Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-16 23:20:09

4ExpandingBliss
Website

Hi from the cornfields (OK, snowblankets) of Iowa

My name is Steve. I’ve been enjoying the forum for quite awhile and thought it time to thank the moderators and members who make this such an interesting, entertaining, and informative site. I can always find something useful or amusing here. Usually both!

My best friend David, also a forum member, introduced me to the shakuhachi years ago. I was interested…but it was only when I picked up his flute and blew my first note that I really got hooked. I’m not a musician, and have mostly satisfied myself with playing a few notes before or after meditation. I love the feeling that comes with a nice note fading into silence. Sometimes I feel the silence between notes is as important as the notes.

Like many beginners, I have accumulated a few flutes. In my practice I exhibit a bit of Attention Deficit Syndrome—can’t help moving from one flute to another in each session, I love the sound of each—but I haven’t begun to master any one....Sigh...I have a 2.4 A from Jon Kypros (one of his earlies, my first flute); a 2.7 G Hocchiku from Perry Yung (by far my most beautiful flute and the only one I bought new); a 1.8 Jiari acquired from Derek Choice; a 1.9 C# meditation shakuhachi of Jem Klein which my friend gave me; and a 1.8 pvc from Perry which I like because I can take it anywhere anytime, any weather, no worries.

I had an introductory lesson with Michael Chikuzen Gould when I bought a Yuu, and it was invaluable—I recommend every newbie have at least one lesson early on….so many good tips in just one session. My thanks go to everyone who has contributed here; and I encourage every newbie to check out Perry Yung’s youtube videos as well as his site yungflutes.com (lots of tips and fun); Erin Riffel’s “A Shakuhachi Journey” blog (enjoyable reading and introductions to just about every aspect of shakuhachi playing, its performers, teachers, makers, and links to more); and never hesitate to ask a question from any of the teachers, shakuhachi makers, or players you come across. I’ve found everyone to be extremely helpful, friendly, and patient (I can’t imagine how many times they’ve answered the same questions).

The softest thing in the universe
Overcomes the hardest thing in the universe.
Lao Tsu, Tao Te Ching

#2 2011-02-17 03:04:31

Jam

Re: Hi from the cornfields (OK, snowblankets) of Iowa

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your playing.

#3 2011-02-17 16:00:23

airin
Website

Welcome, great to have you join in the fun on the forum!

#4 2011-02-17 22:18:39

J Ross
Website

Welcome and have fun!!!

Board footer