Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2014-11-07 10:19:57

GermanBamboo

Hello from Germany.

Hello fellow Shakuists

I am totally new to this kind of Japanese bamboo flute, and my first instrument is a cheap version a friend bought at eBay (claimed as self-made 1.8 in D). I already have some doubts about the instrument.
At least, just after a few blows I already got my first two sounds! Hope to progress over the months and years.

Usually I am not much into goals - I don’t like competitions or having high expectations - but I think, having at least a kind of idealistic target can be a good motivation, if you don't overestimate your ability.
So I have two songs in mind I would like to be able to perform. How long it takes? Who knows? That's never a criterion for me. :-)

Nice to be here.

Rob

Silence is the original state of the world

#2 2014-11-11 01:49:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Hello from Germany.

Welcome to the forum. There is a saying in Japanese, it takes 3 years to learn to shake your head. This is a reference to shakuhachi vibrato but a metaphor for anything. So you can probably learn the 2 songs in 5 minutes but if you want to use vibrato it'll take 3 years.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2014-11-11 13:29:14

GermanBamboo

Re: Hello from Germany.

Thank you for the welcome :-)

As I said, time has not much meaning for me. Even if it would take ten years I am fine with that, because I am not in a hurry.

Silence is the original state of the world

Board footer