World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-13 18:42:21

Itamar Foguel
Website

Its great pleasure joining this forum

Hi, im Itamar and im from Israel.
Im very glad to be able to join this community since ive been lurking around for a lil while and seen how serious and creative things are around here.

I learned to play Classic side flute for about 8 years, back in school days. After school, over the last few years ive become more interested in folk and ethnic music in general (both listening and playing) and just jamming and improvising with friends and less into classic flute music. lately i met a guy named Ido who have been experimenting and learning how to craft all sorts of flutes out of bamboo (mostly by himself and with some tips from a local bamboo flute maker), mostly Bansuri and Nei but he also had a Shakuhachi that a friend from Switzerland made him.
after i heard that flute i got charmed by its sound and couldn't let go. i borrowed the flute and learned to play it (both the flute and the player were not so gr8 but it was fun smile
The idea of building my own shakuhachi
(and also some other bamboo flutes including experimenting and failing to build a good bamboo head replacement for my metal side flute but thats another topic i guess...)
totally took over me and i found myself staying up late every night and looking for info about Shakuhachi in general, Shakuhachi making and of course playing and listening to its amazing sound and both traditional and new music:)

I must admit that the task is difficult since im yet to find any Shakuhachi players and teachers in israel (only Nei and Bansuri).

So now i begun to try and build my own Shakuhachi (hope that will work) and also playing around with a flute from the Shakuhachi family that a friend just bought me on a trip in south Korea  - the root end Korean Tungso (which is a very pleasant instrument to play but again im kinda lost in the dark here other then jamming with it)

So There is a lot to discuss

sorry for the extra long intro, and if you feel like throwing me some guides and directions that would be great.
thanks

Nice meeting you all

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-13 20:29:57)

Board footer