You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-07 09:05:47

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Teaching in NYC,Syracuse,Wash.D.C.,Philly, Rochester, and "online"

Hi Everybody,

In honor of the opening of my new DOJO in Syracuse , NY (at HOEN-JI Rinzai Zen Monastery), I would like to re-introduce myself to those who don't know me in the ever-enlarging World Shakuhachi Community.

I was the only "full-time" Shakuhachi teacher in the USA when I returned from studying in Kyoto, Japan in 1975. I presently hold 2 Dai Shihan (Grand Master) Licenses (one from Kurahashi Yodo I, and one from Aoki Reibo- Kinko-Ryu Living National Treasure), and have received 2 GEMEI (professional names) -Nyogetsu and Reishin from my teachers.

Prior to internet days, I would teach "remote" students via "cassette" lessons. I began to teach in this manner over 30 years ago. For the past 20 years, I have, with the help of a student, developed and used a very simple, free system involving a soft-ware called AUDACITY and my <mobile.me> server for teaching distant students. I can use SKYPE as well, but I prefer the Audacity/mobile.me system for a number of reasons. In any case this has allowed me to have approximately 60 remote students in 5 Foreign Countries and 26 states. If you go to this page on my website <http://www.nyogetsu.com/events.html> and scroll to the bottom paragraph, there is an explanation of how to study with me online.

While my studio on Riverside Drive in NYC is my primary teaching location, I go to all of the other locations that I have mentioned above, to teach face-to-face with students.

I look forward to hearing from any of you who would like to work with me <nyogetsu@gmail.com>!
Keep on playing..

Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin
(I also have been selling the world's largest Shakuhachi collection online - owned by someone else- for the past 20 years.)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#2 2011-02-05 13:41:59

steven weiss

Re: Teaching in NYC,Syracuse,Wash.D.C.,Philly, Rochester, and "online"

hello-
your post mentioned new york city.  are you coming here to teach at times.  i am total beginner to shakuhachi... have purchased a 1.8 D student one, and am at the stage where i can barely make sounds and have to take care not to hyperventilate!  i am a musician otherwise who has studied, played and performed for most of my life though, so i hope that means that i will be blessed by a steep learning curve with the shakuhachi, although i humbly appreciate what an incredibly complex (yet simple) instrument it is.
if you do not teach in new york city, can you recommend someone whom you respect?
blessings,
steven

#3 2011-02-05 13:45:49

steven weiss

i apologize- having fully read your post, i now realize that you reside primarily in new york and teach from riverside drive.  i live in brooklyn heights and work in chelsea on w 21st street. 
are you willing to accept a beginning student?  what do you charge?  how do we proceed?
regards, and again apologizing for my hasty reply to your post before i had read it completely!
steven weiss
718-858-1585 (home number)

#4 2015-01-11 02:22:18

David Naess
Website

Howdy Ronnie!

You need to get your name out there a bit...

Living in Rochester NY, I've done a bit of independent scouting for possible local teachers.

I asked the Rochester Zen Center about Sui Zen, they couldn't help. The response that I got was that "they primarily did sittings."

I also contacted the Eastman School of Music for references and the only name that they could come up with is Mitzie Collins, an adjunct faculty member best known for hammered dulcimer and other folk instruments.

It seems like nobody in this city appears to know anything about the shakuhachi!

Last edited by David Naess (2015-01-11 19:21:24)

HowdyDave
Rochester, NY

#5 2015-03-29 10:04:07

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Steven,

I totally apologize for not replying to your posts!  And it seems that the last one was in January!

I have been neglectful about checking this forum.

If I can stll help you with you Shakuhachi Lessons, I would certainly love to.
Please contact me off-line at <nyyogetsu@gmail.com>

....or call me at 917-207-6724 if you like.

I would be more than happy to answer all of your questions.
I am in my NYC DOJO on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

I hope that I can see you soon!
Ronnie nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

#6 2015-03-29 10:09:31

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi David,

I really apologize for not having looked at this page on this Forum for some time!

If yoiu still need help in your Shakuhachi Lesson search, I would be more than happy to help you.
If you look at my website <nyogetsu.com>, on the bottom of the EVENTS page, you will see all the times that I will be teaching in Rochester, NY. for 2015. The next time that I will be there is on Sunday, May3rd.

Please contact me off-line, and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have <nyogetsu@gmail.com> or 917-207-6724.

Thank you for your interest!
Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

Board footer