Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-23 12:57:40

Vevolis
Website

Odd tip for flute mold and odor

I haven’t played the Shakuhachi in a number of months due to personal circumstances that would probably have been mended if I had kept playing the instrument in the first place. When I leave the flute in a plastic bag in its case, if left for 2-4 weeks, it tends to develop some mold. Humidity is decent during the summer and I no longer use a sponge; the cracks seem stable.

I placed a stick of cinnamon (gently) into the bore after noticing a “spice rope” my grandmother made many years ago, still very fragrant and has shown no signs of wear. I understand cinnamon oil contains antimicrobial properties, so I really didn’t have anything to loose.

Long story short, the stick of cinnamon has neutralized any strong odors, and is free from mold.

Also, I'm picking the flute up, again. It’s not something I ever wanted to sit on a back shelf and collect dust.

#2 2009-09-23 15:01:04

Matt Lyon

Re: Odd tip for flute mold and odor

I have a cheep digital hygrometer that I keep in the same room as my shakuhachi. I live in a dry climate and it lets me know if the humidity gets down around 20 so that I can take extra precautions. I have a case from Monty that I store my shakuhachi in and if it gets dry I put the flute in its bag then put it in the case and add humidity to the case and monitor it with the hygrometer. (paranoid I know but I sleep better)

If you find that the humidity is good in the room tho, you may want to let it air out a bit.

#3 2010-01-10 22:40:27

freak.zanjay

Re: Odd tip for flute mold and odor

Matt Lyon wrote:

I have a cheep digital hygrometer that I keep in the same room as my shakuhachi. I live in a dry climate and it lets me know if the humidity gets down around 20 so that I can take extra precautions. I have a case from Monty that I store my shakuhachi in and if it gets dry I put the flute in its bag then put it in the case and add humidity to the case and monitor it with the hygrometer. (paranoid I know but I sleep better)

If you find that the humidity is good in the room tho, you may want to let it air out a bit.

We know that we just sense the temperature variations, that not to assess our humidity levels. How could I say that? Because the exact means of measuring air humidity is a simply digital hygrometer. Basement Dehumidifier

Last edited by freak.zanjay (2010-01-10 22:41:30)

Board footer