Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2010-01-04 01:16:46

ABRAXAS

Re: Henry Cowell

edosan wrote:

Varese looks like he's listening attentively, like a good chap, and I'm not sure the man was totally comfortable with any experience, based on
his music  smile

[Fun fact: Edgard Varese was Frank Zappa's favorite composer, bar none, and Zappa aspired to be as accomplished as Varese was.]

There are a few great anecdotes in Zappa's autobiography about his efforts to hook up with Varese. To the end of his life one of his prized possessions was a postcard he got from Varese that he kept framed in his studio.

...I can relate, I have a Christmas card I got from Frank Zappa that is one of my most prized posessions! wink

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#27 2010-01-04 10:01:32

Tono

Wow, how'd you get that?

#28 2010-01-04 14:31:17

ABRAXAS

When I was about 15-16 when he started Barking Pumpkin Records, I read in an interview that he was literally running it out of his house, so I called the number and left a LONG message on his answering machine raving about what I liked about his music (nothing about "funny lyrics"). They basically put me on their mailing list for life, then the next Christmas I got a card from him. 

I guess he liked what I said. wink

I'm also glad I got to see him perform live when he was still in action.

Ps. one of the first "melodies" I figured out on my own with a shakuhachi was "Sofa #2."

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2010-01-04 14:33:16)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#29 2010-01-04 17:07:31

edosan
Edomologist

Here's a link I found for a page featuring a 'Musical Autobiography' narrated by Henry Cowell himself.

The audio player is just to the right side of the page, with three tracks, totalling 80-90 minutes. I've listened to just the first
few minutes of the first track, and it sounds very promising, indeed, containing music as well as Cowell talking about his life
and musical influences. It looks embeddable, but I'm a bit nervous about doing that here.

Here's the link (I'm sure it's all downloadable as well, for those so inclined. Unfortunately, The Universal Flute is not
included, but it's a very interesting program.):

http://www.archive.org/details/HenryCowell

Also, there are many of Mr. Cowell's pieces on YouTube, to more or less good effect. Amazing fella.

Last edited by edosan (2010-01-04 18:33:15)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#30 2010-01-04 19:30:39

Tono

That's very cool, Abraxas.  What did Frank write for Xmas anyways?  My sister-in-law was a teen runaway when she stayed at his cabin in the 70's.  I only heard him perform at that time; memorably "The Illinois Enema Bandit" at the large flying saucer-shaped assembly hall in Urbana, IL, based on the true crime story of some perv who forced enemas on U of I college girls.  Weird, that and Terry Bozzio wearing a devil's mask while drumming, and Frank pointing to several audience members and calling each an asshole.  Great guitar playing.  Don't think he ever used the shakuhachi, though...

Last edited by Tono (2010-01-04 19:31:58)

#31 2010-01-04 19:55:26

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Since everybody's into Zappa I thought I'd share this article about a performance that will be in my MONA FOMA festival soon.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ar … 5815113757

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer