Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-26 04:03:35

Ambi

Excellent Blog

http://shakuhachistuff.blogspot.com/

I've only found a couple of references to this site, Brian fired up the whole Jinashi debate with some quotes from here fairly recently though.
It's an excellent collection of information and great links to recordings, I'm just listening to:

B-1 Shakuhachi trio (four movements; 1, 2, 3, and 4)
Shakuhachi: Aoki Reibo, Miyata kohachiro, Yokoyama Katsuya

More good stuff on this site than you can shake a stick at, and more IS being added so revisit.

KM, who ever you are, thank you.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#2 2010-03-26 04:10:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Excellent Blog

I like this part:

"Miura Kindo-san played honkyoku well in kinko-ryu. He was a brother of Miura Kinnosuke who was the jiinokami (servant?) of the meiji tenno emperor. I visited to comfort him after the Great Kanto Earthquake occurred (in 1923) and found him still making shakuhachi including larger bore size flutes. I asked him if kinko people also play such sizes of shakuhachi. He answered, "honkyoku needs to be played on bigger bore flutes." Now kinko shakuhachi are much narrower. I wonder if many people today hope to have Miura Kindo's shakuhachi, cause someone said "if you find Miura Kondo shakuhachi, let me know. I would buy it for 300000 yen."

Funny that 300000 yen is an example of a really expensive tube.

Well I have a Kindo and to me the bore is not really large. Perhaps he made other really large bore instruments. I'd love to see that. Interesting that he said honkyoku needs to be played on bigger bore flutes, because that's also what I think.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-03-26 12:09:44

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

3,000,000 Yen would be more like it.  I saw a wider-bore, bound Kindo a year or two ago for $15,000.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2010-03-26 16:06:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

3,000,000 Yen would be more like it.  I saw a wider-bore, bound Kindo a year or two ago for $15,000.

How wide? Are you talking about the one PH was selling? To me that is not super wide. Presumably Kindo would have seen really huge flutes, wonder what he meant by large bore.

#5 2010-03-26 16:20:48

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

How wide? Are you talking about the one PH was selling? To me that is not super wide. Presumably Kindo would have seen really huge flutes, wonder what he meant by large bore.

PH, yes. It wasn't _super wide_.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2010-03-26 16:49:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Maybe that is what Kindo meant by wide, though. It's interesting that he seems to imply that you use a different flute for honkyoku than for gaikyoku.

JS just got a Kindo he says is the best ever and appears to be a bona fide wide bore one, because length is 1.8 and pitch is low. I am looking forward to trying that.

#7 2010-03-26 20:44:21

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Maybe that is what Kindo meant by wide, though. It's interesting that he seems to imply that you use a different flute for honkyoku than for gaikyoku.

JS just got a Kindo he says is the best ever and appears to be a bona fide wide bore one, because length is 1.8 and pitch is low. I am looking forward to trying that.

I heard the flute auditioned as someone's primary 1.8 with their teacher present, so I know the pitch was D. I tried the flute and didn't find it really wide, but it was wider than standard kinko flutes. I also remembering not liking it as well as the Chikuho that was also being auditioned. The Kindo was pretty amazing. Very versatile. I heard traditional and modern styles demo-ed on it and it adapted perfectly. The Chikuho was a little less flexible in that respect, same player and music. I compared notes on the two with the person who bought the Chikuho, and I characterized the Chikuho as playing with a more distinct "Japanese accent." The Kindo had an ephemeral quality. More chameleon-like. I wish I had more experience to really size them up.

One of the reasons I think I preferred the Chikuho is that I have a rather small mouth and the utaguchi inside-diameter on the Kindo was definitely wider than the Chikuho. I lose my embrouchure from muscle fatigue with wider mouthed flutes.

--How low is the pitch on the JS Kindo?

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-03-26 20:49:55)

#8 2010-03-26 21:34:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chiluho was also 1.8? Which flute is that? Do I know it?

#9 2010-03-27 13:34:29

Moran from Planet X
Website

Dark and mottled, upturned root. I think it was a 6-node.

#10 2010-03-27 23:34:04

mrwuwu

Hey!  CM,  when you are speaking to BR, yes, on a public forum,  do we assume PH is really PH and JS is the JS we know it must be?      CM posting a reply to CM and BR's semi-secret inferences to PH and JS.   Pontius pHilates? and JeSus?   smile

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#11 2010-03-27 23:52:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

mrwuwu wrote:

do we assume PH is really PH and JS is the JS we know it must be?    Pontius pHilates? and JeSus?   smile

Some still seek Him!

#12 2010-03-28 01:05:51

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Some still seek Him!

While others contemplate that He is nowhere to be found.

#13 2010-03-28 01:46:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

He exists but just won't prove His existence by making a CD. This is a test of our faith.

Board footer