Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-11 15:54:03

the-pupil

Greetings from Holland

Hi there people,

I found this site a while ago and got some info from it. But since i'm stuck and really like to know how to play the shakuhachi and know more about it, I thought it would be nice to make a profile and introduce myself.

My name is Luuk and i'm living in the south part of Holland. I'm a student in Social Studies and fond martial art practitioner (Pencak Silat). I love music and different cultures and people. I play the didgeridoo sometimes but i wanted to try something with more ridm and medoly in it. It had to be authentic so the shakuhachi popped up wink.
I already listened to the (kind of) flute when playing some meditation sounds. So now it's time to start learning.

I made 2 PVC type of Shakuhachi but i'm not sure if worked out well.. The sound just isn't there.

Well, we'll see what happens after several hours of practicing.

Ciao, Luuk

#2 2010-03-11 16:26:42

Dun Romin

Re: Greetings from Holland

Hi Luuk, I defenitely like to welcome a collegue Dutchman, shakuhachiplayer and Pencak Silat practisioner to this Forum of shakuhachi-addicts. Enjoy.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#3 2010-03-11 17:07:32

the-pupil

Thank you Dun Romin, the same goes for me.
I know your from Groningen, so that's hard to travel to. Do you know any practitioners in the south of Holland? Because for me it's impossible to travel to Amsterdam etc just for a lesson or tips for shakuhachi.

#4 2010-03-12 14:39:24

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Welkom Luuk! Good luck with your first steps. You can conact Kaito (kaito.nl) to ask Kees, he might know more practioners in the south. I can recommend online lessons as a good way to start (and continue)

greetings,

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#5 2010-03-14 16:52:56

the-pupil

thanks bas for your words. I'll contact Kees and ask him about some practitioners here in the south of Holland. And hope to learn the humble basics of shakuhachi.

PS it's funny but how come the picture of a pupil showed up as my personal image?? I didn't adjust any picture haha.

#6 2010-03-14 18:21:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

the-pupil wrote:

PS it's funny but how come the picture of a pupil showed up as my personal image?? I didn't adjust any picture haha.

We have installed software that automatically gives avatars to people based upon their names. I guess it decided a "pupil" was a good idea.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2010-03-14 18:30:29

baian

so that's where mine came from , thanks.
i'll keep it if i may.

#8 2010-03-14 18:39:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

baian wrote:

so that's where mine came from , thanks.
i'll keep it if i may.

I will inform the spambot that you like its taste in avatars. wink

#9 2010-03-14 18:42:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

the-pupil wrote:

Because for me it's impossible to travel to Amsterdam etc just for a lesson or tips for shakuhachi.

Impossible? Man has gone to the moon, so a trip to Amsterdam is probably "possible".

#10 2010-03-14 19:52:17

the-pupil

Tairaku wrote:

the-pupil wrote:

Because for me it's impossible to travel to Amsterdam etc just for a lesson or tips for shakuhachi.

Impossible? Man has gone to the moon, so a trip to Amsterdam is probably "possible".

OK not impossible, i'm sure there will be something closer to my home. I don't need a teacher, just someone who can play shakuhachi. After that i'll see in what level i'd like to play shakuhachi, since my martial art, jogging, study and work consumes most of my time.

Ofcourse this all can change, but first i need a good view and the beginnings of shakuhachi

#11 2010-03-14 22:59:30

edosan
Edomologist

the-pupil wrote:

Ofcourse this all can change, but first i need a good view and the beginnings of shakuhachi

And for that, a few lessons with the right person will give you the best start. Finding someone who 'knows how to play shakuhachi'
and watching them ain't gonna cut it. Might as well find a teacher--be a much better use of your time.

Your resistance to lessons, it should be noted, is fairly typical of new members to this forum. Some continue go it alone, and
may even make a bit of progress (and when they finally do succumb to a teacher almost always have to spend a fair amount of
that valuable time unlearning all the wrong things they managed to 'teach' themselves).

As soon as you experience a decent teacher, you will change your tune. Note that you don't have to move in with the teacher;
you don't even have to take a big pile of lessons to benefit from them.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2010-03-14 23:14:48

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Man I'd love to go to Amsterdam, jam at the Bimhuis, eat some fresh herring, look at some art from a dude with one ear and visit one of them there "coffee houses". wink

#13 2010-03-15 04:53:35

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Ha ha, yeah Amsterdam has some nice things to offer smile I absolutely concur with Edosan, lesson do really help, even with deciding what and on wich level you want to play.
I started with monthly lessons and now have more frequent online lessons.
And one thing: lessons can be inspiring as well.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#14 2010-03-15 10:09:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Man I'd love to go to Amsterdam, jam at the Bimhuis, eat some fresh herring, look at some art from a dude with one ear and visit one of them there "coffee houses".

Hah yes, but the thing is, pupil won't find a shakuhachi teacher there. Try Leiden. Maybe Roel de Graaf, Berg en Dal, Nijmegen.

Kees, correct me if I'm wrong but Netherlands is a tiny country? With a fantastic public transport system? So wherever pupil lives and wherever the teacher is, it's not a major task to get to the lessons?

#15 2010-03-15 12:20:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

Tairaku, no need to correct you 'cos you're right.
But to be specific, to get from the southernmost part of the country to Kees Kort takes three hours one way and the return trip would be more expensive than a Skype lesson with Chikuzen or Nyogetsu.
So.... like Bas, who lives up north, suggests and does himself, internet is a fine alternative.

Ciao
K

I thought you guys are famous for being flat and loving bicycles? How 'bout riding to the lesson? That's free!

I ride to my lessons on this jinashi.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/boobikesmiling.jpg

#16 2010-03-15 12:25:35

the-pupil

riding would be nice. I prefer walking.
I'd just like to ask to Kees (the emails i send keep coming back with a failure message) if he knows people in Limburg. For now i can't afford lessons. perhaps next month i don't know.. 
Thanks for you're help so far.

#17 2010-03-15 13:37:10

edosan
Edomologist

the-pupil wrote:

riding would be nice. I prefer walking.
I'd just like to ask to Kees (the emails i send keep coming back with a failure message) if he knows people in Limburg. For now i can't afford lessons. perhaps next month i don't know.. 
Thanks for you're help so far.

Don't know what email addy you're using for Kees. If it's not this one: kees@shakuhachi.nl  Try it.

Here's another:   kees@kaito-fuket.demon.nl

And as a last resort: kees-kort@hicksmorley.com (don't know if this is the same Kees Kort)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer