical in the upper kan and dai-kan for achieving higher notes through cross-fingerings.

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2009-09-29 22:31:02)

Board footer