• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi has cracked badly, need to keep it stable for over a week

#1 2009-12-24 10:10:45

Vevolis
Website

Shakuhachi has cracked badly, need to keep it stable for over a week

Hi all,

I think Perry is away during this holiday season, I usually contact him when I've got a problem. My refurbished 1.8 has a crack going from the base of the chin rest across from the Utaguchi to the joint... it's been bound several times including two inlays. It has a lot of tiny cracks that haven't impeded the playability. It's habitually opened and closed as I play it, then put it back into a box with a (very) damp sponge. I've been playing it a lot lately to keep it from getting moldy. I don't even put it in a tube case or travel anywhere with it anymore.

The main crack has again opened up, even with the moisture & I left it for two days without playing in the box, I took a look at it when I realized I couldn't hit a low ro through chi and there is a crack going down the bottom half of the instrument, nearly 3/4 of the length. It is not bound down there, nor has it ever been a problem before.

I want to send it out early, early, early in the new year for... i don't even know. Repairs?! Scrap?! How can I keep it safe until then? I don't know the humidity level in my box, but there is slight condensation on the roof, so i'd imagine enough... do i wrap it in a wet towel and change it everyday to prevent mold???

Thank you,

Scott

#2 2009-12-24 11:15:28

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Shakuhachi has cracked badly, need to keep it stable for over a week

Vevolis wrote:

Hi all,

I think Perry is away during this holiday season, I usually contact him when I've got a problem. My refurbished 1.8 has a crack going from the base of the chin rest across from the Utaguchi to the joint... it's been bound several times including two inlays. It has a lot of tiny cracks that haven't impeded the playability. It's habitually opened and closed as I play it, then put it back into a box with a (very) damp sponge. I've been playing it a lot lately to keep it from getting moldy. I don't even put it in a tube case or travel anywhere with it anymore.

The main crack has again opened up, even with the moisture & I left it for two days without playing in the box, I took a look at it when I realized I couldn't hit a low ro through chi and there is a crack going down the bottom half of the instrument, nearly 3/4 of the length. It is not bound down there, nor has it ever been a problem before.

I want to send it out early, early, early in the new year for... i don't even know. Repairs?! Scrap?! How can I keep it safe until then? I don't know the humidity level in my box, but there is slight condensation on the roof, so i'd imagine enough... do i wrap it in a wet towel and change it everyday to prevent mold???

Thank you,

Scott

Scott,

It will likely be fine if you place it in a sealed plastic bag along with a wet tissue or small rag. No need to wrap the flute with the rag. It doesn't need to touch the bamboo. All you need is a little humidity to keep the cracks in check. You might still want to check it occasionally for mold.

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi has cracked badly, need to keep it stable for over a week

Board footer