Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-31 06:06:54

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Kodama in Spain April 2010

Passing on this message to the forum:

I'm glad to announce the visit of (Kodama Hiroyuki) to Chiku Za in
Spain this comming spring. Most probably dates are April 1st to 18th.
Kodama is a great hotchiku player and maker, disciple of Okuda Atsuya
and Murai Eigoro.
There will be concerts and hochiku playing lessons. We are organizing
a koden honkyoku masterclass, and a 2 days hochiku making workshop if
there are enough people interested.
More detailed information will follow. But we need your feedback as
soon as possible, we could still change the program depending on demands.

People interested please email, including:

Name, adress, email etc
Shakuhachi experience (level, school, etc)
Interest in playing lessons, making workshop, and/or master class.
Special interest on any particular honkyoku?
Best possible dates for you to come to Madrid (from 2 to 18 April)

All the best

Jose Vargas
josevargaszuniga@gmail.com

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2009-12-31 20:24:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Kodama in Spain April 2010

That might be a good launching point for Christopher B's European shakuhachi odyssey.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-12-31 22:10:42

Christopher B.
Website

Yeah thats really a good point but I think April will be not a good month for me to travel cause I have to start working then again to get some money back. I will try my best to get some extra money in April tongue

But I am looking forward to meet alot of people and have alot of extra "Shakuhachi-Practice" in 2010.

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#4 2010-01-10 11:39:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Forwarding more info about Chiku Za or Kodama due to his visit in Spain this spring:

Chiku Za  (Kodama Hiroyuki)

Among the traditional Japanese bamboo flutes known as shakuhachi, the hotchiku flutes are constructed with minimal work out of bamboo, and without any other material, they have a deep natural sound and are difficult instruments to master. 

Kodama Hiroyuki is devoted to hotchiku.  He became a disciple of Okuda Atsuya sensei in 1989 and he follows his teacher's affinity for long breathing and enormous dynamics (from whispering to very strong, almost percussive sounds), and a wide
repertory that includes different versions of many songs which originate from different schools, but always in the koten honkyoku, the repertory of the komuso monks.

In 1991 he began jinashi shakuhachi making study with Murai Eigoro sensei.

He adopted the name Chiku Za in 2001, and started to perform in public.

Kodama now lives in the mountains of Nagano, where he harvest bamboo, make beautiful hotchiku and work in his search of pure sound.  For him, hotchiku is not only a kind of shakuhachi. Hotchiku is a way of living, involving spirituality, breath development and playing technique.

In his own words:

As for my name Chiku Za; chiku means bamboo (as chiku in hotchiku) and za means sitting (which also forms a part of the word zazen [sitting meditation]).

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/ChikuZa1.jpg

The Chinese character of Za is built with two characters of Person over the character of Earth.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/Chikuza2.jpg

This character makes me imagine that people are ploughing earth, and also having a rest together on Mother Earth. Human beings, as well as all other creatures in existence, can not maintain life without the blessings of the nature. Everything that exists goes ultimately back to earth. Being with nature, being with people, I'd like to pass the beautiful Earth
to the next generation: This wish made me name myself Chiku Za.

Shakuhachi is a musical instrument whose power of expression and application is enormous. It has been used in all kind of musical environments and loved by all kinds of people.

However, if you'd like to enjoy the real pleasure of shakuhachi essence, I recommend you to listen to koten honkyoku. Shakuhachi music which was greatly influenced by Zen has taught us the importance of concentration on your own breathing itself, which is previous to sound. This is more important than the sound itself.

We don't say ‘to play shakuhachi’,  but say  ‘to put the breath into take’(inhalation, exhalation and the state of non-breath): this control and harmony of breathing reveals one world of sounds, which is a mixture of sound and silence, musical sound and noise and all kinds of vibrations.

For me hotchiku is not only the name of an instrument. It is not a different name for shakuhachi, either. Hotchiku, means sound through a bamboo, and also spirituality, technique, and breathing.

Chiku Za

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer