Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-07 08:25:37

Toffe

Making a straight bore tapered.. how do I do it?

I've read about something (don't recall the name of it) that builders apply inside the bore to make it more tapered or to "fine-tune" the bore.
Where I live (Sweden) it's next to impossible to get hold of root-end pieces. The only kind of bamboo I can get right now is oil-lamps put on 150 cm bamboo-rods.
Those are great for flutemaking but they are mostly almost straight in the bore.

Is there something I could use to taper the bore so that it will be more in tune in the higher octaves?
What do people use, and how do I get hold of/make it?

regards.
// Chris the Swede.

*** edit ***
Is it called Ji?

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-07 11:42:59)

#2 2006-10-07 18:46:45

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Making a straight bore tapered.. how do I do it?

Chris,

Here is a link to some discussion on that topic.

Ken

#3 2006-10-07 19:19:04

gmiller

Chris - consuder plaster of paris, or "rock hard". I have even used shellac (many coats) to build up a bore. In any case, building a jiari bore shakuhachi is time consuming and will test the patience of the most patient...... consider it a good long tem project.

George

#4 2006-10-08 13:49:25

dstone
Website

To see if a taper will have the approximate effect you're looking for, in a cheap and reversible way....

What if you cut/split a dowel of appropriate diameter in half and then tapered it, shaving the flat face down.  This could be temporarily slid into the flute and attached maybe against the inner side wall with putty or something to test the effect of a "real" taper...

I know the shape of such an insert would be more crude than a final bore filling, but the tuning effect of reducing the profile area while moving down the flute should be similar, right?

Just thinking out loud; I don't know how well this would work.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer