Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Applying Tung Oil in the bore... is there a good way?

#1 2006-10-10 14:54:14

Toffe

Applying Tung Oil in the bore... is there a good way?

I just bought a big can of real natural tung oil, it's awsome. I oiled the utaguchi on a nonroot shakuhachi I'm working on. One coating (I did it a little bit too thick) and the surface is like a dream! Its just awsome. I love it!

But when I have finished working on it I will oil the whole thing on the outside and inside the bore.
The thing is that you have to apply rather thin layers. I pretty much rubbed the oil in on the outside with a cloth.
How should I apply it to the inside? I could of course just cover up the holes and let the oil run from side to side of the bore, but I'm afraid that will result in way to thick coating.
Should I let it run inside first and then run a small piece of cloth on a stick inside the tube?

How do you guys do it?

By the way... I just finished my first successful utaguchi. It's great! Sounds really nice and plays easy.

// Chris from Sweden

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-10 14:54:32)

#2 2006-10-10 15:21:44

dstone
Website

Re: Applying Tung Oil in the bore... is there a good way?

Toffe, I have a little experience, but not much, with tung oil and flutes.  I'll tell you what I think I know.

It's not difficult, but there is lots of waiting involved and I'm not sure it really improves the flute significantly.  As a moisture-proof barrier, I think it's good.  Breath condensation clearly beads up in a tung-oiled bore, compared to my raw flutes.  I don't think it would necessarily reduce cracking, and any effect on the flutes' sound was not noticed by me.  I did it for mold protection in one flute, but it's hard to say if it is significantly better than a raw bore.

I applied tung oil to the entire bore by taping up the finger holes and root-end hole and sloshing around a bunch of oil inside it.  (The oil can be poured out and re-used for another flute, if you're thrifty.)  This approach dried to tacky within 48 hours, but then took a very long time (weeks++) to harden.  While in a tacky state, be very careful about running a cloth through it -- the oil will catch lint and fluff (and dust from the room, etc.)  If you use tung oil with drying or other agents added, I think this time can be shortened, but then your flute will smell like petroleum for a while.

Question for you about oiling the outside of the flute...  Bamboo skin doesn't absorb anything very readily (compared to the bore), so do you think you're actually getting anything to soak into the bamboo through the skin? 

I'd like to hear about any substance that can darken/affect the outside surface of a flute.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-10-10 15:41:42

Toffe

Thank you for your reply.
The oil I'm using is very pure and rather thick so I think I will go for some kind of spunge on a stick for the bore. Might try the taping and sloshing (there's gotta be some cool japanese word for "sloshing").

As for the question weither the bamboo will absorb the oil on the outside. Yes it did, especially the tung oil went well.
Tung oil has extremely tiny molecules (even smaller than raw linseed oil molecules and they are 0,000005 mm). I heard it's been used to oil the chinese stone wall.
The molecules is so small it will even be absorbed by metal and stone. You just need a few coatings on a boat and it's ready to float. It's really an awsome oil.

There ought to be some oils that darkens it. I tried some olive oil on a sideblown flute. It went a little bit more dark yellow.
I heard from a boatmaker that Timberex is a non-glossy penetrating oil that will bring out the deep tones of the natural color of the material.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-10 15:47:29)

#4 2006-10-10 21:11:09

Moran from Planet X
Website

We might want to request a little In-Service Training from other shakuhachi makers on the forum on how to apply a thin coat of brown urushi to the bore of hocchiku and how to cure it. That seems to be an acceptable alternative to leaving the bore raw and still being able to identify the instrument as a true hocchiku.

That and/or a transparent brown (urushi-like) American lacquer substitute which would take the place of the urushi yet still preserve the traditional look.

I have heard from more than one shakuhachi person that oiling the bore is ill advised.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2006-10-12 04:46:35)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2006-10-14 22:44:21

peteross
Website

Chris,

I dont' use urushi anymore as I've become allergicto it , but this is what I learned.  Use very little on the brush, as it tends to spread more than you think it will.  It's almost like you pat it on with the brush.  You need to cure it in a wet box as urushi dries best in a damp environment.  Put wet rags or sponges in a wooden or cardboard box and leave the flute over night between coats.  It dries quickly, but can take a year or more to cure.

Wear gloves to protect your skin and a respirator.

Peter

#6 2006-10-15 23:39:00

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Chris,

Chris Moran wrote:

We might want to request a little In-Service Training from other shakuhachi makers on the forum on how to apply a thin coat of brown urushi to the bore of hocchiku and how to cure it.

I use a long urushi brush I got from Mejiro. It's like a toothbrush made from human hair except that the handle is made from a 30" sliver of bamboo. As Peter mentioned, it should be used as sparingly as possible. I use surgical gloves and usually wear long sleeves and a respirator mask as the fumes from the open tube is enough to cause a rash if it meets open skin. After the urushi is applied, I place the bamboo in a humid box with a cup of water. From what I was told, the ideal humidity level is around 65 - 70 percent.  My humid box is a long Sterilite tub. The fumes can also stick to clothes so I change my cloths afterwards since I wrangle small children these days.

I know a maker who was applying urushi in his kitchen while boiling water for ramen and had to be rushed to the nearest hospital in an ambulance when he suddenly found him self gasping for air.  The rash can be a minor nuisance to some but can be incapacitating for others. Do not mess with Japanese urushi unless you've done your research

That seems to be an acceptable alternative to leaving the bore raw and still being able to identify the instrument as a true hocchiku.

The way it was shown to me, Hocchiku has no additions what so ever. A lot of Jinashi flutes only have a coat of urushi with no Ji at all. I guess the thinking is once you start adding stuff, where do you draw the line?

I have heard from more than one shakuhachi person that oiling the bore is ill advised.

I've never oiled a bore but have played some shakuhachi flutes with oiled bores. It's impossible to say if they're better or worse but the smell could be an issue.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2006-10-16 03:38:34

Toffe

Thank you for your great input! I must say that I think that my flute have a little bit more clear tone after the tung oil treatment.
It lost a little bit of "hissing" noise. Now I have to smooth out the surface inside and apply a second coating.

I'm not a 100% sure it sounds better but I believe it's a tiny bit different. But then again, I'm a beginner both at building and playing.

Is there any other nice laquers that's useable if you don't what to use urushi?
I would like to have some black or read laquer that cures to a hard and smooth surface. Urushi is way out of my league.
What could I use?

#8 2006-10-16 09:50:58

edosan
Edomologist

I'd posit the notion that your flute is 'sounding better', and has 'less hissing' mostly because, in continuing to play it, you have
improved in your technique.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-10-16 09:51:26)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2006-10-16 10:18:51

Toffe

That's probably true to some extent. But I do believe the flute itself sounds a little bit more clear. The tung oil does give the bore a harder surface and that should affect the sound. It seems a bit louder and more clear. I'll try to polish it up and apply a second coating to see what happens to it.

Edosan, do you have any nice suggestions on other laquers than urushi and cashew that might be used to seal, harden and color the inside?

I can't believe how much fun this is. I've been surfing laquer the entire day (at work.. ugh!), and I just can't think about anything else but flute-making. Am I loosing my mind?

// Chris the Swede

#10 2006-10-16 10:59:23

edosan
Edomologist

You are losing your mind.

But you'll probably get over it.

Mostly...

There are many commercial lacquers available that you might use, but there are a couple of issues with those:

• Many have volatile thinners and dryers in them which, even though they blow off fairly quickly, may be objectionable or even slightly toxic.

• It's not always easy with these lacquers to find a happy balance between drying time and application time: If you have a quick-drying lacquer, application must be done quickly to get an even coating, whereas slower drying lacquers may have longer lasting volatile residues.

Perry Yung put a commercial lacquer (red) in a 2.1 I got from him, and it had a very faint odor for a short while when it was new, but that dissipated completely in a few weeks. He put brown urushi in a 2.8 he made for me, and it was very dry and hard when I received the flute--I'm not sensitive to urushi, so that's not an issue for me (both flutes are jinashi).

I suggest asking Perry about the lacquer he put in my 2.1:

yungflutes<at>yahoo.com

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#11 2006-10-16 19:25:05

jamesnyman

What about using wood hardening resin to seal the bore? It is a thin liquid. You can plug the bore at the bell end, tape off the holes and just pour it in. Wait a few minutes and pour it out. As far as I can tell, it does not have any "thickness". It just soaks in and seals and hardens the bore. It does leave a slight sheen.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#12 2006-10-16 19:45:17

gmiller

Shellac - the only true moisture barrier, can be thinned for better penetration, dries quickly, does not require sanding between coats, cures hard, cures glossy, AND.... is non-toxic, readily available, inexpensive. Apply it as described in James' post above or spot apply w/ a sumi-e brush for spot tuning....
Also works great as an exterior sealer/coat....

#13 2006-10-17 07:54:25

Toffe

That's a great idea. My alto-guitar is laquered with shellac. Looks and feels great. It's rather sensitive though, but that won't be a problem inside a bore.

Is there any shellac aroound that you may mix with pigment or any sort of coloring powder.
I'd like a dark smooth black or red urushi-like surface.

#14 2006-10-17 13:14:22

gmiller

I have used Crayola powder pigment (kid's water color powder) and mixed it w/ Shellac very successflully. You need to apply a clear coat over the pigmented coat.
Shellac comes in a Clear and Amber hue. The Amber imparts a warm hue to the material.

Your guitar probably has a "French Polish" finish (Shellac - hand rubbed to build up layers)...

#15 2006-10-17 15:17:02

Moran from Planet X
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Chris ... The way it was shown to me, Hocchiku has no additions what so ever. A lot of Jinashi flutes only have a coat of urushi with no Ji at all. I guess the thinking is once you start adding stuff, where do you draw the line? ...

Namaste, Perry

Yes, that's the way I have understood the term as well, but it seems the term is evolving here in the west -- by at least one recognized teacher/maker and perhaps a couple of other professionals.

Very personally, as a student and enthusiast, I believe it is a term that may be misused often by amatuer makers to identify a flute which appears to be a hocchiku but is incapable of achieving the more complex but necessary fingerings for traditional japanese and zen music.

I'm too unschooled to be a purist or an innovator and I'm not a maker. Making flutes does fascinate me and one day when I get enough physical space I'll explore the fundamentals of it for my own enjoyment.

The most pressing concern for some of us who appreciate "hocchiku" is keeping them whole and preferably uncracked in arid environments, so sealing the bore seems logical.  At that time I guess they become utaguchi-inlay-less jinashi.

These flutes are evolving in interesting ways in the west.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2006-10-17 15:17:20)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#16 2006-10-17 21:55:00

edosan
Edomologist

The only reliable way to reduce the likelihood of cracking is to bind the flute, alas.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#17 2006-10-18 02:05:01

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

The only reliable way to reduce the likelihood of cracking is to bind the flute, alas.

Then a thin coat of urushi or sealer (shellac, lacquer, etc), applied well, won't help reduce the chance of cracking at all?

#18 2006-10-18 08:47:39

gmiller

Woods warp and check and crack because of imbalanced absorbtion/desorbtion of moisture. Whatever you do to one side you must also do to the other. In other words, seal one side and now you must seal the other to put things into balance. Now open a piece of bamboo and you have raw unsealed interior and an osmotic skin exterior; the interior will absorb/desorb faster then the exterior. A thin coat of sealer helps bring this back into balance. In the case of jiari bores which are built up and sealed many times the exterior will absorb and desorb faster then the interior. Here, binding is the only answer. So, if you plan to seal and finish coat the bore better plan on adding about nine bindings. If you plan on leaving the interior raw then bindings are less important, but still can be a good idea if you live in very dry climes or subject the flute to extremes of temp. changes. Another option: seal and finish coat both interior and exterior which was an old samuai technique to deal w/ cracks....

#19 2006-10-18 09:50:44

Toffe

Just a question about shellac. Isn't shellac a bit sensitive againt moisture?
And is there a problem with the components that will destroy some of the bamboo-fibres considering shellac is built up of desolved cellulose-grains (forgive my not so correct vocabulary in these matters.. but hey.. second language here.).

I mean is there a risk that the same chemicals that will melt the grains also will ruin some of the bamboo fibres?
And is it a good idea as bore-protector considering what water will do to it?

Has anyone tried shellac inside?

Most humbly.
// Chris the Swede.

PS. It's amazing how much I've learned over the last few says by reading through this forum. Amazing! DS.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-18 09:51:47)

#20 2006-10-18 10:05:27

dstone
Website

gmiller wrote:

Another option: seal and finish coat both interior and exterior which was an old samuai technique to deal w/ cracks....

Or the old fast-food technique of deep-frying your bamboo before you make it into a flute.  yikes   Bottom of the page has a "french fried" theory.

Toffe, by the way, if you haven't stumbled across Nelson Zink's site already, you might enjoy it.  Nelson has generously shared a lot of research, math, and ideas about ways to build better flutes.  Not "better" in the traditional sense though, so go with an open mind.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2006-10-18 10:11:10)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#21 2006-10-18 10:37:04

gmiller

Toffe -  Shellac is a totally natural product. It is the dried secretion of the Lac bug. Shellac flakes are dissolved in denatured alcohol. The alcohol is the vehicle and flashes off leaving only the shellac. It is a true moisture barrier and water resistent, but not water proof. It is non-toxic. i have used it for many years; it will not harm the bamboo.... I'm sure you can Google more info on Shellac; in any case, always a good idea to have as much info on a finish material as possible before deciding if it's right for the application....

#22 2006-10-18 17:37:32

Toffe

Thx guys. Yeah Zink's notes are great... even if some of his ideas seem abit too drastic for me as a beginner.

I also just want to inform that the second coating of tung oil has just dried in the bore. It's not completely cured but it ok.
The flute definitively sound different. More volume and a clearer tone. I will add a third and last coating in a few days and then leave it to cure for a week or so.

// Chris the Swede.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-18 17:38:24)

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Applying Tung Oil in the bore... is there a good way?

Board footer