Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » What thread do you use for binding? (I like Yung's binding)

#1 2006-10-02 15:16:08

Toffe

What thread do you use for binding? (I like Yung's binding)

Everyone talks about Monofilement thread for binding. Could someone please explain what it is?
Is it just normal plain fishingline (the kind that is shiny and smooth). I'm from Sweden and that word is a bit hard to find here.

What thread does Perry Yung use? I noticed the black bindings on some of his flutes. They look so beautiful.
What do you use to seal it? If you seal it...

I tried superglue, but I had to polish the thread to keep it from going all milky. Didn't look good at all.

// Chris the Swede.

#2 2006-10-18 03:31:06

Toffe

Re: What thread do you use for binding? (I like Yung's binding)

Never mind... I figured it out smile

I'm going to the fishing store to get som braided thread.

#3 2006-10-18 10:18:06

edosan
Edomologist

Monofilament is just that: Mono+filament, i.e., it is not constructed of braided fibers, but is instead only one continuous piece of material, usually a strong polymer of some kind. It is typically used in fly fishing.

Perry Yung has, in the past, used various colors of strong polished nylon thread to bind his flutes, but more lately he uses fishing monofilament.

It is stronger and more elastic (it can be purchased in various weights and strengths, such a '20 pound test' or '50 pound test', which is the
  force at which it fails.

It looks better than thread to many (me, for one), as it is generally clear or light green in color.

When applying the monofilament binding, its elasticity allows a lot of pressure to be applied to the wrapping.

It's not usually necessary to apply super glue the entire wrap (indeed, I've never used super glue on monofilament at all), only a few drops to
  the knotted/overlapped area on the back side of the flute. This applies to thread binding as well.

I like pretty heavy monofilament--30 to 50 pound test--I think it's easier to handle than the thin stuff.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2006-10-18 14:55:48

Toffe

Thx!

yeah, I kind of like the mono-look too. I used some rather heavy monofilament thread on a side-blown flute I made. Looked really good. I didn't add any glue either.
I pulled the end in a crossing movement, saw that somewhere, and it came out really nice (to my eyes).
That leavs a nice symetric cross under the thread instead of a random diagonal line. I liked it.

But I have seen alot of flutes lately that has black binding. Especially some of Mr.Yung's flutes... and I think it looks awsome!
They look kind of braided to me.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-18 17:32:57)

#5 2006-10-18 17:28:06

gmiller

Toffe - go to a shoe repair shop; look at the thread they have; you might something useful....

#6 2006-10-18 17:32:43

Toffe

That's a great idea! They ought to have some really good looking hardworking thread.

// Chris the Swede

#7 2006-10-18 18:56:45

edosan
Edomologist

If you do get thread from a shoe repair, make sure it's not waxed thread, but polished thread.

For shoe repair, waxed thread is often used because the wax serves as a lubricant for the thread in certain applications. As a binding on
shakuhachi, it will just gather dust and other detritus, and it may slip.

Any shoe repair should have both kinds.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » What thread do you use for binding? (I like Yung's binding)

Board footer