World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-06-08 20:16:54

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

I would like to add the name of Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin here.

Ronnie has done so much for shakuhachi. For me he was there each day, whether he was sick, in pain or even fresh out of rehabilitation from his near death experience. Ronnie is someone that pushes forward through the worst of it and doesn't complain. He's dedicated to his many students and doesn't think twice about helping out others in need. Right now he's teaching all of Phil Nyokai James' students while Phil recovers.

Here are some his achievements and contributions:

Was the first full-time Shakuhachi player and teacher in the Western Hemisphere after having returned from his studies with Kurahashi Yodo I in Japan, 1975 .

The Kinko-Ryu Shakuhachi Living National Treasure Aoki Reibo referred to Nyogetsu as the Iemoto (current head master of a certain school of traditional Japanese art) of the USA and awarded him with his Dai Shihan (Grand Master's License), at the 9th Level (Kyu-Dan), with the name Reishin. This was an honor never before achieved by a foreigner.

The first to teach remote lessons via cassettes over 30 years ago and in recent years has adapted to the modern age of CDs and the internet.

Hosted The 2004 Big Apple Shakuhachi Festival in New York City which had the first-ever concert of international women shakuhachi masters.

Has taught over 1,000 students and has had at least 80 students for over 3 decades at 5 locations on the East Coast in addition to 'cyber' students, which includes individuals from 6 foreign countries and 26 states. (For perspective this is easily double or triple the amount of students most people attempt to teach.)

Broke down a number of color barriers which were preventing non-Japanese from performing traditional Japanese music thus making the road smoother for others to come.

Has been the only American shakuhachi player asked to perform in all of the International Shakuhachi Festivals and has done so each time.

Was Oscar and Grammy nominated, having about 30 recordings out on the market (including CDs, DVDs, Cassettes, one LP, and one Book).

Has a legacy of mago-deshi (This means 'students of students', which includes all of the students of James Nyoraku Schleffer, Stan Kakudo Richardson, Phil Nyokai James, Phil Gelb, etc.).

One could go on and on with Ronnie's achievements and contributions but I feel it is his impact on his students that is of the most importance. Ronnie, to me, is a sincere player and teacher. For many, Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin is, indeed, America's Shakuhachi Living National Treasure.

I wouldn't be where I am today with him, both with my shakuhachi crafting business and as a full-time shakuhachi teacher.

Thank you Ronnie

Last edited by Jon Kypros (2024-03-30 18:18:16)

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#2 2010-06-08 21:26:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

Hi Jon,

Good nomination and well deserved! Ronnie has done all that and more. Certainly the vector for a lot of shakuhachi dispersion in the West and beyond.

Jon Kypros wrote:

Broke down a number of “color barriers” which were preventing non-Japanese from performing traditional Japanese music thus making the road smoother for others to come.

Yes indeed he has made it acceptable to be pink and play the shakuhachi! Rock on Ronnie!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-06-09 06:40:51

Dun Romin

Re: Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

And last but not least don't forget that in doing this all he remained a very amiable person.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

Board footer