Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-13 14:46:43

Toffe

Christian shakuhachi players/music

Hello fellow travellers...

I've been listening to and reading about the shakuhachi for years, and now finally I've started playing it. It just amazing!
I'm waaaaay to excited about this (as some of you may have noticed).

Being a christian my interest in the shakuhachi and my practise in building and playing the flute, is not an expression of
buddhist beliefs or practise. It's rather an expression of my worship of God and my fellowship with Jesus. I want to be
like daddy... creative! Also it really helps me into the quiet contemplation where I, in the midst of all the buzz of life,
finally let God speak to me. As life grows on me with responsibilites, full time work and being a father to a little girl
and a husband to my wonderful wife... I find it harder to get to that place where it is finally quiet enough around me.

I do however respect and honor the roots of the Shakuhachi. Don't think otherwise... I am here to learn.

But it would be great to connect with other christians that plays the instrument. To share experiences, thoughts and prayers.

The only one I've come across so far is Robert Jonas of The Empty Bell.
Is there more people out there?
Perhaps someone on this forum...

Peace.
// Chris the Swede

#2 2006-11-13 15:27:39

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Christian shakuhachi players/music

hi Chris,
I am christian too.

Back home I was music director for my church.

peace,
Geni

#3 2006-11-13 15:33:57

Toffe

That's great.
I've been listening to your music earlier I like it alot!

// Chris

#4 2006-11-13 16:05:53

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I am working on a version of Poor Wayfering Stranger,
I will be done tonight, I will send it to you.

Peace
Geni

#5 2006-11-13 16:30:17

Toffe

I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

// Chris

#6 2006-11-13 19:51:49

gmiller

Toffe...., with all due respect; I am dismayed to read these posts here on this forum. I hope we do not have to endure an evangelical Christian vibe here. Many people read this forum from many cultures and beliefs with a common interest; shakuhachi....... Can we keep our personal spiritual beliefs.... personal?

Perhaps a new forum... "Christian Shakuhachi" would be in order.....

In Peace... Slainche

George

Last edited by gmiller (2006-11-13 19:53:15)

#7 2006-11-13 20:08:45

amokrun

gmiller wrote:

Perhaps a new forum... "Christian Shakuhachi" would be in order.....

I'm not sure if you were half joking, so if you were, you got me. Anyhow, the problem with that is that soon you'd need all kinds of forums for all kinds of special groups that most likely have nothing to do with shakuhachi. The Zen forum makes sense because there is a real connection between the two. The only connection between Christianity and shakuhachi is that there are some people who are interested in both.

One of the reasons I liked many Asian religions, Zen and Taoism foremost, is that they tend to promote the kind of "try to make the best of yourself and leave others be as they are" attitude. To earn my 10 Zen points today, I would recommend simply skipping threads that are about topics that do not interest you. Doing so also gives you 10 Zen points, which hopefully help a bit if you do or have ever done any zazen. Too bad that's not enough to make the knee pain go away. :-)

#8 2006-11-13 20:40:38

gmiller

amokrun...  No I'm not joking.  I like this forum the way it was set up; a discussion about shakuhachi. Secondly, thank you, but I'll read any thread that I wish. Simply put: I do not like the "Christian" ideology, but respect "Christians" and all others, et. al.      All I'm saying is; forums tend to go far afield of the oringinal purpose. it would be a shame to see this forum take that direction.

Ps. I don't have knee pain w/zazen. but I'll take the 10 zen pts anyway....

Last edited by gmiller (2006-11-13 20:46:57)

#9 2006-11-13 20:56:32

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

We all have in common Shakuhachi,

I very happy to see shakuhachi all over the world. Playing japanese music, pop, jazz , zen, christian music etc.
Thats the way to be seen.
Whatever Toffe and Me belive , its personal,
He didn`t invitate anybody in Church:-) 

Anyway, I am not  going to reply to this thread again.

Geni

Last edited by geni (2006-11-13 21:00:31)

#10 2006-11-13 21:11:45

gmiller

Me either.... Geni, I respect your moderation.

Peace

George

#11 2006-11-13 22:35:43

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

you are not alone in this regard, Toffe.

One of my shakuhachi students is an Episcopal Priest. A former student of mine was a Methodist minister.  Both of these fine people are very spiritual people and very open minded about other religious beliefs.

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#12 2006-11-14 01:32:00

Toffe

Thank you all for your input.
Gmiller... it was not my intentions to offend anyone. But it is important for me to find some connection with other christian shakuhachi-players,
just as it is important for others that practise buhhdism to connect with eachother.

I really don't believe that you have to be afraid of any "evangelical vibe" here, just because me and a few others say that we are christians.
There is a forum about Zen here which of course is natural since there is a very strong connection. There is also a forum here that says
"miscellaneous" which I would really say that this is. There would be no need for a "christian forum". I am here as a guest.

I am a christian and when I practise, play and build shakuhachi I do it as part of my spiritual expression. I can't "unchristianze" what I do.
Of course I have a deep respect for other peoples beliefs. I mean... I could choose not to touch the shakuhachi because it has connections to Zen.
But I am here... Beacause you guys are here. I am here to learn, not to preach. This thread was a wish to connect with people, not going on
a crusade. I love the instrument. And I love God! So I play to the glory of God. I am also very interested in learning how other christian
musicians view their playing, and this is the only place I know of where shakuhachi players around the world meet.

So gmiller, I'm sorry if you are offended that I am a christian. But maybe you could somehow see this as an opportunity to learn how people
with other beliefs and philosofies than Zen, also grows and deepen spritually by the shakuhachi music. There is nothing wrong with knowledge.

There are shakuhachi players deeply involved in the christian-buddhist dialogue. Since there are many connections.

But yet again... this thread was started to connect people not to offend. If you read the first post again, you'll see that there is
nothing offensive with it. It's just a humble request. Isn't it amazing that the shakuhachi can mean so much and express so much
for people no matter what beliefs they have?

In love.
// Chris.

#13 2006-11-14 07:25:10

gmiller

Chris - no offense taken

Peace

George

#14 2006-11-14 21:24:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

When Ken and I set up the forum it was specifically designed to deflate these kinds of arguments which frequently occurred on the shakuhachi mailing lists. Because everybody has a different idea of shakuhachi. On the lists when someone would write, "I am zen" or "I am Christian" people would respond with "What does that have to do with shakuhachi?" or "It's just an instrument". And huge arguments and defections ensued.

That's why we set up categories, so people would not try to impose their idea of shakuhachi upon others and people could post in the appropriate category.

Toffe's question fits comfortably within the topic of "Miscellaneous" and is probably more relevant to shakuhachi than "Off Topic" might be.

Even if someone wants to say something that has nothing to do with shakuhachi, that's what "Off Topic" is there for, except spam.

I'm not a Christian, I'm a Buddhist, but if anybody wants to talk about how they express Christianity with the shakuhachi that's fine as long as they keep it in the right topic. This seemed to sort itself out civilly, which is wonderful. In the future remember to post in the correct topic and if you don't like what you read, you can just ignore it.

Toffe, John Roff, who is on this forum, is a devout Christian and thinks that God led him to the shakuhachi. You might want to contact him, he's a great guy.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#15 2006-11-15 02:53:21

Toffe

Thank you Brian. I will contact him!

And thank you for adminstrating this forum. You have really turned in to a gem on the net.

// Chris

Board footer