Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-05-10 14:30:39

cayoo

Greetings from Bordeaux, FR

Hi you all (Hail should I say)

I've been browsing this forum for quite a few weeks now, looking for hints and tricks on how to build a shakuhachi and it seems ot be THE exact place where to look for clues.

I discovered shakuhachi a few months ago and just felt that I had to build one (or at least try to), so here I am.

I'm a computer "science" trainer, guitar player, flintknapper but certainly NOT a shakuhachi maker nor player, so I may not be able to contribute much to this forum, unless asking questions and posting pics of my trials and errors on would-be shakuhachi is considered contributing smile

I discovered a mini Madake-bamboo jungle near the place where I live: plenty of material for training my skills on it.
Since I'm starting from zero, I thought that it might be interesting to start a photo diary of the making-off of my first shakuhachi: this way, maybe the crafted members of this forum may correct my mistakes, and next to come apprentices will not make them. Call it an un-experience sharing.

Thanks to all of you.

Stephane

#2 2010-05-10 14:55:02

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Greetings from Bordeaux, FR

cayoo wrote:

I'm a computer "science" trainer, guitar player, flintknapper but certainly NOT a shakuhachi maker nor player, so I may not be able to contribute much to this forum,...

Heck, that never stopped the rest of us smile

Seriously, don't downplay the little discoveries you make early on. They could be helpful to others just starting out and wouldn't be discussed otherwise because they seem like common knowledge to more experienced maker/players.

Welcome to the forum!

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2010-05-13 10:36:44

cayoo

Many thanks, radi0gnome...

I posted pics of my first attemps in the flutemaking section, hoping it'll help someone.... and be helped too, to be honest smile

#4 2010-05-13 13:19:29

marek
Website

Hi,

there are several teachers in France, please check out the European shakuhachi society website www.shakuhachisociety.eu

There are also several summer courses suited even for beginners.

Cheers, Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#5 2010-05-13 15:49:41

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Bienvenue Stéphane !

Tu trouveras ici, dans la colonne de droite, quelques liens sur la communauté française du shakuhachi (école Tozan, Véronique Piron, Daniel Lifermann...)

À bientôt !

Jean-François

#6 2010-05-13 16:47:03

Taldaran

Welcome!

I started by building my first shakuhachi out of PVC to find out how to even see if I could.

Now I'm hooked! I have crafted dozens of rootend jinashi, and am beginning to build my first 2 piece jiari.

You'll love it here and learn much!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

Board footer