Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-08-31 13:01:15

Derek Van Choice
Website

Silicone Tape for Delicate Repairs

Many years ago, a buddy gave me a roll of this strange, military, silicone tape.  There's no adhesive to it, but it sticks to itself when overlapped.  All I got was a few feet of it, and have used it very judiciously over the years for shakuhachi making, primarily for protecting the bamboo in certain areas where more aggressive work is being done, i.e. shaping the root-end, channeling for inlaid bindings, etc.

Masking tape is the norm, but if a saw or file slips it can cut right through it and mar the surface.  This tape is a thin but very strong silicone with tremendous tensile strength and gives volumes more protection for sensitive areas than masking tape, "just in case".  What I was given has a thin green stripe running down the center, and tapers slightly to each edge, but I have been unable to find that exact material.  However, "Rescue Tape" appears to be the same, or very similar, composition, wrapping, etc.  It can be cut into thinner strips, if needed.

It's a great thing to have within easy reach of the workbench.  Just thought I'd share the love.

http://www.rescuetape.com/

#2 2010-08-31 18:46:00

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Silicone Tape for Delicate Repairs

Good stuff indeed. We used it a lot on my Air Force EOD team where adhesives were prohibited.

Much cheaper at Amazon for the same stuff. Even cheaper than that on eBay.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-08-31 23:40:40

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Silicone Tape for Delicate Repairs

Derek Van Choice wrote:

Many years ago, a buddy gave me a roll of this strange, military, silicone tape.

Obviously reverse engineered from UFO debris the military found at the Roswell New Mexico crash site in 1947.

Just like Velcro™, fiber optics and Veg-O-Matics.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread59682/pg1

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer