Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Elizabthe Brown, Kohei Nishikawa, Flutes from the East and the West.

#1 2011-02-14 11:03:15

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Elizabthe Brown, Kohei Nishikawa, Flutes from the East and the West.

Flutes from the East and the West concert review.
Presented by Music from Japan, Baruch College, New York City. Feb 12, 2011

Hi All, Kinda busy in the shop today but I just wanted to share some quick thoughts.

The concert was a shared evening of traditional Japanese and modern flute music featuring original compositions  by Elizabeth Brown. It started with Kohei Nishikawa playing a sublime, intimate note on a shinobue flute and ended in a duet with Elizabeth that displayed some of the most dazzling, virtuosic playing I've ever seen. Often times, Nishikawa held two flutes and switched back and forth in order to be able to play in two modes (or more). Seeing how he choreographed the switching so as not to interrupt the flow of music was quite illuminating. Elizabeth arranged a duet version of a traditional Honkyoku, San'ya Sugagaki that was masterfully performed by both. I was particularly struck by the power of the staging. With a slow, Butoh-like walk around Kohei, Elizabeth conjured the spirit of the Komuso. It was beautiful in it's simplicity and evocative in it's allusion.

Their pyro-technical wizardry was breathtaking but what was easily apparent was their masterful and mature care in sharing their passion for the music. The concert encapsulated much of what I personally love about live performances - mystery, beauty, dissonance, virtuosity, humor and above all, generous sharing of life experience.

I am looking forward to hearing more!

Now back to the shop...or should I blow RO for ten minutes...smile

- Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2011-02-14 13:00:54)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2011-02-14 14:56:26

Kohl
Website

Re: Elizabthe Brown, Kohei Nishikawa, Flutes from the East and the West.

Great review Perry. It was a remarkable evening of music--an impressive range. Traditional, modern and deeply personal all at the same time. Very transporting. I was affected by the staging as well. They used the space to offer dimensions of texture and shape that urged the audience into an experience beyond simply listening to music. It was like hearing with the eyes, seeing with the ears. It was also clear they both really love playing the music and playing it with each other. The passion was so contagious. And that last piece "Synchronie" was like a Shaman's Blow. Playful and powerful. Words fall short.

My one regret is ordering that tokyo fried chicken at the ramen place after. It was, however, good to hang with you and Austin for a bit. Thanks man.

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#3 2011-02-14 18:58:07

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Kohl wrote:

My one regret is ordering that tokyo fried chicken at the ramen place after. It was, however, good to hang with you and Austin for a bit. Thanks man.

It looked good from where I was sitting smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2011-02-16 01:22:02

Austin Shadduck
Website

The concert was brilliant. I had never heard Elizabeth play before, and what a pure, earthy tone! Kohei Nishikawa was entrancing as well, especially on the nohkan. If any instrument could rouse the dead, it would be that one. Synchronie blew my mind. According to Wikipedia it was written for two flutes or flute and shakuhachi. I can't imagine playing either part on shakuhachi!

I enjoyed the hanging out as well. I'm sorry the chicken was offensive. That's what I call "fowl play."

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

#5 2011-02-17 08:31:42

Kohl
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

It looked good from where I was sitting smile

Tasted damn good too, I must admit smile

Austin Shadduck wrote:

I'm sorry the chicken was offensive. That's what I call "fowl play."

Naw man, that pun is "fowl play"wink! Seriously though, it was good to listen to music with you. I'd appreciate hearing more of your thoughts about it at some point. I'm sure you were hearing all sorts of things my compositionally-untrained ear missed. I was tuned into the subtle, masterful stagecraft as that is what my eye is developed to see. Anyway, let's hook up for the next one, whatever/whenever it will be.

Last edited by Kohl (2011-02-17 08:32:11)

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Elizabthe Brown, Kohei Nishikawa, Flutes from the East and the West.

Board footer